Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 AM #1
Banned

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
NYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 48,971.29
kick this cuckold - Freedom. 
Default Cutting off the ring-underrated?

Not too many people talk about this aspect of boxing, but i think its important. A big part of GGG's success is his ability to cut off the ring and catch his opponent and **** them up. Just an example, Pacquiao does it too.

In Ward-Kovalev, why didnt Kovalev cut off the ring at all? All this talk about Kovalev being smart, he didnt look smart when his power was neutralized and he didnt even try to cut off the ring to try to overpower Ward and land some shots. He was just following Ward getting tired jabbed. Can anybody answer that?

Instead of crying about Ward winning, why not question why Kovalev couldnt adjust to Wards adjustments? Does Kovalev expect to KO everybody? Guy had no urgency at all after round 2. Maybe the big scary russian thought he win with a KD and coasted through the fight, or maybe he just got solved. Either way, Ward won kids.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
NYC8224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Thraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond reputeThraxox has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,197,529.88
Total Points: 633,152,095.11
You have some nice nipples there. - Vegemil First Rate Poster - ironmt Use a small dildo you Butthurt pac turd - Robbie Barrett Continually making great posts - ironmt 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Willy Wanker 

Pacquiao does not cutt off the ring, his a bouncing fighter that relies on explosiveness and head movement and especially foot work to do damage and avoiding fighters. You don't cut off the ring on fighters that are 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier unless you want to die.

But Kovalev, GGG, and Roman Gonzales are the virtuso of that ability, and that counts as ring general ship on their part.
Thraxox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:12 AM #3
chuzando a tu vieja

Quoted: 4016 Post(s)
LoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,524,063,227,171,406,848.00
Total Points: 6,524,063,227,174,718,464.00
war b-suth - Mike D For May 3rd to celebrate Mayweather's FIRST LOSS!! - Golovkin The LOADED medal!!! A special medal given to LoadedWraps for catching bodies on a daily basis. 1/1 SPECIAL EDITION. - Golovkin Red and Gold is my blood - -jose- A beer for my Comrad! - DonMega 
Toy my friend!One week  from history! - fundicao Guerra Cotto...PRPP..Tu Sabe.. - PRPOWERPUNCHES War Fury - valero Tyson Fury bout to give Wladimir the ol' Pizza Face - Thurman Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
War Fury! - StudentOfDaGame Long live the king lol - HughJass No Message - anthonydavid11 that sig pic tho.. - Santa_ LoadedWraps that dude - Mike D 
Cheers brother! - Bombs Away! No Message - anthonydavid11 You're still one of my favorite posters bruh...even when we disagree - Mike D Something to drink during Kovalev-Ward! - mathed 2017 MVP - Mike D 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - punchr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC8224 View Post
Not too many people talk about this aspect of boxing, but i think its important. A big part of GGG's success is his ability to cut off the ring and catch his opponent and **** them up. Just an example, Pacquiao does it too.

In Ward-Kovalev, why didnt Kovalev cut off the ring at all? All this talk about Kovalev being smart, he didnt look smart when his power was neutralized and he didnt even try to cut off the ring to try to overpower Ward and land some shots. He was just following Ward getting tired jabbed. Can anybody answer that?

Instead of crying about Ward winning, why not question why Kovalev couldnt adjust to Wards adjustments? Does Kovalev expect to KO everybody? Guy had no urgency at all after round 2. Maybe the big scary russian thought he win with a KD and coasted through the fight, or maybe he just got solved. Either way, Ward won kids.
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Kovalev actually excels at cutting the ring off, but he chose to box from the outside more than stalk and hunt and he drifted away from it.

Similar to how ODLH is a master boxer who had one of the most educated jabs in the sport abandoned it against Floyd, except Kovalev did this more intentionally.

