End of an era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era?

I'm starting to feel like this era is coming to an end

Martinez is in the later years of his prime. I'm not sure how long he may have left, especially with his style of boxing

We also saw Cotto lose to Trout, a newcomer onto the top scene. Many calls for him to retire. He seems to want to focus more on his kids.

Vitali's reign seems closer to an end. We've seen our k2 duo since 2008, weird to think how one may retire.

Mayweather may not be fighting much longer, we have yet to see how his jail time has affected him. His outing against Cotto wasn't impressive

We obviously saw Pacquaio knocked out, with calls before the fight that he was fading already. Along with this, we have Marquez who's probably on the edge of retirement, as he admitted yesterday

How could I forget, the great Bernard Hopkins. He broke records, but its impossible to keep going like that without turning into an Ali/Jones, and fighting we past their primes (Thanks to JmH Reborn)

Obviously this isn't everyone, but that's a few top fighters in boxing today.
    Perhaps we start a new era very soon?

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by techliam; 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM.

I think you're spot on. Getting more apparent with each passing day.

Comment

I always think its sad when an era ends but boxing will continue with a new crop of equally talented fighters!

Comment

Yeah, 2012 seems to be a transitioning of the old guard to a new guard of sorts.

Hopkins can also be added to the list. JMM can very well be on a receiving end of a butt whupping next. He fights Pac so well, but what about the hungry young lion? Cotto lost to Trout, a hungry young lion. Does he go and fight Canelo and finally sign his retirement letter?

Mayweather wants to fight 2013 two times. Canelo/Guerrero, both will be tough tests.

I don't know, it's happening so fast. Kinda sad, I love Pac/Cotto/May/Hopkins and some of the older vets.

Comment

Nicely put,

Comment

It definitely feels like a changing of the guard. I have a feeling Floyd will hang around for 3-4 more fights though.

Comment

These fighters have giving us a lot of great fights the end is coming. I hope they do retire when the time is right.

Comment

It will never be the same again.

It's a very different era we are living in. It's the age of wireless phones, ipads, e-readers, twitting, facebooking... I don't see a lot of young people watching sports anymore. Anything can distract them. They can't focus on one single thing. Boxing is one the last sports they would spend time watching. Especially when they see fights that are more focused on defense rather than offense.

Comment

i dont think so at all.

i see both floyd and manny fighting on for a couple more years. once your name is worth ppv money, fighters find it very hard to walk away.

floyd and manny will be the same since they are the most successful ppv fighters in history.

Comment

New players entering the scene. Give a couple of years, it'll all be about Ward, Broner, Donaire, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X