Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto was not going to be competitive with Mayweather at 140 during 2004-2006

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto was not going to be competitive with Mayweather at 140 during 2004-2006

Certain fights happen at the right time, or at better time than when they were first possible to make. Mayweather and Cotto were on top rank promotions when both

Campaigned at 140 pounds. Cotto held the WBO belt and Mayweather won the WBC title from Arturo Gatti after this fight.

Many complain that this fight happened too late. When I saw this fight live and saw Cotto and his handlers reaction, it showed me all i needed to know. Had this fight happened in 2004-2005, I dont think Cotto would have become the fighter he is today or accomplished things that he went on to accomplish. Henry Brusles is Cotto's stablemate. Of course they were scouting Mayweather as a potential opponent.

He would have took a beating from this version of mayweather. Cotto would have got stopped....everyone mayweather fought from late 2003 to early 2006 he stopped or dropped multiple times(corely is the only one to go the distance).

This was a prime 27 year old mayweather....not a 35 year old version Cotto fought in 2012.

Comment

Comment

I remember the look on Cotto's face during the Gatti fight, he didn't want it lol.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
            I remember the look on Cotto's face during the Gatti fight, he didn't want it lol.
            he looked concerned

people forget pretty boy floyd was elusive, athletic , threw combos and actually got knockouts and stoppages from 130-140 in his prime

he was not the old potshotter of the 2010s

Comment

0:27 in the first video, damn what instinct to avoid that left hook!

It's amazing how no one ever dropped him, he literally made people miss by centimetres, surely someone would have landed a grazing hook, caught him off guard with a flash knockdown?

Great reflexes.

Comment

2012 Cotto wasn't the past it Cotto who got beat up by Margarito or Pacquiao, either.

To say Cotto wouldn't even be competitive with Mayweather at 140 is absurd. Cotto's not Arturo Gatti or any of the other fighters Mayweather beat at 140.

Comment

Imo Cotto drained himself too much to make 140lbs. I always thought his chin was suspect at that weight. He surprised me once he moved to 147lbs. and took Mosley's punches. I think Floyd would've possibly T/KO'd him at 140lbs... I think Bob Arum thought the same lol. Older Floyd hurt 154lb. Cotto in the 12th but didn't try to follow up.

Comment

The fight should've happened in 2007-2008 when Cotto was at 147. Cottos team declined the fight at 140 if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                    X