Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many days a week should you train on the heavy bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many days a week should you train on the heavy bag?

I heard that training on the heavy bag puts lots of strain on the ligaments and bones (something like that, or is it connective tissue?, I'm not sure)... is this true, if you are training at maximum intensity?

I practice my power shots mostly on the heavy bag and imagine myself getting on the inside to land those big shots, I also work the jab a bit.

So yeah what you think BOYS AND GALS

I think it depends on the individual, how you're doing in terms of injuries and so on.

I do at least a few rounds most days. Short bursts are better. Sometimes I might do a couple of long sessions. Up to you. Just wrap up properly.

Comment

We used to hit the bag and mitts every day with no problems for years.

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
        I think it depends on the individual, how you're doing in terms of injuries and so on.

I do at least a few rounds most days. Short bursts are better. Sometimes I might do a couple of long sessions. Up to you. Just wrap up properly.
        ^This.
        It really does depend on the individual. If you're concerned, use good gloves, gel inserts, and be careful which bags you use. I am a musician and also do a lot of work that requires steady, nimble hands. When I trained the way most people do, the feeling in my hands and the quality of my work declined so I'm super cautious now and my training doesn't degrade my hands.

Comment

Endless rounds of power shots on the heavy bag can eventually take a toll on your hands. The type of bag, gloves/wraps and level of hand conditioning can all make a difference. You probably shouldn't be throwing all power shots during your heavy bag work. You can actually work on speed and not make it a power shot. Also half speed punches. The last punch in a combination would normally be the hardest punch

Comment

If you punch from the top down, instead of from the floor up, you will put more stress on your shoulders. Also if your bag is hung too low, so it doesn't swing freely. And a bag that is too heavy will beat you into a lot of bad habits.

Comment

EVERYDAY!

I never had no issues with anything but some peopel are differnet, some people devolp arthirist, shin splints, etc etc I never was one of those type of poeple or if I did it wasnt something out the norm of pain I felt from everyday life grinding.

so yeah EVERY DAY I work the heavy bag, double end, and hopefully everyday the mitts.

Comment

Originally posted by SoldierOfPeace2 View Post
                I heard that training on the heavy bag puts lots of strain on the ligaments and bones (something like that, or is it connective tissue?, I'm not sure)... is this true, if you are training at maximum intensity?

I practice my power shots mostly on the heavy bag and imagine myself getting on the inside to land those big shots, I also work the jab a bit.

So yeah what you think BOYS AND GALS
                My personnel policy is 3 times a week.

Comment

Heavy bag or bag-work in general is probably better than pad work. 'It is heavy on your bones and connective tissue but? you body adapts to the stress. 2-3 times aweek, I think is a sensible frequency of heavy bag training.

I very rarely see professional fighters these days, really go hard upon the heavy bag 'Floyd Mayweather's heavy bag routines where or looked useless in my opinion. 'David Haye could still punch real good here, I was always impressed by his Heavy bag work'.

This was near the end of his career, but more importantly? Before his collection of injuries sustained in the fights/preparation for Tony Bellew.

Comment

I go 2-3 a week

Comment

Working...
                    X