Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments thread for: 20 years of hurt, American Heavyweight Failure

13/03/1999

This was the last time that America had a true "World Heavyweight Champion"

It was on that night that Lennox Lewis defeated Evander Holyfield. Holyfields title was "saved" by a robbery draw similar to the one Wilder recieved recently against Fury. But he lost, and everyone knew it.

Lennox Lewis in truth, was the best heavyweight for a while before that fight, and went on to reign atop the division for four years.

The American fanbase and media loathed Lewis, predicting his downfall at every turn. Resorting to saying he would never beat prime American ATG's.

After Lewis retired, the Klitschkos emerged and began to demolish, crush and destroy every American sent their way.

Americans ego couldn't accept it.

"Our best heavyweights are in the nfl"

"Prime foreman would beat klitschkos"

So on and so forth

Klitschko was eventually toppled by Fury, and the Americans best hope, a talentless turd with nothing but a big right hand cowered in the shadows. His name was Deontay Wilder. Fiercely protected by the WBC and the US boxing establishment.

Fury, fat and recovering from drug addiction easily exposed the awful Wilder, beating him 10 rounds for 2 and leaving his reputation amongst true fans in tatters.

In two weeks time we reach the anniversary of 20 years since a real American heavyweight champion.

And looking at their current prospects we feel it likely we will be toasting a quarter of a century of failure in 2024.

Holyfield was the last great one but I'd say along with Lewis they were the last two great heavyweights period. I personally don't think either Klithscko goes down as a great and though Joshua and Fury are obviously the two best of today both have a long way to go to be considered great. Wilder is an awful boxer but with a right hand so he's almost respectable IMO but there's just nothing there and the division has been really poor for a while.

Holyfield wasn't prime when he fought Lewis either. Lewis was frozen out for a while which was more Bowe's doing, then his loss to McCall and then King and Tyson. He's lucky Holyfield was determined to be undisputed otherwise King would have frozen him out even longer.

Comment

They are extremely childish and bitter when it comes to Anthony joshua. They do what they always do when an American isnt running the division, and thats saying the division is 'weak and not what it was' funny how the traditionally American dominated 147 is automatically considered the top division in boxing, whats si special about that division now? Absolutely nothing but thr winner of spence v crawford will automatically be made p4p number 1. Hell ive seen spence top 3 on some lists for beating brook coming off a loss and Algieri.

Comment

American here and a fighters nationality has never played a part in whether I liked him or not. I didn't like Lennox because he struck me the wrong way in the beginning and I liked Razor Ruddock and he blasted him out in 2. Petty reasons for sure but I was a petty young man. I've grown to appreciate Lennox and even Wlad and Vitali accomplished even though Wlad was boring as hell at times. There are many more Americans like me than not. This message board does not represent America.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
          They are extremely childish and bitter when it comes to Anthony joshua. They do what they always do when an American isnt running the division, and thats saying the division is 'weak and not what it was' funny how the traditionally American dominated 147 is automatically considered the top division in boxing, whats si special about that division now? Absolutely nothing but thr winner of spence v crawford will automatically be made p4p number 1. Hell ive seen spence top 3 on some lists for beating brook coming off a loss and Algieri.
          Heavyweight is far more dominated by American fighters than welterweight traditionally. The best welter of the 50's was Cuban (Gavilan), the two best of the 60's was a Virgin Islander (Griffith) and a Cuban (Rodriguez), the best of the 70's was a Cuban (Napoles) and the best of the 90's a Puerto Rican (Trinidad). Then there's Lewis (England), McLarnin (Ireland/Canada), Walcott (Barbados) all legit all-time greats and certain top 20 in the divisions history.

Heavyweight and Light-Heavyweight are the two most US dominated divisions historically. I'd argue Welterweight is at best 5th when it comes to US dominance. I think Lightweight has more US dominance perhaps and Middleweight just as much (perhaps more too).

A message board full of trolls and children shouldn't shape your opinion. The US has historically embraced foreign fighters and in fact a large public often roots for them over US fighters perhaps because in general they just root for who they want to without having to think where they came from.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            Heavyweight is far more dominated by American fighters than welterweight traditionally. The best welter of the 50's was Cuban (Gavilan), the two best of the 60's was a Virgin Islander (Griffith) and a Cuban (Rodriguez), the best of the 70's was a Cuban (Napoles) and the best of the 90's a Puerto Rican (Trinidad). Then there's Lewis (England), McLarnin (Ireland/Canada), Walcott (Barbados) all legit all-time greats and certain top 20 in the divisions history.

Heavyweight and Light-Heavyweight are the two most US dominated divisions historically. I'd argue Welterweight is at best 5th when it comes to US dominance. I think Lightweight has more US dominance perhaps and Middleweight just as much (perhaps more too).

A message board full of trolls and children shouldn't shape your opinion. The US has historically embraced foreign fighters and in fact a large public often roots for them over US fighters perhaps because in general they just root for who they want to without having to think where they came from.
            Yea u are right guess its just a vocal minority there are a lot.of good american posters on here

Comment

The only thing Americans have going for them right now in boxing is high ppv. Aside that, they have nothing.

Comment

That was when Lennox Lewis the Canadian took over

Put on accent notwithstanding.

Comment

You are always trashing American boxing and bragging up English boxing to the point were it is getting old and tiresome and annoying. Are you deliberately trying to pick a fight with American boxing fans? It sure seems that way. I am an American boxing fan who picks my favorite fighters by what kind of fighter and person they are and could care less what country they live in. I rooted for Lewis to beat Tyson and I would root for AJ to beat Wilder. Why don't you give it a rest and quit making everything about England vs the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    Well said! I love it when fighters from other areas of the planet get to share in the heavyweight pie....and all other divisions as well. My criteria for pulling for a fighter is a single element or a combination of these: having a nice persona, likable personality, skills, coming from a difficult background, in some case being written off or underappreciated, or have paid their dues, constantly wanting to step up to fight the best.

They are in every part of the world.

What I dont like are: insufferable characters, or act like a$$holes, or refuse to fight the best, or think they deserve entitlement before earning it, do stupid things outside the ring, or make comebacks just for money when they have nothing left and are only risking their health.

And they too, are in every part of the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X