Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: It's Frustrating, Done All We Can To Make Wilder-Joshua

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Holler View Post
    Forget Matchroom, this was DAZN's money. Do you think, for even one second, that DAZN would've offered the kind of money that's been reported for any opponent other than Joshua? Seriously?
    The devils in the details , So us fans can only
    Speculate

Me though , If the contract was for Breazeale, AJ and a rematch for 100 mill , No games AJs locked in for Sept /Oct , I don’t know why Wikder wouldn’t take it, seems legit I’d say he should have took that because It’s everything youd want but we don’t know the details, the Pugmire article says AJ wasn’t guaranteed after Breazeale .

Seems Wilders team want a % so AJ doesn’t make off like a bandit . Don’t know how a % works on a model like Dazn . I’m just a fan that wants to see the fight ASAP. right now it seems more of a d.ick measuring contest with everyone involved. Just hope soon both sides say f.uck it no games or Extra fights or a fighter has to sign with another network, just work out a deal for the fight and a rematch . And make it happen

Comment

• Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      Speculate

Me though , If the contract was for Breazeale, AJ and a rematch for 100 mill , No games AJs locked in for Sept /Oct , I don’t know why Wikder wouldn’t take it, seems legit I’d say he should have took that because It’s everything youd want but we don’t know the details, the Pugmire article says AJ wasn’t guaranteed after Breazeale .

Seems Wilders team want a % so AJ doesn’t make off like a bandit . Don’t know how a % works on a model like Dazn . I’m just a fan that wants to see the fight ASAP. right now it seems more of a d.ick measuring contest with everyone involved. Just hope soon both sides say f.uck it no games or Extra fights or a fighter has to sign with another network, just work out a deal for the fight and a rematch . And make it happen
      You may know more than me but I've seen it stated that they couldn't include AJ in the offer according to US law? Whatever, see my previous point. The only reason to make that offer is if you can deliver AJ as well because DAZN aren't going to spend 120m to have Wilder fight someone else. Skipper works with Hearn on a daily basis. He wouldn't have wasted his own or other peoples time, so this line really doesn't wash.

As for Team Wilder wanting a percentage, it looks pretty clear to me that they were being offered 40% so AJ was getting 60 where Wilder got 40. I doubt many people who looked at the discrepancy in belts/commercial drawing power/relative achievements etc would consider that unfair, but I'm sure someone here will put me right on that. Again, raising this strikes me as a defensive PR move to try and head off any backlash from US fans. Maybe it will work.

As to why he refused it, the answer to that in my view involves Haymon, PBC and the broadcasting landscape, a battle that is currently ongoing and in which billions are at stake. The sad thing for Wilder, Joshua and boxing fans of either fighter or none is that we could've been looking forward to finally seeing these fights happen and US fans wouldn't have been financially gouged in the process. Sadly, certain interests would do anything to stop that happening and they are the reasons this deal was rejected, not Wilder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holler View Post
        You may know more than me but I've seen it stated that they couldn't include AJ in the offer according to US law? Whatever, see my previous point. The only reason to make that offer is if you can deliver AJ as well because DAZN aren't going to spend 120m to have Wilder fight someone else. Skipper works with Hearn on a daily basis. He wouldn't have wasted his own or other peoples time, so this line really doesn't wash.

As for Team Wilder wanting a percentage, it looks pretty clear to me that they were being offered 40% so AJ was getting 60 where Wilder got 40. I doubt many people who looked at the discrepancy in belts/commercial drawing power/relative achievements etc would consider that unfair, but I'm sure someone here will put me right on that. Again, raising this strikes me as a defensive PR move to try and head off any backlash from US fans. Maybe it will work.

