Interview with Bob Mirovic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part TWO

Bob Mirovic - Part TWO
    ME : OK Bob, let’s go back to your first ever fight, against Sam…..
    BOB ; Kurukitoga… yeah.
    ME ; He didn’t last long.
    BOB ; Yeah I knocked him out with my first solid punch, I had landed some blows but they were light and just feeling him out, just glancing shots.
    ME where did you hit him ?
    BOB ; just near the eye I think.
    ME ; You were born in Croatia, Boxrec says it was in Dubrovnik.
    BOB ; no it was in a place called Spisic Bukovica. Yeah but a lot of times I see I was born in Dubrovnik apparently.
    ME ; You also fought Joe Bugner, “Aussie Joe” and Justin Fortune and Kali Meehan, Shane Cameron, Frans Botha.
    BOB ; Yep. Kali Meehan, fast, very strong, good fighter and tough. Joe Bugner, we were going to fight a rematch, it was all signed ready to go, but then they said no so Joe and me didn’t happen, it would have been a big fight for me so I fought Kali and at the time I was having a bad emotional time with some family issues and I was finding life pretty hard trying to deal with all the pressures. So we had the Kali fight and I thought the fight may help me to sort some things out and help me to focus,… didn’t work. Actually it all worked in reverse you know, funnily enough like the first three or four rounds I was boxing Kali’s ears off, he couldn’t land a punch on me. His nose was bleeding, he was cut and he was a mess, and ahh, I got tired in the fourth round because I couldn’t focus and then I tried to take a little rest and with Kali, that’s a BIG mistake. He then saw this and unleashed some big shots and he caught me.
    ME ; I suppose you don’t really regret not going over there to fight under Don King
    BOB ; Oh, no, no way I never had no intention of doing that.
    ME ; Who were your heroes or biggest influences that got you wanting to become a fighter ?
    BOB ; Oh when I was a kid down in a little place called Merulan, our school was just down the road from our house so I came home this day for lunch and my dad was on nightshift when I came home and he is sitting there by himself in front of the tv and Ali was fighting Leon Spinks. It was the first time I had ever seen boxing and I thought,… what is this ?, and I was in awe of it you know !!!... I loved it, these two guys fighting. I already played sports, footy, cricket, every sport you could think of and I got into martial arts at 13 years of age and I really enjoyed martial arts. So anyway when I was 20 I was at my mate’s place watching Mike Tyson fight Trevor Berbick and even before the fight started, there was about ten of my mates sitting there waiting and I told them that one day I would become the Australian heavyweight champion and they laughed at me saying, “you don’t even box, how can you say that ? what are you drunk or something ?”, I said nahh you wait and see guys, wait and see, I had my first fight three months later and we went from there. I won that first fight and my trainer said right there, “one day you will become Australian champion”, and I believed it, had no doubt it would happen.
    ME ; And you did it,… three times.
    BOB ; Yeah I did it.
    ME ; It’s been a very prestigious title, some very great names there, I mean, Sam Langford mate they don’t come much bigger than that, Sam McVey, Les Darcy, Dave Smith, Ambrose Palmer and Dave Sands, mate you are in some great company there, very impressive
    ME ; What was your proudest moment ? Your first title ?
    BOB ; Yeah definitely the first Australian title, I get ribbed a lot from mates about the photo I had with Mike Tyson plastered all over the internet but hell, why not, I always tell them that if it was you, you would have done the same thing too, ha.
    ME ; If we go back past the time of Ali, do you have any favourites among the old timers ?
    BOB ; Pep was amazing he wins like his first 60 odd fights, moves up a weight, loses and then goes undefeated for more than 70 fights, wow !! incredible.
    ME ; Yep he was really something to behold, I think he is the best pure boxer I have ever seen period, great great fighter, great lateral movement.
    BOB ; Yeah I think so, just an incredible boxer. Well I think it’s time for the class mate.
    ME ; yeah Bob that wraps it up nicely all there is left to do is a couple of photos mate, thank you very much for your time BOB, appreciate it very much.
    BOB ; yeah it was a pleasure.
    Last edited by McGoorty; 03-01-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

bumpity bump...thanks for part 2 Mg!

Comment

Somehow I knew this was going to lead back to Les Darcy in some way, shape, or form.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Somehow I knew this was going to lead back to Les Darcy in some way, shape, or form.
          Well if you call him being named ONCE as a famous holder of the belt Bob held 3 times as being "about Darcy" then that's up to you, you see in Aussie boxing circles he is our Sugar Ray Robinson, Harry Greb and Roberto Duran all rolled up in one.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            I have no contacts with Lucas Browne and there are plenty of professional sportswriters on that bandwagon atm.
            Browne dug deep, came back from a knockdown, and scored a stoppage victory over Ruslan Chagaev yesterday to became the WBA "regular" heavyweight champion of the world.

His manager said: "That win tonight is up there with every single greatest win ever by an Australian (boxer)."

Would you agree with him?

Comment

Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 03-06-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Browne dug deep, came back from a knockdown, and scored a stoppage victory over Ruslan Chagaev yesterday to became the WBA "regular" heavyweight champion of the world.

His manager said: "That win tonight is up there with every single greatest win ever by an Australian (boxer)."

Would you agree with him?
                Yes I do, as an achievement I sure do, I would not rate Browne in my top dozen fighters from this country but no Australian ever won the heavyweight title before... of course Les Darcy may have done it if he had lived even if he was a middleweight he was very capable of beating the living hell out of heavyweights. Yes this win is probably the greatest single win by an Aussie ever, greater than the two wins against a prime eddie McGoorty by Les Darcy and the Harding win over Andries... Darcy in retrospect was always going to clean up McGoorty but at the time McGoorty was a huge favourite. Lets see what else, Rose over Harada yeah not bad.... Carruthers over Toweel was exceptional but Browne being such an underdog and so inexperienced I have to rate this right up there.

Comment

Yes I do, as an achievement I sure do, I would not rate Browne in my top dozen fighters from this country but no Australian ever won the heavyweight title before... of course Les Darcy may have done it if he had lived even if he was a middleweight he was very capable of beating the living hell out of heavyweights. Yes this win is probably the greatest single win by an Aussie ever, greater than the two wins against a prime eddie McGoorty by Les Darcy and the Harding win over Andries... Darcy in retrospect was always going to clean up McGoorty but at the time McGoorty was a huge favourite. Lets see what else, Rose over Harada yeah not bad.... Carruthers over Toweel was exceptional but Browne being such an underdog and so inexperienced I have to rate this right up there.
                  C'mon McGoorty, afford Rose the respect he deserves.

I doubt you would rate Browne's victory as highly if it had been done at bantamweight or thereabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemus View Post
                    C'mon McGoorty, afford Rose the respect he deserves.

I doubt you would rate Browne's victory as highly if it had been done at bantamweight or thereabouts.
                    Well my words were respect, Lionel was a better fighter than Harada, he was an underdog but that was the fault of the Japanese for not paying attention, I think Browne was far more inexperienced and if we compare the two Lionel is light years ahead in the skills department... we are talking upsets here, maybe you tipped Browne to win though... anyway thanks for recognising Rose's great talent.

Comment

It looks like Lucas Browne might have used performance enhancing drugs. Dean_Razorback posted this over in NSB:

Comment

Working...
                      X