Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Someone Explain To me How is Martinez close to Pac on a P4P basis???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
    he doesn't. When you only have 3 wins in your last 5 fights, I really don't see how that merit's p4p #1 status.

Yes he has a nice 3 fight win streak, but that's not enough to propel him to the top, especially when he will be fighting Peter Manfredo or Chavez Jr. next.
    Who cares what it says on paper? Boxing fans should base their opinions on you know... the actual fights. It's universally recognized Martinez should have won against Cintron at least twice in that fight (either a KO or a decision). And keep in mind, Cintron until recently was the #1 Jr middleweight fighter of the world so it's a good win. And the first Paul Williams fight was in many people's eyes the fight of the year and it could have gone either way. Saying "you only have 3 wins in your last 5 fights" and ignoring the details is silly.

Also, Paul Williams was seen as the #3-4 p4p fighter of the world when Martinez beat him. Of course Martinez should be allowed to take his place. If someone convincingly beats Pacquiao, do you think that person wouldn't deserve Pacquiao's #1 spot?
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 05-08-2011, 03:51 PM.

Comment

because martinez is beating live opponents and was also the underdog in the majority of those fights.after watching mosley make pacuiao miss for most of the fight i'm pretty sure that sergio would knock paquiao the **** out

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
        When people do rankings they consider the nature of the win/loss. You're not looking at his last 5 fights with unbias eyes.

He was robbed of a KO victory against Cintron because the guy started to cry. His fight against Paul Williams was close, and he dominated him in the rematch.
        I'm sorry man, If he is the fighter most claim he is then he would have put Cintron away...period.

And please quit the crap of him being robbed of a KO victory. Cintron was talking to the ref the whole time and his knee was off the ground around the time the ref got to the 8-9 count.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
          because martinez is beating live opponents and was also the underdog in the majority of those fights.after watching mosley make pacuiao miss for most of the fight i'm pretty sure that sergio would knock paquiao the **** out
          Really Martinez was the underdog against cintron and Dzinziruk???? LMAO

Comment

because he is flavor of the month

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Who cares what it says on paper? Boxing fans should base their opinions on you know... the actual fights. It's universally recognized Martinez should have won against Cintron at least twice in that fight (either a KO or a decision). And keep in mind, Cintron until recently was the #1 Jr middleweight fighter of the world so it's a good win. And the first Paul Williams fight was in many people's eyes the fight of the year and it could have gone either way. Saying "you only have 3 wins in your last 5 fights" and ignoring the details is silly.

Also, Paul Williams was seen as the #3-4 p4p fighter of the world when Martinez beat him. Of course Martinez should be allowed to take his place. If someone convincingly beats Pacquiao, do you think that person wouldn't deserve Pacquiao's #1 spot?
              Yeah, because Cotto, Clottey nor Hatton where live opponets and Margarito didnt outweight Pac by 17 pounds!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by El C@cique@PR View Post
                Yeah, because Cotto, Clottey nor Hatton where live opponets and Margarito didnt outweight Pac by 17 pounds!!!!!
                What does your post have anything to do with what I said?

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
                  I'm sorry man, If he is the fighter most claim he is then he would have put Cintron away...period.

And please quit the crap of him being robbed of a KO victory. Cintron was talking to the ref the whole time and his knee was off the ground around the time the ref got to the 8-9 count.
                  He did put Cintron away, it's not his fault the ref back tracks on a 10 count and he was robbed of a knock out, this point is not even worth arguing, 10 came out the refs mouth, yet the ref changed his mind because he thought the punch was a headbutt.

Should be noted that there was a 3 minute break after the knockdown which would essentially halt his flow.

Comment

Pacquiao's Resume is greater than Martinez', but for most people P4P reflects a "What have you done for me lately?" approach.

Last five fights - Pacquiao:

Vs Shane Mosely - UD 12 against a fighter coming off a Draw and a one sided loss

Vs Margarito - UD 12 against a fighter one win removed from a KO loss. He was giving up 15lbs or so. That was impressive.

Vs Clottey - UD 12 fighter coming off a loss to the fighter Manny just beat, basically a step down in competition.

Vs Cotto - TKO victory against another fighter one fight removed from a KO loss, and at a demanded catchweight.

Vs Hatton - KO in two rounds. This was his last #1 P4P worthy performance.

Last five Fights - Sergio Martinez

Vs Dzinziruk - TKO - 5 KDs on route to a TKO victory against an UNDEFEATED legitimate champ at a weight division 5lbs south (they both weighed in at less than 159).

Vs Williams - KO in two rounds of a p4p ranked fighter who before fighting Martinez as never been knocked down. Devastating one Punch KO.

Vs. Pavlik - UD 12 against the Ring champ whos only loss was to a Larger Hopkins. Also giving up 15lbs or so.

Vs. Williams - Loss - competitive loss many thought was a victory or at least a draw. Moving up for the First time at 160lbs

Vs. Cintron - KO, UD, DQ - **** what was going on that night.

Resume - Pac > Martinez
                    last 5 - Martinez > Pac
                    Last edited by RA-Box; 05-08-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

this is a joke thread...right?

I agree that theres is a huge gap between the p4p king and the actual number two guy.

but Martinez is FOTY 2010 for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X