Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian couple abandon surrogate Down's Syndrome baby (kept his healthy sister)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian couple abandon surrogate Down's Syndrome baby (kept his healthy sister)

Australian couple abandon surrogate Down's Syndrome baby

The surrogate mother tells ABC News: "I love him, he's like my child now"

The six-month-old boy, named Gammy, also has a congenital heart condition and needs urgent medical treatment.

Pattaramon Chanbua was left to care for him after his Australian parents only wanted his healthy twin sister.

She was paid $15,000 (£9,000) to be a surrogate for the couple, whose iden****** remain unknown.

Mrs Pattaramon was told of the child's condition four months after becoming pregnant and the couple asked her to have an abortion but she refused, saying it was against her Buddhist beliefs.

Images of Gammy taken from the fundraising page, Hope for Gammy
    The 21-year-old, who already has two children, says she cannot afford to pay for the expensive treatment to deal with his life-threatening heart condition.

"The money that was offered was a lot for me. In my mind, with that money, one, we can educate my children, we can repay our debt," she told Australia's ABC broadcaster.

Thai newspaper Thairath published Gammy's story last week and an online campaign to raise money for his treatment was launched shortly afterwards.

So far hundreds of people have donated more than $120,000 (£70,000) towards the fund's $150,000 (£90,000) target.

'Horrible neglect!'
    There were also dozens of messages of support for Gammy and her mother, and several expressing outrage at the Australian couple's actions.

"May this selfish and heartless couple be exposed and shamed for this horrible neglect!" one comment read.

A spokesman for Australia's foreign affairs department told the AFP news agency it was "concerned" by the reports and was in consultation with Thai authorities over surrogacy issues.

Tares Krassanairawiwong, a Thai health official, said it was illegal to pay for surrogacy in Thailand.

"Surrogacy can be done in Thailand but it has to comply with the laws. A surrogate has to be related to the intended parents and no money can be involved."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28617912

What pieces of ****.

Yeah that is some bad joo joo that. The parents damn well should be named and shamed - exposed. And props to the people raising money for the fund.

I hope their daughter falls in love with a down syndrome man when she is older. Red K given to the parents....

Comment

Originally posted by RightJab View Post
      Yeah that is some bad joo joo that. The parents damn well should be named and shamed - exposed. And props to the people raising money for the fund.

I hope their daughter falls in love with a down syndrome man when she is older. Red K given to the parents....
      I was with you right until there. Really? lol

It's pretty much as selfish an act as you can do to give up one of your CHILDREN because he has Downs Syndrome and you don't want to deal with him.

Comment

regardless if the couple used a surrogate or not, they would have had that baby with down aborted. in this case though the surrogate didn't want that.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post

It's pretty much as selfish an act as you can do to give up one of your CHILDREN because he has Downs Syndrome and you don't want to deal with him.
          Yeah the last bit was a poor attempt at making some light on a sensitive/grim topic is all dude.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post

i am against abortion but i can understand parents wanting to have abortion if his child has down syndrome.. not necessarily for selfish reasons coz they maybe protecting their child from bullying, pain and suffering he will experience..

i will however judge a mother/parents having abortion coz they are not ready or they are still in their teens.. for me this is the worst sin of all.. killing your own child coz you are not ready.. i will never marry a woman who had abortion..

Comment

what a touching story. I really hope that this baby is all right now ...

Comment

I have a coworker who’s wife is doing this surrogacy. It’s in the contract that the “parents” can have her abort if it’s handicap or anything like that.

This woman voided her contract. I see no issue with this. That’s what happens when you make a business agreement to bring a baby into the world.

Comment

I guess naming him Gammy is going be the least of the little tards problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Deez View Post
                    I guess naming him Gammy is going be the least of the little tards problems.
                    Ignoring me now sweet cheeks?

Comment

Working...
                    X