Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali vs Wilt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gets me about this argument is that there have always been big guys in the heavyweight division. And you cannot have a better physique than Primo Canera for example.

As a matter of fact "big guys" were sort of a version of the business fantasy which states "If I could just sell one widget to every person in China." Of, if I could find a guy with a reach so long that he could just stick his arm out...The St Louis Browns actually did this in baseball, and they got away with it! They needed a walk, so the manager is thinking..."man oh man if i can just get a pinch hitter for the pitcher and load the bases up for a great pinch hitter"...well so the manager suddenly realizes that one of the bat boys is a midget. I forget which manager it was...but a smart guy like Billy Martin smart, Earl Weaver smart...so he grabs the midget and pulls him out and calls time. he tells the ump he is making a last minute change to the line up for the game, even if it is the top of the ninth inning. he then throws one of his players out and inserts the midget in the lineup for the game and puts him up there to the plate...

he tells the midget "just crouch down thats all you have to do." so naturally a midgets strike zone being what it is, the pitcher walks the midget! the next guy gets up and wins the game...

So I guess that isn't really the moral of the story but just the same, its not like you can regularly insert midgets in a line up, or look for guys who are bigger, longer armed, etc. It only takes you so far.

Comment

Working...
    X