As to why he refused it, the answer to that in my view involves Haymon, PBC and the broadcasting landscape, a battle that is currently ongoing and in which billions are at stake. The sad thing for Wilder, Joshua and boxing fans of either fighter or none is that we could've been looking forward to finally seeing these fights happen and US fans wouldn't have been financially gouged in the process. Sadly, certain interests would do anything to stop that happening and they are the reasons this deal was rejected, not Wilder.
        I don’t know sh.it when it comes to not including AJ because of US law. Ward didn’t have a problem having the Kov fight seem good to go and penciled in when he returned .

For sure Dazn wouldn’t offer that $ if not for a AJ fight , That’s why I said devil in the details , maybe if AJ isn’t next for whatever reason , his purse drops significantly . I obviously don’t know just going off the Pugmire article saying AJ wasn’t guaranteed in the offer presented.

To me 40% seems legit but the offer was made when Wikder was negotiating a Fury rematch so the offer doesn’t hold weight. If serious offer a % now or after the Miller fight if AJ/Wikder both win
        , then let’s see

Your last paragraph, I agree 100% , these negotiations are going to be a b.itch and difficult with both sides because what’s at stake. I’ve said this before but this fight is more then all the marbles at HW with the winner going into the history books , Whoever comes
        Out on top between AJ/Wikder their promoter/platform will generate billions of dollars , control the glamour division for years and will have the needed leverage and ability to shape and shift the entire sport landscape in their favour. What this fight means is huge for both sides , AJ /Wikder unfortunately are just by products of the business . And I’m
        Sure both are down to fight but the suits involved have so much at stake I wouldn’t be suprised if it didn’t happen , because both sides fear that if they lose their position in the sport maybe at risk.

Comment

Speculate

Think someone else nailed it earlier. . . If Wilder's getting 40, chances are AJ would be offered 60. . . that would be enough for Wilder to turn it down. I'm not sayin he was right to turn it down, 40m is a ridiculously good offer
          And yeah he could be offered more in a few months from now, but so far all we got to go on is that he has consistently been turning down pay days.

If his PPV numbers were bigger than AJs and he was selling out AT&T, I could see why wouldn't be happy with the offers. But his next fight isn't PPV, and who knows what his purse is, I doubt it's over 8m

Comment

To me 40% seems legit but the offer was made when Wikder was negotiating a Fury rematch so the offer doesn’t hold weight. If serious offer a % now or after the Miller fight if AJ/Wikder both win
            , then let’s see
            This argument works for a single fight on PPV where the size of the pot is unknown in advance. Revenues come in, are divided between the carriers, promoters and there's a pot for the fighters which is divided up, although there's usually a minimum guarantee to ensure they sign with any upside added on once sales come in.

That's been the traditional model for big fights in the US but what DAZN were offering is a little different.

They were making the pot themselves, there's no way they'd recoup the fight's costs, in one fight or even four. There's no immediate upside. They were prepared to pay over the market value for each fighter to commit to a series of fights because that would encourage subscribers to sign on for several months and they would hope to retain enough of those sign ups in the medium and long term to help establish their platform.

So saying 'come back for one fight' is unlikely to elicit the same offer. One fight works far better for a Showtime who make their money immediately via the 90bucks they charge each viewer.

That's why I'm saying the refusal has nothing to do with Wilder not feeling he's getting his due worth. Anyone who follows boxing knows this isn't the case. What's happened here is that some of the people in charge of his career desperately want to hold on to that model, they've sunk billions in to it and DAZN threaten it.

At some point some of the US fans who are so enraged by Eddie Hearn may want to start questioning whether this current model is actually serving their interests or someone elses... Anyway I will leave it there!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Kezzer;19602079]
              Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post

There is/would be no excuses if they fought and a single champion is the result. That works both ways and hence why we don’t want wilder to duck any longer.
              What is it with the brits believing that Wilder is ducking Joshua? He fought Ortiz and Fury and wanted a rematch with Fury. Joshua was offered big money(50 mil) for a Wilder fight and politely declined. Where are you clowns getting your information from? Wilder will fight anyone!

Comment

Working...
              X