Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Golovkin Were Younger, Could He Beat Canelo in Sept?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
    Is it styles or is it taking care of your body. The one thing people cannot dispute is Mayweather pretty much stays in the gym. You can't tell me Bernard Hopkins lasted as long as he did because he was a defense first fighter. The reason no one said Mayweather was too old or Bernard for that matter was no one was making or would buy that excuse. However, for some reason people are already making that excuse for Golovkin.

As far as Canelo not being ready, who has he fought since to prepare him for this fight or a potential rematch with Mayweather? Is it Angulo, Kirkland, Smith, Khan, or Chavez Jr? Cotto was already old (as you said) and Lara refused to engage so please don't say those two.
    Actually, the difference is that Mayweather and Hopkins didn't eat a lot of shots. Golovkin has been getting hit a lot more. That makes you old.

But I don't think GGG is too old to beat Canelo. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
      Actually, the difference is that Mayweather and Hopkins didn't eat a lot of shots. Golovkin has been getting hit a lot more. That makes you old.
      When you claim you get hit on purpose to put on "big drama show" you can't use that as an excuse for being old.

Comment

When you claim you get hit on purpose to put on "big drama show" you can't use that as an excuse for being old.
        Who said anything about excuses? Old is old. Taking shots to the head gets you there quicker. What difference does it make whether you're getting hit on purpose?

Most people think Golovkin doesn't look as sharp, ferocious or resilient as he did a couple years ago. Some say it's because of "better competition", but by age 35 most great fighters are well past their prime. Many are terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
          Who said anything about excuses? Old is old. Taking shots to the head gets you there quicker. What difference does it make whether you're getting hit on purpose?

Most people think Golovkin doesn't look as sharp, ferocious or resilient as he did a couple years ago. Some say it's because of "better competition", but by age 35 most great fighters are well past their prime. Many are terrible.
          I didn't say you did, but that's been said by quite a few people on here. My point was if you're a boxer and you want a long career you can't make statements about taking shots on purpose. Especially, as you said, the accumulation of shots will potentially age you faster. If you're a fan of the boxer that says something like that you can't claim he's now old because of his style. Not when he's going to the one fight that he could lose potentially.

Comment

i picked canelo to beat 3g but to say 3g doesnt stand a chance is silly. they both stand a punchers chance. any cu/nt for any side that makes excuses for their guy losing should be banned from NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
              any cu/nt for any side that makes excuses for their guy losing should be banned from NSB.
              That wouldn't work because many are from the PAC bandwagon that thought Floyd cheated with Pac or that slow motion or running proved that Floyd lost..

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post
                That wouldn't work because many are from the PAC bandwagon that thought Floyd cheated with Pac or that slow motion or running proved that Floyd lost..
                THAT TOO...

anyone crying about shlt that happened 2 years or more ago needs to be booted from NSB.

Comment

Is it styles or is it taking care of your body. The one thing people cannot dispute is Mayweather pretty much stays in the gym. You can't tell me Bernard Hopkins lasted as long as he did because he was a defense first fighter. The reason no one said Mayweather was too old or Bernard for that matter was no one was making or would buy that excuse. However, for some reason people are already making that excuse for Golovkin.

As far as Canelo not being ready, who has he fought since to prepare him for this fight or a potential rematch with Mayweather? Is it Angulo, Kirkland, Smith, Khan, or Chavez Jr? Cotto was already old (as you said) and Lara refused to engage so please don't say those two.
                  It is both styles, taking care of your body, but nobody and nothing beats father time. 35 is old for a fighter, no matter who you are. RJJ, Hopkins, Foreman, Floyd, none of those guys were in their prime at 35 - even though they were successful later on in their carer.

I never said Floyd or Bernard or Golovkin are too old. I said they're old. All 3 of these guys should (GGG) or have aged relatively well into their late 30s. None of them relied too much on pure speed and reflexes. Perfect example of this was seen alst weekend with Yuri Gamboa. In his prime, Gamboa's reflexes were out of this world and he was a successful fighter. Now that he is 35 and doesn't have them anymore and is just left with mediocre technique, he quit against a journeyman-level fighter.

There is a difference between making excuses and stating facts. Golovkin IS 35 while Canelo is in his prime. There is almost 10 year difference between them. When Tyson Fury and AJ beat Wlad Klitchko, they didn't get a spot on P4P because Wlad WAS 40 and more than 10 years older than them. It's not an excuse. It's a fact.

