No announcement yet.

Team Smith ducking the BJS fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
    50/50 deal seemed fair. Gallagher said that Smith is the A-side, but really it's not like he is a big star himself. Disappointing, maybe they are setting up a fight with Jacobs later this year or possibly early 2020?
    I really hope it’s Jacobs because at least it represents top class opposition, Lemieux is a name but just wouldn’t be a threat at 168 and has already been completely exposed by BJS. I think his next fight could be in the UK though tbh.

They keep talking about this “Anfield fight” but I honestly don’t think it’s realistic, I’ve been to nearly every one of Callum’s fights in Liverpool and he’s not a massive ticket seller by any means, he’s gained more notoriety since then but I don’t think he could get anywhere near the amount of ticket sales needed for Anfield unless they get a major name as an opponent which seems highly unlikely. Bellew is a much bigger draw around here and they probably only got around 15k for his fight at Goodison, and they were literally giving tickets away that day.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      He should go after Eubank. Winnable fight, and if they make the fight it will likely be for the lineal title as TBRB has them #1 and #3, but Zurdo Ramirez is #2 and he's moved up. Plus Eubank has a minor belt if Smith wants that.

Then Smith would hold the WBA (Super), WBC Diamond, IBO, Ring, and lineal super middleweight titles.
      100% agree. It’s the biggest payday out there for him, cause we all know a Canelo fight looks highly unlikely.

He’d beat Eubank comfortably and it would do solid numbers as the Eubank name continues to sell over here.

Eubank is probably facing John Ryder next, so if Matchroom are willing to let Ryder fight on ITV, why not let Smith?

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
        Might it be a case of Smith's team wanting to stay in the running for the Canelo Golden Ticket?
        That’s what it is. Hearn pretty much said it in an interview today that he wants Smith to get the Canelo fight.

He said BJS is a tough fight for Smith and thinks BJS is tough for anybody, so he wants that reflected in the money for the fight and doesn’t feel the money is there.

Hearn said he would go back with an offer to Saunders team, but basically ruled it out being in the next 2 or 3 fights, so basically he is offering nothing.

They’re not stupid, Smith is good but there’s a possibility that BJS boxes his ears off and Hearn’s side loses those belts to a Warren fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          100% agree. It’s the biggest payday out there for him, cause we all know a Canelo fight looks highly unlikely.

He’d beat Eubank comfortably and it would do solid numbers as the Eubank name continues to sell over here.

Eubank is probably facing John Ryder next, so if Matchroom are willing to let Ryder fight on ITV, why not let Smith?
          Because they still think Smith lands a big fight with GGG or Canelo or something down the line, so they’re trying to steer that, whether it will or won’t happen is another matter.

It’s not like Matchroom have any big plans for John Ryder, he’s an undercard filler for them that is pretty decent and wouldn’t think twice about feeding him to anyone for money or to build another fighter of theirs.

Comment

A good friend of mine went to school with some of the Smith brothers, he told me around a week ago that Callum 100% wanted to take the Saunders fight but his management was standing in the way of it happening and they were trying to resolve it. It’s now clear to me that his management have blocked this fight from happening.

It’s terrible! Smith could potentially be the best fighter this city has ever produced but he’s wasting his prime years fighting blown up Middleweights on undercards.
            Thanks, I figured from your phrasing you had some kind of insider info or connection to Callum/Smiths. Yeah, pretty much any expression of disappointment I can drum up here just feels like a big understatement, so why bother, haha. I definitely agreed with Saunders when he said in multiple recent interviews that Smith (paraphrasing) didn't strike him as a ducker and would almost definitely be open to the fight. It rang true from what I'd gleaned of Callum and this solidifies that. Ugh. I fully understand the rationale at Smith and co. (the C word) but...le sigh. This goddamn sport, sometimes...
            Last edited by Sweet Scions; 07-16-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              What was the excuse?
              Eddie was Rambling about the offer Frank made and how BJS should be a bigger STAR and the fight is not as big as it could be yet but he did praise BJS repeatedly but all that basically to say it is not a big fight yet. Starts at 22:12

to his credit he did say fans don't want to hear that and he is right but I guess from a Business standpoint he is right but as fans we don't give a f#ck about his business side of things

