No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. on an all-time level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    It's more impressive to lose to Ray Leonard in a close fight than win comfortably over an overrated Diego Corrales. The class of your opposition counts for more than any "0".

Poet
    Completely disagree. I refuse to credit people for losing a fight over people that actually won. And Diego Corrales happened to be the best guy in the weight division to fight. Not Floyd's problem there was no Ray Leonard there at the time.

Do you have any idea how many ordinary fighters almost beat a great fighter? Those performances are suppose to be more impressive than anything Floyd did? Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      Completely disagree. I refuse to credit people for losing a fight over people that actually won. And Diego Corrales happened to be the best guy in the weight division to fight. Not Floyd's problem there was no Ray Leonard there at the time.

Do you have any idea how many ordinary fighters almost beat a great fighter? Those performances are suppose to be more impressive than anything Floyd did? Please.
      Sorry, but it's not just what you do it's who you do it against (and when you do it against them). I'm not giving Floyd a passer just because there was no one better around than overrated Corrales. I don't cut Marciano any slack either for not having anyone better than a past-prime Ezzard Charles. The tougher a fighters opposition the more losses he will have. Nobody is going undefeated while fighting a lot of high quality opponents.

Poet

Comment

I would also point out that Ali's 56-5 record ****s all over Mayweather's 41-0 record.

Poet

Comment

I would also point out that Ali's 56-5 record ****s all over Mayweather's 41-0 record.

Poet
          There's no shame in that. Ali has one of the best records of all-time.

But would you consider Mayweather an ATG? Maybe in the top 50 of all-time?

Comment

Originally posted by -Super- View Post
            There's no shame in that. Ali has one of the best records of all-time.

But would you consider Mayweather an ATG? Maybe in the top 50 of all-time?
            Sure I consider Floyd an ATG. Top 50 p4p? Not sure yet.....lets get his career over and done with so we can get a perspective on it before we give him an exact placing.

My point with Ali's record is that despite the fact he has 5 losses it's still a better record than Floyd's "0". Who you fight counts for more in my book than any "0" against lesser competition.

Poet

Comment

Sure I consider Floyd an ATG. Top 50 p4p? Not sure yet.....lets get his career over and done with so we can get a perspective on it before we give him an exact placing.

My point with Ali's record is that despite the fact he has 5 losses it's still a better record than Floyd's "0". Who you fight counts for more in my book than any "0" against lesser competition.

Poet
              I think it matters on who you beat rather than just who you face. Because you can face all-time great competition, but if you lose to them I won't give you any credit. That's just the way I do it, at least.

But, yes, I agree with you that a perfect record isn't always the greatest record.

Comment

Yeah top 50. He'll be there on most lists I would think but his career isnt over yet and there's fights out there that can enhance his legacy by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by -Super- View Post
                  I think it matters on who you beat rather than just who you face. Because you can face all-time great competition, but if you lose to them I won't give you any credit. That's just the way I do it, at least.

But, yes, I agree with you that a perfect record isn't always the greatest record.
                  Let me ask you this then: Do you give Ali any credit for the performance that he put on in the first Frazier fight? Do you give Leonard any credit for HIS performance in the first fight with Duran?

Poet

Comment

Poet
                    Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Yeah top 50. He'll be there on most lists I would think but his career isnt over yet and there's fights out there that can enhance his legacy by quite a bit.
                    Yes top 50 sounds about right, I dont really seehow he couldn't bean ATG.

Comment

Let me ask you this then: Do you give Ali any credit for the performance that he put on in the first Frazier fight? Do you give Leonard any credit for HIS performance in the first fight with Duran?

Poet
                      I thought Ali beat Frazier in their first fight so I actually give him credit for it.

As for Leonard, I don't count that performance towards his standing as a fighter. I think it showed that he had a fighting spirit and it definitely counts towards his character. But not his standing. The same could be said of Frazier, regarding the Ali fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X