Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 and External Hard drive issues.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Windows 7 and External Hard drive issues.

So I feel like watching some fights on my big flatscreen, usually I'll connect my laptop with Windows 7, and I access my external hard drive through my network that's connected to my desktop (Windows XP), but lately only my boxing fights folder crashes giving me the "Windows Explorer Is Not Responding", and then it does this "reboot" thing, flashes my desktop and just crashes the window, not going through the whole restart.

I've tried anything I could find but nothings worked so far, it's weird because it doesn't crash my desktop when I have the folder open. Usually when it crashes on my laptop, its as soon as I access my boxing fights folder. Thanks.

Pound your external hard drive with a baseball bat a couple times.

Works like a charm.

Comment

When restarting your pc/laptop, always disconnect the external hard drive. Because during the rebooting process it will try and start everything from the external hard drive instead of internal.

And Windows 7 networks are different from the XP version. Windows 7 has Home Group & etc. So it's probably not going to read the network properly. What file types are the boxing videos, flv, mkv? That might be an issue also. I'd just connect the hard drive straight to the windows 7 laptop.

Comment

install k lite mega codec pack

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Jump View Post
          When restarting your pc/laptop, always disconnect the external hard drive. Because during the rebooting process it will try and start everything from the external hard drive instead of internal.

And Windows 7 networks are different from the XP version. Windows 7 has Home Group & etc. So it's probably not going to read the network properly. What file types are the boxing videos, flv, mkv? That might be an issue also. I'd just connect the hard drive straight to the windows 7 laptop.
          I haven't had any issues with reading files from a different OS, but I do remember that I updated both OS's a few times within the past few weeks so maybe it might have to do something with that.

Yeah, they're mainly mkv files, some other regular video files as well. I connected my external hard drive directly to my laptop, accessed the boxing folder and it still crashes explorer. I've tried looking for a file that might be corrupted, and I thought I narrowed it down, but as soon as I deleted it, I had the same issue.

I have a folder with television shows and I've gone through all my shows to see if maybe it was an issue with the type of file but it didn't crash out on me.

Originally posted by grimmjow View Post
          install k lite mega codec pack
          You know what, I think it could be that, let me try that out real quick. I remember in the HD thread in the video section going through all those instructions on how to get the videos to play without skipping, I had to install some codec packs. Did it on my desktop but not on the laptop.

Edit: Just installed the codec pack and restarted. Now my aero theme is messed. Sigh haha.

Edit 2: Okay fixed the aero issue, now back to the hard drive issue.

Fixed.

I've solved this by going to My Computer > click on "Organize" tab (top left) > folder and search options > view tab. Check "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option and uncheck "Display file icon on thumbnails".
          I had this same problem before but on my XP machine. Guess they still haven't fixed the issue in Windows 7. Thanks for you help guys.
          Last edited by S H A R K B O Y; 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X