Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mikey Garcia-Juan Burgos discussed for Jan. 25 on HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea cause Burgos is so much worthy than Gamboa. This bum is milking that Martinez robbery hard.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Mendez needs to get in on this action. At this point he might be better than Gamboa, and may be the best guy at 130

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        Good. This should have been Burgos' belt in the first place.
        ^^^^^
        This

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
        Why am I not surprised?

Rafael hating as always. Arum making excuses for not wanting to fight Cuban fighters.

Gamboa vs Garcia is a big fight. Burgos is nothing special and he's just another knockout victim.
        It IS a bigger fight then that of burgos and id rather see it honestly. fireworks while it lasted.

Comment

Damn, I forgot it took 8 rounds for Mikey to dispatch of Rocky.

Anyways, pretty good match-up, but I was expecting a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
            Why am I not surprised?

Rafael hating as always. Arum making excuses for not wanting to fight Cuban fighters.

Gamboa vs Garcia is a big fight. Burgos is nothing special and he's just another knockout victim.
            exactly lets get him in there with someone closer to his level burgos will do nothing. gamboa hasn't been active enough but if hes sharp for fight night itll be a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Good fight,, another fight for mikey to shine and prove that he is in fact p4p worthy,,
              You have a strange standard on what opponents are worthy or "P4P quality"

Comment

Originally posted by MatthyssePower View Post
                Mikey Garcia could return on Jan. 25
                November, 25, 2013

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Fresh from a dominant eighth-round knockout of Rocky Martinez on Nov. 9 to win a junior lightweight world title, Mikey Garcia’s first defense is on the drawing board.

Garcia, whose only problem with Martinez was getting dropped in the second round, is expected back on Jan. 25 to headline an HBO card, possibly at the Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

As for who Garcia (33-0, 28 KOs), 25, of Oxnard, Calif., he will fight, Arum and HBO are talking. HBO would like to make a fight between Garcia and interim lightweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa, but that’s probably a pipe dream, thankfully.

Arum has no particular interest in making it, and I was glad to hear that. Gamboa is not a draw, his style has become very boring, he looked bad in his last fight against Darleys Perez, he has twice been arrested for domestic abuse of his ex-wife (including earlier this month) and the Miami resident was implicated in the Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug scandal.

Add all that baggage to the fact that Gamboa has never been a ticket seller or a ratings draw but still commanded large purses and it makes no sense.

Arum’s take: “He is not deserving of fighting Garcia, who has a great image. Who needs a guy who has a second (arrest) for domestic abuse?”

Arum said the opponent he is looking at is contender Juan Carlos Burgos (30-1-2, 20 KOs), 25, of Mexico.

In January at the MSG Theater, Burgos got ripped off in a draw against Martinez and was denied of the title on the undercard of the show on which Garcia beat Orlando Salido in the main event to win a featherweight belt.

“Burgos is one of the names we’ve talked about and he’s a difficult opponent,” Cameron Dunkin, Garcia’s manager, told ESPN.com. “I even talked to Alex Camponovo (of Burgos co-promoter Thompson Boxing) about the fight and they’re interested. But HBO wants to explore other things, Gamboa, of course. They’ve even got a couple of other guys they want to explore. I told (Top Rank vice president) Carl Moretti to go ahead and explore whatever you want.”

Dunkin said that once Mikey Garcia and his brother and trainer, Robert Garcia, are settled after their trip home from Macau, China (where they were for the Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios fight) that the three of them would get on the phone and discuss what Mikey wants to do.

“We’ll try to put something together but Jan. 25 is great,” Dunkin said. “We’re ready to go.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...turn-on-jan-25
                lol Arum is kicking the roided wife beater to the curve, right where he belongs ahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
                  Good fight for mikey.Love that hes staying busy.
                  Yeah and like another poster said, I'm loving his recent competition. The more I see him the more I like him

Comment

Garbage fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X