No announcement yet.

Floyd ducks but Canelo isn't?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
    To an extent I agree with the thread starter. Putting Mayweather and Canelo to the side, the issue of fighters cutting weight then ballooning up on the day of the fight has been discussed in the passed. It has resulted in people suggesting that there should be a limit on the amount fighters can rehydrate, arguments for same day weigh ins etc. Broner has constantly been chastised on this sight for fighting smaller opponents, in spite of the fact that they were either champions in his division or campaigned in the same division.

That being said I think in the long run, fighters do themselves a disservice cutting weight. They pick up bad habits that prevent them from competing when they can no longer cut weight.
    They also go in drained. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

OP saying Canelo is a SMW is off the mark though. Froch is a natural SMW who walks around at the weight and Canelo wouldn't put a dent in him.

As an aside, Alvarez agreed to a 160lb rehydration limit v Matthew Hatton when they fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef99 View Post
      Floyd ducked many fighters, it's true but Canelo is doing the same thing! He's natural middleweight, he weighed 172 pounds against Trout... 172! Forget MW division, he should be fighting Ward for christ sake. I'm not Floyd's fan, never was and never will be but it's unfair for him to fight Super Middleweight. Floyd ducked Cotto, Manny, Margarito, PWill those are straight facts. But Canelo duckes GGG, Martinez, Ward, Kessler and others.
      Sorry buddy, no facts. Just speculations.

Comment

None of those guys are in alveriez division .wtf usually boxer have to lose wight to make wight

Comment

I agree that Mayweather in his 2 fights in 154 don't fight in his real level. But there are easy fights, now canelo isn't easy, why he don't fight him???

Comment

If Canelo weighs in at 154 then he is a legit Jr. middleweight and not ducking any middleweights. If you don't like todays rules of weighing in 30 to 32 hours before the fight then just say so. I don't like today's rules but I don't blame fighters for playing by today's rules. In the days of weighing in a few hours before the fight most of today's fighters would have to fight a weight class higher than they fight at today. Don't forget that fight night weight of 172 Canelo weighed is not a stripped down weight like the weigh in weight. They weigh the fighters shortly before they enter the ring. They have on trunks, boxing shoes, foul protector and two gloves weighing ten ounces each. That stuff weighs about 4 pounds and nobody subtracts that from the fight night weight. Many middleweights have a fight night weight of 180 and I think Chavez Jr. sometimes weighed more than 180 for the fight night weight. Why pick on Canelo for weighing much more on the night of the fight than what he weighed in at when 95% of fighters under heavyweight do the same thing?Trout weighed in at 171 so Canelo had a huge 1 pound advantage.As long as Canelo defends his title against top 10 contenders or other 154 pound champs he is being a good champion. His next fight will probably be with Cotto who is rated in the top 5 154 pounders by all the different ratings. Cotto won't be weighing much less than Canelo when they fight. Canelo had lots of easy defenses but that ended with Trout. I think he will be fighting the top 154 pounders from now on.

Comment

You say Canelo should be fighting Ward? I promise you Ward weighs well into the 180s on the fight night weigh in so by your way of thinking Ward should be fighting at Cruiserweight. Gatti used to have a fightnight weight of 160 when he fought at 140. Almost all the fighters gain large amounts of weight after the weigh in. Ortiz had an HBO fight night weight of 164 when he fought Floyd. It's not cheating so you need to get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                They also go in drained. It has its advantages and disadvantages.

OP saying Canelo is a SMW is off the mark though. Froch is a natural SMW who walks around at the weight and Canelo wouldn't put a dent in him.

As an aside, Alvarez agreed to a 160lb rehydration limit v Matthew Hatton when they fought.
                I exaggerated a little with Canelo fighting Ward, but that was based on his weight. Theoretically he could fight at SMW. But practically he's MW and I don't give a shiet that boxers do that all the time. People talk now how Floyd's ducking Canelo, blah blah blah, picture him as the bad guy while Canelo is a saint. Bull*****, If Canelo has balls, he needs to fight guys of his own size, at his natural weight class.

Comment

garbage thread. Floyd is a 154 pound itle holder . He should man up and fight anothyer 154 pound title holder / of thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cleto_Reyes View Post
                    garbage thread. Floyd is a 154 pound itle holder . He should man up and fight anothyer 154 pound title holder / of thread
                    Haven't you heard?? Canelo is now in elite company. Now he, like Martinez should move to 168 and fight Ward. Why? so Floyd doesn't have to in a weight class he's a 2 time champ in.

Comment

Canelo ducked Lara who was a mandatory, ducked Carlos Molina and fought Cintron after Molina just beat him.

So whos the real ducker here?

Comment

Working...
                      X