Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Angelo Dundee have against weight training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    well I can only follow what the non existant corso has said.....hype job has posted here and SEEN me.. no one has seen anyone here..b/c you guys are like phantoms...highlite that one.....
    Why do you always put... after every sentence. It isn't leading into anything exciting. All it does is (combined with your profile picture) make us think you are a fat neckbeard who breaths heavily after every sentence. Also, you remind me of the kids at lunch in high school who play yu gi oh at lunch. If you can provide any names for your uncle, dad, and wlads sparring partner who you say have all of these impressive feats then I will retract any statement I have said and give you the credit you deserve.

Comment

• ........................"well I can only follow what the non existant corso has said"

hey jackazz Corso is my REAL NAME, is your jugernutz?
      If you want to visit I'm easy to find especially when I'll give you my address!

So besides your Uncle, daddy's and spar partners names....whats yours?

It can't be jugernutz? or sonny? or jackazz all though all of us here know you as jackazz.

Don't you get tired of being referred to as a child or adolesences or azzhole?

Everyday theres members here who are sick of you and want you to go away
      It doesn't bother you that member think of you as a fool?
      You really need some professional help all kidding aside, your not well son.

Ray.

Comment

• Actually I want to give juggernuts a compliment, thats right.... And I really do believe this! Juggernuts is not as stupid as Elroy. I would bet 100 bucks on it. Assuming they are not manifestations of the same idiot...and even then, as alts go juggernuts is smarter than Elroy.

Comment

• Dundee didn't have much against it, because most guys in his time looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brSqr9XJNQc

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Actually I want to give juggernuts a compliment, thats right.... And I really do believe this! Juggernuts is not as stupid as Elroy. I would bet 100 bucks on it. Assuming they are not manifestations of the same idiot...and even then, as alts go juggernuts is smarter than Elroy.
            Well I must compliment you back as being the smartest dummy on here..though I don't feel you are coa cpmplete one like the other jokers,who want proof this and that,yet offer none themselves..as stated I have ppl on here who have seen me actually work at least a Heavybag you clowns have no soursce but big mouth corso and his smoke and mirrors leading the charge.....

Comment

Well I must compliment you back as being the smartest dummy on here..though I don't feel you are coa cpmplete one like the other jokers,who want proof this and that,yet offer none themselves..as stated I have ppl on here who have seen me actually work at least a Heavybag you clowns have no soursce but big mouth corso and his smoke and mirrors leading the charge.....
              I don't see why you can't show us proof. None of your so called "People" have vouched for you, if you post 1 video of you working on the heavy bag or does some form of boxing and say your username in the video then I will withdraw anything I have said doubting you. Until then, whatever you say is irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                I noticed he was one of the few trainers who was vehemently opposed to the concept.. Should boxers use weights or not?
                Of course boxers should incorporate progressive resistance training; all athletes can benefit from becoming stronger and improving their endurance--boxers particularly so.

As to why Dundee was opposed to weight training I do not know, but it is a safe assumption that--having had little or no experience with strength training himself--he was regurgitating "old wives tales" popular at the time which Nautilus and MedX inventor Arthur Jones speculates may have originated with extremely overweight circus strongmen and weight lifters of the 19th century:

"Extremely heavy [lifters] are not an exception – instead, they are another matter altogether; a very great part of the actual bulk of many of these men is not muscular bulk, it is fatty tissue – which can and will restrict
                freedom of movement. Such men have – indeed, must have – great muscular bulk, but most of them also have an equal bulk of fatty tissue, both subcutaneous and intramuscular.
                Near the end of the last century, in the infancy of modern weightlifting, most lifters were extremely heavy men – many of them weighing over 400 pounds – and almost all of them had enormous waist and upper-thigh measurements; a man of that weight will display obviously restricted movement – unless he is nearly eight feet tall – and he would do so regardless of just what that bulk consisted of, but it is totally impossible to create such bulk in the same areas so long as a reasonable degree of muscularity is maintained.

At or about that same time – around 1890 – the term "muscle bound" was probably originated; but it should have been called "fat bound", since such a condition of restricted movement has absolutely nothing to do with muscle."

From an Ironman (magazine) article by Jones entitled "A Pistol Barrel or a Pillow"
                Last edited by GelfSara; 10-22-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• Not just dundeee. Many trainers and fighters avoided weights. Many still do.

That's not to say there were zero weights used or that there wasn't substitutes like tyres and cutting wood and so on.

Lots of fighters that use weights too much these days end up with bad stamina. The examples are countless.

Comment

Sports science wasn't around then,just look at the footage of what most heavyweights looked like then. take a look at Ernie Terrell than Lennox Lewis...its not even comparable..very scrawny,and almost look like they fasted..very few fighters were genetically gifted......take Frazier and tyson two similar body type guys and how vastly Tyson was the more explosive /dangerous fighter ,Tyson wasn't much into weights but did squats and plyometrics..Dundee like many things then are simply out dated,....just look up weights and sports in general...there is no disadvantage to any one who trains smart with weight training,that suits the sport.Foreman himself credits being stronger in his come back to weight lifting.Holyfield was a prime example of a weight trained boxer.....and the most athletic one arguably in the HW history.The bigger and stronger you are the more you should be able to perform at a higher level,this is up to the individual...this does not mean you are invincible,so lets make that clear....I really don't think anyone who doesn't weight train has much to say on this,my personal experience as weight lifting almost 3 decades I can tell you how useful in any combat sport,or any one on one competition is.One who simply never stepped foot in a gym,is only doing guess work...........I will also add no one would be doing PEDS if performance overall wasn't important.

Comment

• Can someone tell me whether or not the Klit brothers lifted weights because they sure look like they did.

Comment

Working...
                      X