No announcement yet.

Felix Trinidad and what could have been

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Trinidad and what could have been

I know it sounds weird to say this about a former undefeated welterweight champion and middleweight beltholder, but I think that Tito had a lot of untapped potential. What could he have been if he had had a trainer who was willing to tell him what needed to be said? After the De La Hoya fight, Stevie Wonder could have told you that he needed to improve his tactical skills. But time after time, he got thoroughly outboxed. One consistent theme throughout these embarrassing episodes is his father coddling him. "You're doing ok, he's almost where you want him, he can't take your power." That's it. That's all he ever says. Even when it's obvious that Tito couldn't hurt his opponent with a .38, as was the case with Hopkins.

So what could Trinidad have been molded into if he had a competent trainer/cornerman (because his father failed so noticeably at both)? Could he have perhaps beaten Hopkins? I doubt it, but I still think that there was at least a noticeable gap in what Trinidad was and what he could have been.

If anybody maximized their talent it was Trinidad. He could of had god training him he was going to get destroyed by Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      If anybody maximized their talent it was Trinidad. He could of had god training him he was going to get destroyed by Hopkins.
      Can you say the same about Oscar and Winky, though? In my opinion, there's a big fall off from Bernard Hopkins in his freaky late-30's prime to de la Hoya and Wright. I don't think he maximized his talent at all. God gave Tito Trinidad power out the ass and pretty decent hand speed. He trained up a good left hook and sharpshooting accuracy - when in exchanges. But as far as tactical boxing skills, he had next to none. He had no idea which way to move against Wright, even with the constant, thudding reminder of Winky's jab every time he even thought about taking a step right. He followed his opponent around and tried to start a firefight. He was essentially a very refined streetfighter.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        Can you say the same about Oscar and Winky, though? In my opinion, there's a big fall off from Bernard Hopkins in his freaky late-30's prime to de la Hoya and Wright. I don't think he maximized his talent at all. God gave Tito Trinidad power out the ass and pretty decent hand speed. He trained up a good left hook and sharpshooting accuracy - when in exchanges. But as far as tactical boxing skills, he had next to none. He had no idea which way to move against Wright, even with the constant, thudding reminder of Winky's jab every time he even thought about taking a step right. He followed his opponent around and tried to start a firefight. He was essentially a very refined streetfighter.
        Trinidad beat DLH and was past his prime against Winky and he has lost alot of power when he went up to middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Trinidad beat DLH and was past his prime against Winky and he has lost alot of power when he went up to middleweight.
          He beat De La Hoya. Right. I forgot about that

Comment

I don't think Trinidad could have been much more.

He pretty much cleaned out WW and won a title at 154. Regardless to who his trainer was he still wouldn't have been too succesful at MW.

Trinidad's key was his devastating power, he relied on it, 'having his opponent where he wanted him' was the best way and easiest way for him to win. I don't think he would have done anything more than he did (except maybe beat Oscar ALOT more convincingly) than he did.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I don't think Trinidad could have been much more.

He pretty much cleaned out WW and won a title at 154. Regardless to who his trainer was he still wouldn't have been too succesful at MW.

Trinidad's key was his devastating power, he relied on it, 'having his opponent where he wanted him' was the best way and easiest way for him to win. I don't think he would have done anything more than he did (except maybe beat Oscar ALOT more convincingly) than he did.
              Yes, Tito was easily a better fighter than Oscar. It's just that the DeLaHOYTARDS hate him for beating their little sweetheart, I say get over it Hoytards, I only wish Tito fought him again and Knocked out "Golden Boy", then they'd claim a dive or somethin'.

Comment

Working...
              X