No announcement yet.

UFC no skill involved

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
    Actually, if you really think about it, it is only one sport: FIGHTING.

The difference is that boxing has more regulations since it does not allow for kicks, knees, elbows, and grappling.
    And that's why it is a tougher sport than boxing. I love boxing for so many reasons....but I hate when people say the UFC is glorified street fighting or whatever. You have to train harder in so many more ways for a single opponent in the UFC. You also don't get points for "just throwing punches" like in boxing. A fighter has to be well rounded and well conditioned to make any impact in the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by mic573 View Post
      This argument is really getting old. They are two different sports.
      amen man, may as well be comparing basketball and baseball, im tired of it, i dont have a problem with MMA but i will never spend a dollar to see it, its just too anti-climactic for my taste.

Comment

The thing I love about the UFC is this:

You may not have a 12 round slugfest like Gatti vs. Ward.......but at least at the end of the day something is ALWAYS resolved. There is a clear winner. You don't have weeks of arguments like "FLOYD WON" "NO OSCAR DID", etc. Yo uknow who won. Somebody either tapped, got KTFO, or clearly won a decision. There is rarely, if ever, controversy.

Also, to my point....how often do we actually get great fights in boxing? Gatti v. Ward or Corrales v. Castillo only come around so often. Sure, there are plenty of good fights to be seen...but more **** fights than great fights.

Comment

I dont think thats true. MMA seems almost totaly random in the outcome of fights. Nothing gets resolved. You just come away from alot of MMA fights with a lame taste in your mouth.

Alot of the excitment with MMA has to do with the commentators. If boxing had commentators like that, who were constantly screaming and being excited, alot of fights would be alot more exciting.

Instead we have Jim Lampley and company bashing fighters and generaly being downers in a fight. Good commentary can save alot of otherwise ordinary fights. That is what the UFC has is exciting commentary. If you watch UFC with the sound off, it is perhaps the lamest thing in the world.

It honestly resembles a cripple fight. Skill wise, BJJ is not as difficult as people make it out to be. Its alot easier to become good at than boxing. If you have ever actualy been to a BJJ gym, alot of the time required to move up in rank is due to gym politics, and not the difficulty in learning the skills.

Comment

Gatti Ward was 10 rounds. lol

and what are you talking about, plenty of fights go to decision. and there have been tons of controversial fights, and even robberies, although not as bad as boxing admittedly.

mma has good finishes and moments, but inbetween, its mostly just spots of nothingness. I just dont get why the casual UFC fans go wild when two guys 'slug it out' as they say rather than go to the ground, when thats the whole damn point of boxing, except with better punchers in there.

saying MMA is tougher is just stupid. it depends on the fights and fighters.
            ________
            Mexicocity Hotel
            Last edited by Steak; 02-11-2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

lol, you're right, it was only 10 rounds...wel 30 rounds if you add them up....but still, you get my point.

i watch both boxing and ufc religously, and in my opinion, there is always resolution.

also, until you've actually competed in some martial art, how can you comment on how easy or hard it is? I've been training and competing in Judo for 7 years, wrestled all 4 years of high school, and I'm telling you, ****'s not easy. Think what you want, but until youve been in an arm bar or rendered unconcious on the mat, i don't really think you know what you;re talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Conmemay View Post
                it's funny to me when i hear some boxers claiming mma fighters have no skill. If that is the case, why dont the boxers prove their skills by fighting the mma fighter in an mma match ? chances are they will be embarrassed and shown how their so-called elite boxing skill is not enough to beat an elite mma fighter. there's no doubt that they have better striking skill as that is the only they train for but that is wayyy too 1-dimension to be able to compete in mma. there are alot more than just striking when it comes to fighting. Hopkins, Mayweather, Taylor... will all get owned in mma. fact!
                And every one of you stupid grappling ***gots would get owned boxing. What are you trying to prove? I, personally, find it hilarious that anytime someone wants to show how COOL, EXCITING, and SKILLED MMA is they always bring boxing up into it and knock it. Dana White and Joe Rogan do it daily, as if that's there only way to make UFC look better. Both are ****ing idiots and almost the entire fanbase that does NOT practice MMA but rather just watches it and then wrestles around in there backyards like ****ing ****s are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                  who cares, ALL mma fighters get owned in mma, other than Fedor! FACT
                  and most all mma fighters would get owned by the lowest journeyman in boxing, also fact. so whats your point?

and mma fighters would lose against a top notch weapon-using fighter...thats means theyre inferior some mma fans need to wake up and realize that mma does not=a real street fight.
                  not true brother! 99.9 % of all street fights end up on the floor (known fact) that is why the Brazilian art of Nu-Ji-Tsu (Grappling) won in the "Battle of the Masters" of Martial Arts. It beat the Karate Master with ease, Kung-fu, Kick Boxer, Tae-Kwon-Do, and many respectable art forms were proven to be beatable by the Nu-ji-Tsu Master. Boxing, however, did have the greater force of impact on the head, with a strike of the hands (arms). To say that a Boxer can take out a Martial Artist is an overstatement. Remember that a Boxer CAN NOT grab his opponent, while his opponent uses every part of his body.

Comment

no, the point is, that in a street fight, you can get stabbed or shot. Or attacked by multiple people. MMA does not equal a street fight. Neither is boxing...there are WAY too many variables in a street fight, and when it gets down to it, mma has just as many rules and conditions as boxing.

and other guy, punchers chance, ive done my share of the other arts too. Wrestling especially is hard as hell. But going 12 rounds getting hit and punching with only short 1 minute breaks is WAY more of a strain on the body...Its straining enough not even going that many rounds.

There are ways to stall and get a break in each sport. It all depends on how intense the match is. There is no absolute.
                    ________
                    Herbal vaporizers
                    Last edited by Steak; 02-11-2011, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by punchers_chance View Post
                      The thing I love about the UFC is this:

You may not have a 12 round slugfest like Gatti vs. Ward.......but at least at the end of the day something is ALWAYS resolved. There is a clear winner. You don't have weeks of arguments like "FLOYD WON" "NO OSCAR DID", etc. Yo uknow who won. Somebody either tapped, got KTFO, or clearly won a decision. There is rarely, if ever, controversy.

Also, to my point....how often do we actually get great fights in boxing? Gatti v. Ward or Corrales v. Castillo only come around so often. Sure, there are plenty of good fights to be seen...but more **** fights than great fights.

I disagree. We've already had fights like Miranda vs Pavlik, Mormeck vs Bell, Marquez vs Barrera, R Marques vs Vasquez, Mijares vs Arce, Kessler vs Andrade and this is just off the top of my head and some of the more popular fighters. How many of those have we had in the UFC this year?

Comment

Working...
                      X