Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was an orthodox fighter with an amazing right hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosley has the overhand right.

Comment

Tyson...........

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
        I've seen Orthodox fighters throw the right hook as a counterpunch or as they take a step forward.

I don't know that many Southpaws with great right hooks either.
        The southpaw equivalent is the left hook(because they lead with their right).

Two great southpaw left hooks in recent memory are Martinez' ko of Williams & Pacquiao's ko of Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
          Tyson...........
          Tyson Fury or Mike Tyson lol! Yeah you hit the nail, Mike basically invented the right hook to the body followed immediately by the right uppercut to complete the combo. Dude had the most vicious right hook I've ever seen from an orthodox fighter. Hagler is another one that comes to mind when he would switch to orthodox, but I guess he doesn't really count b/c 12 out of the 15 rds were anchored down by a southpaw stance.

Comment

Originally posted by tomatocantender View Post
            Tyson Fury or Mike Tyson lol! Yeah you hit the nail, Mike basically invented the right hook to the body followed immediately by the right uppercut to complete the combo. Dude had the most vicious right hook I've ever seen from an orthodox fighter. Hagler is another one that comes to mind when he would switch to orthodox, but I guess he doesn't really count b/c 12 out of the 15 rds were anchored down by a southpaw stance.
            wouldnt mike swith to southpaw to throw that right hook/uppercut? at least he squared up to throw it. i dotn think he was ever in that orthodox position when throwing them, right?

Comment

Its not really a good punch to throw unless your on the inside. If your orthodox and throw a right hook your pretty much squaring off and leaving yourself open to be countered.

Comment

I agree with the consensus here; It's an instinct punch. Only used in certain circumstances.

Comment

Floyd, when he rolls that right cross from his opponents and then return with a smashing counter right hook, it does kick ass. There's a lot of fighters though throughout the history, but right now floyd comes first in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                    wouldnt mike swith to southpaw to throw that right hook/uppercut? at least he squared up to throw it. i dotn think he was ever in that orthodox position when throwing them, right?
                    Damn, you got a great frickin memory. Yeah I think Mike would square up sometimes to blast that famous right hook to the body then the right uppercut that was shot out of a gaatdamn cannon. And I also think he would lead with the right foot sometimes giving the appearance of a switch hit to blast off that right hook. But all in all I still think you have to give him credit for throwing it, at least sometimes, out of the orthodox stance. And speaking of squaring up, that is a HUGE no-no for 99.5% of the boxing world, but dudes like Tyson in their prime...well it didn't matter b/c that combo was so crisp, accurate and vicious that it put dudes night-night time.

Good catch my dude, I stand corrected. The ole long-term memory aint what it use to be but just thinking back to that era of the late 80's and 90's of Boxing still puts a smile on my face lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
                      Floyd, when he rolls that right cross from his opponents and then return with a smashing counter right hook, it does kick ass. There's a lot of fighters though throughout the history, but right now floyd comes first in my mind.
                      I see what you're saying about Floyd working and countering off the roll but I don't think he fires back with a true right hook. I think it's more of a lead right or sometimes he check-hooks it off, but I still don't think it's the traditional right hook. Could be wrong but I've been watching this kid's magic from the late 90's and have mostly seen him turn those gloves over into a lead right, imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X