No announcement yet.

What do Matthysse fans think?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Matthysse fans think?

I've always liked Matthysse and I've always said he is a good fighter but I've had several arguments on this forum with Matthysse fans who have called me a hater when I don't agree that he is an unstoppable machine. He couldn't stop an ageing Judah and lost and then he lost in a close fight to Alexander. Every step up, barring Peterson, has left Matthysse as a failure. Then came Garcia, "en dos round"...do you all remember that? Not only did Garcia beat him as a boxer that night, he broke Matthysse's heart. Molina almost took him out too.

Since then, I've been saying Matthysse lacks true fighting spirit and I was shocked he beat Provo but then again, Provo slowed down terribly in the later rounds, leaving the door open for Matthysse to go home a winner. In this fight, I expected Matthysse to box his way to a win but I also said that if Postol is real, this is his time to prove it. He proved it beyond any doubt.

So what do the Matthysse fans say now then? Is their man anything more than a perennial contender who has some decent pop? I don't think he is, I never did. And that's not hating, that's just recognising a fighter's ceiling.

His power has always been pretty unique, he's actually a pretty good boxer too. His team is one of the worst in boxing top contenders. Had he been American he would have won some of the fights in which he clearly got screwed. Had he had a top level team he wouldnt have lost crap fights like last night, against an overall inferior guy with a better gameplan. At this point he really is screwed, that age, still hanging with fking Latigo Coggi its just too late and a real shame.
    That's pretty much it. maybe he can make somewhat of a comeback but at his age and having lost his best chances its just one of those guys hardcore boxing fans will remember fondly but not a well known world champion which no one can deny he was more than capable of being if he had better or more influential people around him at the right time.
    You have the perfect example in your own sigline. Maravilla Martinez, a true ALL TIME GREAT TALENT. but just didnt have the chances to rule as a world champ until he was freaking 40 years old. Maravilla had speed, power, and skills, and he would have been a much better champ for say 5 or 6 years instead of the shtty paper champs we see floating around so much.
    Last edited by FerFAL; 10-04-2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

My heart aches.

Postol should have stand still and just let lucas hit him, why didnt he?

freaking chicken.

(sarcasm), But naw sad to see a great figther get stopped that way, but its boxing it happens. The better man won tonight, looking forward to postol next fight.

Comment

don't blame his team, he quit last night, his trainer didn't go in the ring and ask him to quit did he?

Matthysse had the same plan he has always had, try and outbox an opponent and look for big punches, it helped him beat Provo who is very basic. But against better, more skilled opponents, when Mathhysse realises "damn, I can't outbox him" he goes to throw big punches and when he can't get them out, like Garcia or Alexander, he starts to tire down the stretch and his activity decreases. Matt doesn't have the heart for a war.

I and many other objective fans have been saying this for years.

Comment

Not a hardcore fan of either. I bet Lucas & lost.
          Many boxing fans had it right, I bet wrong.

I lost. I don't hate Postol for messing with my money, but he won.

It was surprising to me, but that is boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by FBLM View Post
            My heart aches.

Postol should have stand still and just let lucas hit him, why didnt he?

freaking chicken.

(sarcasm), But naw sad to see a great figther get stopped that way, but its boxing it happens. The better man won tonight, looking forward to postol next fight.
            lool

Almost as good as the "his eye was hurt against danny" excuse or the "too many low blows" lol

Matt was throwing so many rabbit punches last night, I fully expected a fluffy tail to sprout from his arse.

Comment

He clearly beat Alexander and he wasn't supposed to beat Judah. He was the untested foreigner Judah was supposed to beat on one of his many comebacks, and most thought Lucas won. He's proven himself to be one of the best fighters at 140.

I'm disappointed about last night, though. I've never seen Lucas just give up. His effort over the last 3 rounds was almost nonexistent. It was very disappointing. Makes me think he doesn't want to fight anymore.

Comment

noway in hell was there anything clear about the alexander fight, this is what I mean about Matthyse fans smh

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  noway in hell was there anything clear about the alexander fight, this is what I mean about Matthyse fans smh
                  Like 90% of people thought Lucas won that fight. There's no way Alexander won 6 rounds and that's what he needed to win because of the KD. It was a clear as day robbery and that is how it is generally considered.

Comment

I'm sad to say I think he's finished. He fought like he'd went through a round of chemotherapy before the fight. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it came out that there was something really wrong with him. It's either that or he's completely stopped caring about boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X