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Scions View Post
                Thanks, I figured from your phrasing you had some kind of insider info or connection to Callum/Smiths. Yeah, pretty much any expression of disappointment I can drum up here just feels like a big understatement, so why bother, haha. I definitely agreed with Saunders when he said in multiple recent interviews that Smith (paraphrasing) didn't strike him as a ducker and would almost definitely be open to the fight. It rang true from what I'd gleaned of Callum and this solidifies that. Ugh. I fully understand the rationale at Smith and co. (the C word) but...le sigh. This goddamn sport, sometimes...
                Yeah fighters fight, most fighters will literally fight anyone. Boxing politics are always frustrating, what annoys me even more about this situation is that there’s isn’t even a reasonable alternative, I mean who’s he gonna fight next? If Smith ends up facing Canelo or GGG next I’ll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong and that Team Smith were right to avoid the Saunders fight but I just can’t see him getting a bigger fight. It’s an extremely winnable fight for Smith as well, there’s no reason for it not to happen! And it’s a great fight for the fans!!!
                Once again we have a fighters manager/promoter prioritising their own needs over their fighters needs. I hate boxing sometimes haha...

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                  Because they still think Smith lands a big fight with GGG or Canelo or something down the line, so they’re trying to steer that, whether it will or won’t happen is another matter.

It’s not like Matchroom have any big plans for John Ryder, he’s an undercard filler for them that is pretty decent and wouldn’t think twice about feeding him to anyone for money or to build another fighter of theirs.
                  That’s no excuse though, if he’s not going to fight Canelo or GGG next, which he likely isn’t. Why not face Saunders next in a winnable fight? It’s the best fight on the table for Smith both financially and in terms of career trajectory.

As I said to another poster, if he fights Canelo or GGG next then fair play I was completely wrong but if he ends up facing Chudinov or Feigenbutz at the Echo Arena, or another blown up Middleweight on a US undercard his team need to be held accountable.

Comment

That’s no excuse though, if he’s not going to fight Canelo or GGG next, which he likely isn’t. Why not face Saunders next in a winnable fight? It’s the best fight on the table for Smith both financially and in terms of career trajectory.

As I said to another poster, if he fights Canelo or GGG next then fair play I was completely wrong but if he ends up facing Chudinov or Feigenbutz at the Echo Arena, or another blown up Middleweight on a US undercard his team need to be held accountable.
                    Because i don’t think his team are fully confident he beats Saunders. Smith is good but Saunders isn’t Groves coming off shoulder injury. He hasn’t fought anyone with the skill level of Saunders.

I’m sure they believe it is winnable but Hearn said himself today that he thinks it’s a very tough fight for Smith. So the money he was offered isn’t worth the risk.

I think it’s a good fight and would love to see it, but his team are not stupid, they know BJS is just a difficult fight for anybody if he’s on his game. There’s no way they let Smith fight him on another promoters show unless it’s for big money that they can’t refuse, which it doesn’t seem to be.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                      Because i don’t think his team are fully confident he beats Saunders. Smith is good but Saunders isn’t Groves coming off shoulder injury. He hasn’t fought anyone with the skill level of Saunders.

I’m sure they believe it is winnable but Hearn said himself today that he thinks it’s a very tough fight for Smith. So the money he was offered isn’t worth the risk.

I think it’s a good fight and would love to see it, but his team are not stupid, they know BJS is just a difficult fight for anybody if he’s on his game. There’s no way they let Smith fight him on another promoters show unless it’s for big money that they can’t refuse, which it doesn’t seem to be.
                      It’s for better money than any of his other options though and on top of that the fighter wants the fight. Smith has been completely mismanaged for years now. He was left treading water for well over a year, then he goes and wins the WBSS off his own back and Matchroom and his management are continually failing to capitalise on that momentum. Smith has so much potential and it really p*sses me off to see it being wasted by greedy, egotistical people who are prioritising their own needs over their fighters needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X