No announcement yet.

Roach recently on Golovkin: "He has the best footwork in boxing"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
    loma's footwork is amazing, but golovkins has more purpose, you dont need to move not nearly as half as much as lomachenko to have similar success
    True. In fact boxers often change their style when they are becoming pro's, they are made to embrace a more "professional" style that limits their movements and helps them not to tire themselves with movements without the purpose. This is especially concerning european boxers who go to the US to make a career, a few times I heard their stories how the first thing US coaches told them is "why do you move so much?"

Comment

It is one of the main reasons I am such a big fan of GGG. MUCH MUCH MUCH more of a reason than his power. He cuts off the ring superbly, he shifts his weight expertly, he almost NEVER wastes punches and every punch he throws has force and impact because of his footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        yes roach is an idiot. it's floyd "i can't keep slowass maidana off me" mayweather who has the best footwork. clearly.
        LOL, well it is not really that cut and dry because different fighters are trying to accomplish different things with their footwork. How do you really say which one is better, or do you go for a versatile guy that can do a bit of both to varying degrees.

Aggressive guys- Cotto (not off the back foot though), Golovkin (same as Cotto), Kovalev

Outside guys- Lomachenko, Rigondeaux, Wlad

Hybrid- Floyd, B-Hop, Ward

And there are plenty of other examples in each category if you want to actually discuss boxing with me, if you want to just talk **** to me more well we both know who actually knows more about boxing between us.

Comment

He has very good footwork..but i think Rigo has the best

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            Yeah, Salido just punched him in the nuts

Look, let's be clear, to fight a multiple world champion, a gnarly veteran who came in at 147lbs after missing weight and still be very competitive in just his second pro fight is nothing short of astounding and a lot of the ability to do what he does comes from his movement and footwork which is outstanding.

The first former champion Golovkin fought came in his 21st fight v Ouma and he went life and death with the guy who himself was stepping up in weight.

The notion that Golovkin could have won a world title in his first fight I think stems from watching Golovkin today as opposed to back then. Personally, I don't think he would have beaten the MW champions from back then so early in his career.

As to "Golovkin's exceptional footwork", you know he can't fight off the backfoot? I like him, he comes forward, he's exciting and going forward I agree his footwork is outstanding but it's also very one dimensional. When he's been backed up, he has looked lost and has taken multiple flush punches.
            Well, yeah, Salido did fight dirty, but that doesn't take away from the fact he was able to land and rough up Loma, something someone with amazing footwork should never be in range for, which he was. Salido is rough, rugged and experienced, but exhibits no special qualities, especially in footwork or speed.

Look, I'm not saying his footwork isn't amazing, because it is. I'm saying his footwork is amazing, but wasteful too; it still has amateur elements in it, where as Golovkin has adapted his footwork to suit his style perfectly to the professional game. He does not waste movement, and that's very difficult to do I'd say, in comparison to a featherweight, who has gallons of energy as most do, bouncing around and looking light on his feet. Try and do that when you weigh 40 pounds more and it's a bit different IMO.

We all know the circumstances surrounding the Ouma fight, so it's not really relevant to bring up. He pulled away in the later rounds and knocked the guy out, and that's that.

Furthermore I've watched all of Golovkins previous fights, and I'd comfortably say he'd win a world title early on like Loma if given the opportunity. Abel has helped shape Golovkin, but make no mistake he was still a beast early on and a lot of his ability he had before he was even with Abel.

I don't agree that he can't fight off the backfoot, because he's shown it in fights he can as someones mentioned previously. I just believe he knows his strengths and he's always better on the front foot and he understands that. Why not play to your strengths?

Comment

For some reason his footwork does work. When he fights it looks as though he is taking a leisurely walk, while his opponents look frantic trying to get away in full speed reverse.

Comment

Roach knows wats up.

Comment

Rigondeaux is the obvious real answer to the question of who holds the best footwork; with Lara, Lomo, Mayweather, and Pacquiao following.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    yes roach is an idiot. it's floyd "i can't keep slowass maidana off me" mayweather who has the best footwork. clearly.

Comment

Golovkin's footwork is like Waltz. He slides so smoothly and beautifully.

Comment

Working...
                      X