Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Minor League Baseball players be better compensated and given more luxuries ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    They should.

You can make more money working full time for McDonalds than you can at minor league minimum.
    McDonald's is profitable. Are these minor league teams profitable? I suspect overall or most of them they aren't, but in fairness I don't know that for a fact.

To me I don't see this any differently then how things work in any competitive sphere where there is a ton of money, but its at the top.

Look at acting or standup comedy. There are a million pull themselves up by their bootstrap stories in those worlds & where very talented people had to get side gigs to pay the rent at times or had to have too many roommates to reduce expenses. F#cking standup comedian Steve Harvey lived in his car for 3 years on the come up.

Things are always going to work like that when you got a huge number of people trying to earn their way to positions that only got a % of those trying to get there.

For a lil clarity...

There are 750 MLB spots.
    There are 6,000+ minor league players. 12.5% get to the MLB.
    There are 35,000+ college players. 2.1% get to the MLB.
    There are 500,000+ HS players. 0.15% get to the MLB.

Thats a lot of mfing weeding out going on before you even get to the paid ranks at all. And still 87.5% of those making it to the minors won't make it to the MLB where money is finally starting to get made on these athletes after a decade or longer playing the game. It sucks for the people not good enough to play, act, make people laugh or w/e in those competitive worlds, but low level versions of these worlds aren't rolling in dough to put people in 5 br 3 ba houses with a 70k car in the driveway.

And looking at the minimums its not looking THAT bad honestly once you prove yourself.

The bottom guy in A ball is getting $6.4k for a 6mo season. A ball being where most guys are at.
    The average AA ball guy is getting $36k for a 6mo season
    The average AAA ball guy is getting $60k for a 6mo season.

And the bottom guy in the MLB is getting $545k for the 6mo season.
    Last edited by Eff Pandas; 06-24-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

For a lil clarity...

There are 750 MLB spots.

And looking at the minimums its not looking THAT bad honestly once you prove yourself.
      The bottom guy in A ball is getting $6.4k for a 6mo season. A ball being where most guys are at.

Hey bro, I got no issue with any of your views. I'm just curious where you got your figures for AA and AAA. Maybe I have an outdated source, or maybe yours are factoring in signing bonuses ?

I'm reading 12.9K for AAA over 6 mo. You got 60K ? I can't really imagine anyone complaining about 60K over 6mo. That would negate Eaton's theory as well....

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post
        Hey bro, I got no issue with any of your views. I'm just curious where you got your figures for AA and AAA. Maybe I have an outdated source, or maybe yours are factoring in signing bonuses ?

I'm reading 12.9K for AAA over 6 mo. You got 60K ? I can't really imagine anyone complaining about 60K over 6mo. That would negate Eaton's theory as well....
        Looks like its from 2018.

In a fact sheet, MLB listed average pay for minor league players, ranging from $1,300 per month in the lowest A-level leagues, to $10,000 per month in Triple A.
        https://www.marketplace.org/2018/04/...pute-over-pay/

I think your $12.9k is based on the minimum at AAA of 2.1k/mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          McDonald's is profitable. Are these minor league teams profitable? I suspect overall or most of them they aren't, but in fairness I don't know that for a fact.

To me I don't see this any differently then how things work in any competitive sphere where there is a ton of money, but its at the top.

Look at acting or standup comedy. There are a million pull themselves up by their bootstrap stories in those worlds & where very talented people had to get side gigs to pay the rent at times or had to have too many roommates to reduce expenses. F#cking standup comedian Steve Harvey lived in his car for 3 years on the come up.

Things are always going to work like that when you got a huge number of people trying to earn their way to positions that only got a % of those trying to get there.

For a lil clarity...

There are 750 MLB spots.

Thats a lot of mfing weeding out going on before you even get to the paid ranks at all. And still 87.5% of those making it to the minors won't make it to the MLB where money is finally starting to get made on these athletes after a decade or longer playing the game. It sucks for the people not good enough to play, act, make people laugh or w/e in those competitive worlds, but low level versions of these worlds aren't rolling in dough to put people in 5 br 3 ba houses with a 70k car in the driveway.

“There are 750 MLB spots.
          There are 500,000+ HS players. 0.15% get to the MLB.”

How much do you know about baseball, eff pandas?

I ask because you’re separating college players, HS players, and minor league players chances of getting to the MLB. Every player, college, HS, or International, goes to the Minor Leagues FIRST.

There is no such thing as going from college to literally straight to MLB, in a 40 man roster. Or from HS to MLB. You get drafted out of college, high school or internationally (scouted) by a Major League team and then signed to a minor league deal.

It would be more helpful if you linked your figures so I can see the context of them.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            “There are 750 MLB spots.
            There are 500,000+ HS players. 0.15% get to the MLB.”

How much do you know about baseball, eff pandas?

I ask because you’re separating college players, HS players, and minor league players chances of getting to the MLB. Every player, college, HS, or International, goes to the Minor Leagues FIRST.

There is no such thing as going from college to literally straight to MLB, in a 40 man roster. Or from HS to MLB. You get drafted out of college, high school or internationally (scouted) by a Major League team and then signed to a minor league deal.
            Yea I know. I just threw in an a % at each level that COULD potentially make it to the MLB at some point to show how bottle necked/competitive it is for that half a mill guys at HS on down to the 6k minor league guys to get all the way there from whatever level they happen to be at.

Comment

Working...
            X