Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you guys seen the 1998 p4p rankings(very interesting)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
    I think he retired out of losing his love for the game, losing interest. He might have burned himself out. Margs, Cotto, Mosley, Williams, Manny didn't heat things up until after Floyd was gone, there was no evidence of those fighters being threats to Floyd before 2008. I honestly think that's why he came back. The fight game got interesting, and I do think he got jealous that they were praising Manny as the new #1 guy. He had a reason to compete again. But in no way am I saying Floyd had intentions of fighting all of those guys. Not out of fear, but out of entitlement that he's "Floyd Mayweather/Cash Cow"
    Every single one of those fighters mentioned was a visible threat to Mayweather when he "retired". To say that they weren't shows little knowledge of simple business. With top fighters, or potentially top fighters, a "long-view" is taken of which fights are "viable". Just the way a big business plans for the years ahead, or a concert star books or potentially books arenas months ahead of any publicly announced show.

Mayweather or/and his Brains Trust KNEW that if he continued fighting he was bound to have to fight several of these guys within the year. Simple logic. An example....;

Marciano fans say that he didn't retire to avoid fighting Floyd Patterson. Yet...Patterson was much younger than he, and was killing all his opponents dead. Every analyst was saying that he was the coming champion. Before Marciano retired, Patterson had just KOd 11 straight opponents out of 12, and even today is recognised as having the fastest heavyweight hands.

I have a RING MAGAZINE where Marciano gives an interview with the ace reporter and later Publisher Nat Loubet. Marciano (who had a relatively short 5-6 year career) adamantly says that he's got lots to learn yet, and has no intention of retiring anytime soon...... Just a few days after this interview, Patterson knocks over another #1 contender. And 7 or so days later, Marciano announces his retirement........... Wellll

Marciano absolutely KNEW he'd have had to fight Patterson next. ...... 4-5 months later Patterson KO'd Archie Moore for the title, nearly killed him. One thing has ALWAYS been very clear. Marciano LOVED money, didn't trust banks and buried his reputed $4 mill around his property where people still come to do a bit of digging. But Marciano LOVED his unbeaten record even more than money itself. Because he was offered millions to "comeback" and fight Patterson and after training secretly for months, he refused. He was still only about 33-34.

I believe that this is analogous to the Mayweather retirement situation except that Mayweather 'came-back" when the threats were diminished. He was also very much bulked up with previously unseen muscles......

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
      it's just weird how floyd's a ducker and cherry picker but joe he's a 2 division champ who beat his fellow champs funny how you don't hold one guy to the same standard.

besides lennox and the klits ,joe was probably the most famous European boxer after he beat lacy that night.
      they were both overrated cherry pickers. calzaghe actually hasthe best win over hopkins although that should be a loss at least he took a risk. floyd piled up a lot more b level wins while calzaghe fought almost entirely bums.

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
        man,look at all these excuses.

so a guy doesn't want to train and that's the other fighters fault?

so a guy is in debt and that's the other fighters fault?
        My heavens you scared me pink with those huge excerpts.. what was that for?? They were not excuses, they were facts which can be and have been proven. I don't make up imaginary events. People who look into things usually find that they are different than what are given to the public, yet everything I've written was either printed by or spoken by reputable people.

If you're too thick to recognise truth and fact when you see or hear it, then far be-it-for-me to disturb you in your wallow......

And no-one is saying it was "the other fellow's" fault....although the Mayweather Brains Trust are KNOWN to have seized that particular time to dangle $225-$250,000 under Corrales' eyes when he was so desperate that he was half crazy with desperation. Over his head in debt, a ruined home life, and a divorce pending, a 2 year prison sentence awaiting, a possible ending to his career, and a self-appraisal that was devastating, as I and a few others know.

Not to mention that he had to take off about 20 lbs which he'd already found he could not do healthily.

As he said very reluctantly in that long TV interview. ".....weelll..you could say... they made me an offer I just couldn't refuse....I needed the money" This, by the way, was BEFORE the fight.

To me it was "business" at it's worst. Let's end this delving into a desperation period in the life of a person who is no longer with us.
        Last edited by edgarg; 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM. Reason: 3 typos

Comment

Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
          Floyd's been top 10 since 1998. He turned pro in 96. There's a reason for that.
          yes there was the " something to prove" then comes "Fear for ones health" the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
            Every single one of those fighters mentioned was a visible threat to Mayweather when he "retired". To say that they weren't shows little knowledge of simple business. With top fighters, or potentially top fighters, a "long-view" is taken of which fights are "viable". Just the way a big business plans for the years ahead, or a concert star books or potentially books arenas months ahead of any publicly announced show.

Mayweather or/and his Brains Trust KNEW that if he continued fighting he was bound to have to fight several of these guys within the year. Simple logic. An example....;

Marciano fans say that he didn't retire to avoid fighting Floyd Patterson. Yet...Patterson was much younger than he, and was killing all his opponents dead. Every analyst was saying that he was the coming champion. Before Marciano retired, Patterson had just KOd 11 straight opponents out of 12, and even today is recognised as having the fastest heavyweight hands.

I have a RING MAGAZINE where Marciano gives an interview with the ace reporter and later Publisher Nat Loubet. Marciano (who had a relatively short 5-6 year career) adamantly says that he's got lots to learn yet, and has no intention of retiring anytime soon...... Just a few days after this interview, Patterson knocks over another #1 contender. And 7 or so days later, Marciano announces his retirement........... Wellll

Marciano absolutely KNEW he'd have had to fight Patterson next. ...... 4-5 months later Patterson KO'd Archie Moore for the title, nearly killed him. One thing has ALWAYS been very clear. Marciano LOVED money, didn't trust banks and buried his reputed $4 mill around his property where people still come to do a bit of digging. But Marciano LOVED his unbeaten record even more than money itself. Because he was offered millions to "comeback" and fight Patterson and after training secretly for months, he refused. He was still only about 33-34.

I believe that this is analogous to the Mayweather retirement situation except that Mayweather 'came-back" when the threats were diminished. He was also very much bulked up with previously unseen muscles......
            I think it's a fair assessment, but I disagree. I don't think either Floyd nor Marciano were afraid of any potential opponent. But I do think Marciano felt that he couldn't go on for much longer and he got out of there. Totally different case with Floyd. As I previously stated, I think Floyd lost his love, and the emergence of talent at 147 sparked his interest. I don't think Floyd had intentions on fighting all of the fighters who were making noise in that division, simply because he didn't feel he had to. I agree, I think the only fighters at the weight that deserved the fight were Mosley, Cotto and Manny. Cotto himself explained that he wasn't ready for Floyd. The Mosley fight happened after arguably his best win at 147. And both Manny and Floyd made that fight impossible. So as far as saying he retired to escape the competition, I think it's weak, seeing as no one was making noise at 147 until 2008, and he was gone by that time. Margs was fighting nobodies, Paul was going back and forth with fighters like Quintana, Cotto and Mosley fought a close fight and Manny had that circus act of a "fight" with Oscar, I wouldn't have stuck around either. And as far as the "unseen muscles", good luck with that.

Comment

Amazing that Mayweather, Marquez and Pacquiao still at the top in 2013 from 1998.
              And Mayweather finally taking on a in demand fight with Canelo

Comment

Rivalry those 3 have ?!!!!!!! O.o

Hahahahahahaha

You are Mayweather fan , aren't you ?

Hahahahaha

Comment

Working...
                X