Make no mistake, Kovalev will cut him off, and chop him down in the rematch.
LoadedWraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
yngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond reputeyngwie has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,120,227.67

Of course it is an underrated skill.
Golovkin clearly is the best right now, but Rigondeaux is quite good as well as Lomachenko and Lucas Matthyse was underrated when it comes to cutting of the ring.
yngwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 AM #5
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 8199 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 66,241,010,360,168,520.00
Total Points: 266,441,010,459,884,000.00
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX 

Only if it's relevant to your style. Kovalev rarely hammers guys in the corner unless he has them hurt. He prefers to step back and reset. Reason being, he likes to use his tremendous length which keeps his safe from counters. Watch the way he extends himself when attacking and if a guy stops against the ropes, he often hesitates, then resets in the center.
It works for him.

Golovkin doesn't attack like Kovelev at all. He hunts, then hammers in close. Kov prefers space. No reason they should be compared.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:28 AM #6
Banned

NYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond reputeNYC8224 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Only if it's relevant to your style. Kovalev rarely hammers guys in the corner unless he has them hurt. He prefers to step back and reset. Reason being, he likes to use his tremendous length which keeps his safe from counters. Watch the way he extends himself when attacking and if a guy stops against the ropes, he often hesitates, then resets in the center.
It works for him.

Golovkin doesn't attack like Kovelev at all. He hunts, then hammers in close. Kov prefers space. No reason they should be compared.
Not comparing, i was using GGG as an example since he cuts off the ring.

What i mean is maybe Kovalev should have made that adjustment against Ward. It might work against other guys but Ward was different, i just wonder if it would have made a difference
Old 11-22-2016, 12:44 AM #7
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 8199 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 66,241,010,360,168,520.00
Total Points: 266,441,010,459,884,000.00
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC8224 View Post
What i mean is maybe Kovalev should have made that adjustment against Ward. It might work against other guys but Ward was different, i just wonder if it would have made a difference
As someone who is admittedly also a Kovelev fan, I wonder that myself. I say "it works for him" to keep space and reset. But, he lost a close fight so there's the issue of "do I change or do I really feel that what I did is good enough?"
I can see why he wants space, especially against a guy who was slippery and counters to the body. But, if he were able to hurt Andre against the ropes, his chances of really wearing him down or finishing him becomes much greater because he has him pinned.

Kovalev's effective reach was much better than Andre's so he may want to stick with that. Hard to speculate but I'll agree that it is an interesting subject.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 AM #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
As someone who is admittedly also a Kovelev fan, I wonder that myself. I say "it works for him" to keep space and reset. But, he lost a close fight so there's the issue of "do I change or do I really feel that what I did is good enough?"
I can see why he wants space, especially against a guy who was slippery and counters to the body. But, if he were able to hurt Andre against the ropes, his chances of really wearing him down or finishing him becomes much greater because he has him pinned.

Kovalev's effective reach was much better than Andre's so he may want to stick with that. Hard to speculate but I'll agree that it is an interesting subject.
I agree. Should be something he talk about with his trainers because it could be a difference in a rematch
Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 AM #9

Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
DeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,459,002,110,396,361,342,976.00
Total Points: 24,459,104,110,401,367,834,624.00
Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab owning pactards - I'm so sorry No Message - MARKBNLV No Message - MARKBNLV 
No Message - MARKBNLV Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - WESS Thanks for the green - damit305 :rofl: :rofl: Your post on triggs thread - jose830 
No Message - WESS have a cold one on me - sugarsmosley Good post about Maidana - punchr Thnx 4 the green ;) - Boxing Goat 

Cutting off the ring =/= swarming overmatched opposition
DeadLikeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
HeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond reputeHeadShots has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,000,451,990.62
Congratulations on being the leading NSB bottomfeeder - Nay_Sayer from your lover GG - RiC-DiC Love to fight with you grab a popcorn - Canelo and GGG Keep up the great posts - anthonydavid11 

Golovkin actually has a body attack too.

Kovalev has KD's with body shots but they are all straight shots from the outside. straight jab or straight right.

Golovkin can get in close with his head on the opponent's chest and dig to the body with short hooks. Kov for whatever reason doesn't have this ability. So many times I saw the opportunity for him to dig to the body but he let Ward back out of the ropes.
HeadShots is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
cutting, ring-underrated?

User Tag List