As who has Canelo fought - you have a great point. Canelo's recent in ring opposition have been mediocre. There is nothing like real fight experience (as AJ learned recently), but in grand scheme of things, it is a tiny part of improvement. Comparing Canelo from 4 years ago to today is absolutely silly. His body was not physically mature. His offensive skillset was nonexistant, he was so clumsy back then. Compare his showing against Lara vs. his performance against Khan. It took him 2 rounds to get acclimated to Khan's potshotting before he started catching his body and blocking virtually everything Khan threw. His chin was not there - he got rocked by older Cotto . Look at the size of his neck 4 years ago vs. today. Even check his weight and frame.

Personally, I think Canelo's latest opposition is a stroke of genius by Golden Boy. They have continued to build up his status while minimizing the damage he takes, while still working religiously on his skillset. He is just now starting to enter his prime.
                  I'm a big fan of Golovkin, so all the delays and waiting have been incredibly frustrating, because 'my' guy is not getting any younger. But I can't deny that this has been a wise strategy for Canelo. The only way it can backfire on Canelo is if Golovkin realllllllly has been trying to hide his skill over the last 3-4 fights, and overwhelms Canelo. In that case, lack of big fight experience and not ever being in trouble may hurt Canelo. Good example is Joshua. Even though he prevailed, his confidence was seriously rocked when he went down. For him, THAT was an amazing experience that he was able to learn from. But it could have very easily cost him that fight.

Anyway, good discussion. Green K to you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                    It is both styles, taking care of your body, but nobody and nothing beats father time. 35 is old for a fighter, no matter who you are. RJJ, Hopkins, Foreman, Floyd, none of those guys were in their prime at 35 - even though they were successful later on in their carer.

I never said Floyd or Bernard or Golovkin are too old. I said they're old. All 3 of these guys should (GGG) or have aged relatively well into their late 30s. None of them relied too much on pure speed and reflexes. Perfect example of this was seen alst weekend with Yuri Gamboa. In his prime, Gamboa's reflexes were out of this world and he was a successful fighter. Now that he is 35 and doesn't have them anymore and is just left with mediocre technique, he quit against a journeyman-level fighter.

There is a difference between making excuses and stating facts. Golovkin IS 35 while Canelo is in his prime. There is almost 10 year difference between them. When Tyson Fury and AJ beat Wlad Klitchko, they didn't get a spot on P4P because Wlad WAS 40 and more than 10 years older than them. It's not an excuse. It's a fact.

As who has Canelo fought - you have a great point. Canelo's recent in ring opposition have been mediocre. There is nothing like real fight experience (as AJ learned recently), but in grand scheme of things, it is a tiny part of improvement. Comparing Canelo from 4 years ago to today is absolutely silly. His body was not physically mature. His offensive skillset was nonexistant, he was so clumsy back then. Compare his showing against Lara vs. his performance against Khan. It took him 2 rounds to get acclimated to Khan's potshotting before he started catching his body and blocking virtually everything Khan threw. His chin was not there - he got rocked by older Cotto . Look at the size of his neck 4 years ago vs. today. Even check his weight and frame.

Personally, I think Canelo's latest opposition is a stroke of genius by Golden Boy. They have continued to build up his status while minimizing the damage he takes, while still working religiously on his skillset. He is just now starting to enter his prime.
                    I'm a big fan of Golovkin, so all the delays and waiting have been incredibly frustrating, because 'my' guy is not getting any younger. But I can't deny that this has been a wise strategy for Canelo. The only way it can backfire on Canelo is if Golovkin realllllllly has been trying to hide his skill over the last 3-4 fights, and overwhelms Canelo. In that case, lack of big fight experience and not ever being in trouble may hurt Canelo. Good example is Joshua. Even though he prevailed, his confidence was seriously rocked when he went down. For him, THAT was an amazing experience that he was able to learn from. But it could have very easily cost him that fight.

Anyway, good discussion. Green K to you sir.
                    Right back at you. Good discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                      If ggg was 2-3 younger he would literally kill canelo the fact he is 35 is what makes this a far more interesting fight. A least canelo has a real shot at beating him now. I still think ggg knocks him out late but it won't be easy
                      Stop with the excuses, it's the same GGG. He hasn't lost anything and he will beat Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                      X