Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fights that tarnished the legacy of otherwise great fighters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think OP has fights where the best fought the best confused with tarnish.

Comment

Apollo Creed vs young Ivan Drago. Actually anyone who got beaten by Balboa including Tommy Gunn on the streets.

Already mentioned but RJJ against milk dud and then Johnson KO losses back to back, but the rubber match against Tarver may have been the most important because it was the chance for Roy to overcome that by winning the trilogy. Instead he showed some flash in 1 round and then couldn't pull the trigger in the rest of the fight. What a shame.

Comment

Hatton vs senchenko
        Tyson vs Williams
        Haye vs Klitschko

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
          Was thinking about this the other day.

Michael Spinks had a lot of great wins and then he met Tyson and people forgot about how good he was.

Alexis Arguello was immensely talented and tough but his career was tarnished by Aaron Pryor.

Michael Nunn was a fantastic fighter but caught by James Toney.

What other examples can you think of that tarnished otherwise great careers and influenced people's opinions of a fighter.

Oops should've went into the history section.
          IMO, Pryor's own career is the one that is tarnished from the Arguello fights, due to his obvious, and overt cheating... "No - give me the one that I mixed"! Lol - then he gets a burst of energy and stops him... Yeah...

Panama Lewis is the shadiest, most scummiest trainer in the history of boxing...

Pryor cheated against Arguello.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            Apollo Creed vs young Ivan Drago. Actually anyone who got beaten by Balboa including Tommy Gunn on the streets.

Already mentioned but RJJ against milk dud and then Johnson KO losses back to back, but the rubber match against Tarver may have been the most important because it was the chance for Roy to overcome that by winning the trilogy. Instead he showed some flash in 1 round and then couldn't pull the trigger in the rest of the fight. What a shame.

Comment

Fenech v Nelson

Jeff Fenech was a World Champion in 3 weight divisions.The Kovalev /Ward fight reminded me of the fight in 91,when Fenech was going for 4 divisions against Azuhma Nelson.Awesome fight,12 rounds and decision to Nelson.Many had Fenech winning and what I saw he was.
              If you've never seen the fight,worth watching,especially Fenech reaction at the end.
              Still remember the reaction in the pub that I watched that fight in.

Comment

Working...
              X