Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-15-2014, 06:13 PM #1
Interim Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
greeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 7,131.00
Default Chan-Hee Park TKO2 Guty Espadas

In order to view this content you need to enable Functional Cookies by clicking on "Manage Cookies"

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

An amazing shoot-out between two extremely underrated flyweights.

Espadas, who usually was very good and well-schooled defensively while he moved forward, couldnít cope with the speed, excellent variety and punch-placement of Park.

It can be argued that the stoppage is a bit premature, but it is still a highly impressive performance by Park, especially if you know how good Espadas had looked in the fights prior to this one.

Coming into this fight, Park had only 13 professional fights under his belt, and two of those were against a slightly faded, but still excellent Miguel Canto - who got dominated by Park in their first meeting and was replaced as king of the flyweight division.

In other words, Espadas were up against a top-notch talent who possessed exceptional skills.

So folks, let me hear your opinions on this fight.
greeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 AM #2
Interim Champion

greeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond reputegreeh has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is a heavyweight centric section, but havenít anyone watched it?

:bart:

All of you are nothing else than marauders!

Ignoring this brilliant fight is like to ignore the brilliance of Kalule - and we all know that's simply not possible.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 AM #3
Up and Comer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
scartissue is a glorious beacon of lightscartissue is a glorious beacon of lightscartissue is a glorious beacon of lightscartissue is a glorious beacon of lightscartissue is a glorious beacon of lightscartissue is a glorious beacon of light
Bank: 1,035.53
Total Points: 6,221.53

Greeh, thanks for this. I recall this fight when it took place, but reading text never compares to actually watching and forming your own opinion. I do believe the stoppage was a bit premature, seeing as how Espadas got back into the fight after that first round, was doing well and had Park's nose bloodied. He should have been given more a of a chance. But damn good fight. Thanks again for posting.
scartissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM #4
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Greeh, thanks for this. I recall this fight when it took place, but reading text never compares to actually watching and forming your own opinion. I do believe the stoppage was a bit premature, seeing as how Espadas got back into the fight after that first round, was doing well and had Park's nose bloodied. He should have been given more a of a chance. But damn good fight. Thanks again for posting.
No problems and I am glad you liked it.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

As you say, it's a excellent fight. What is even more impressive is that Espadas had looked very good prior to this fight. He wasn't faded or shot. He just met a magnificent version of Park.

It's easy to forget how good Espadas was. He really was a quality operator. He reminds me of a more pressure oriented Chucho Castillo with his superb left-hand work.

Have you seen anything of these two prior to this fight? If so, I would like to hear your thoughts on them.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM #5
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Andyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,369.00
Default Short Fights

GREEH:

Your thoughts on Jesus Pimental....should he be in the IBHOF?
Andyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:24 PM #6
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
GREEH:

Your thoughts on Jesus Pimental....should he be in the IBHOF?
He was a good, solid fighter with huge power that was fairly well-schooled but pretty basic skill-wise. I would say he was a notch or two below the absolute best in the division, and I rank other contenders at the time as Jose Medel and Alan Rudkin higher, but being a contender in the horribly deep bantamweight division during the 60's is no mean feat. His best win was against Mimoun Ben Ali, a long-time contender in the flyweight and bantamweight divisions.

When Pimentel finally got his shot at the title against Ruben Olivares he was past his peak. If he had fought today he would surely pick up a strap or two.

So to answering your question, Andy, I would say no. He should not be in the HOF. But who knows when someone like Gatti is in...
Old 03-16-2014, 02:30 PM #7
Interim Champion

By the way Andy. Did you watch the fight?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM #8
Contender

Andyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond reputeAndyland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short Fights

What fight are you referring to?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:33 PM #9
Interim Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
What fight are you referring to?
Chan-Hee Park vs Guty Espadas.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 PM #10
Contender

Default Short Fights

Park vs Espadas: very good fight perhaps a questionable stoppage
but still a rousing fight.

First fight I'm aware of that flowers/wreaths were given to the fighters
and referee..nice touch.

I was aware of all these fighters in my younger days but had never
seen them fight...I especially enjoy your analysis and comments.

Share This With Friends

Tags
espadas, flyweight, guty, park