No announcement yet.

1947 Jersey Joe Walcott vs 1979 Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 Jersey Joe Walcott vs 1979 Larry Holmes

The Walcott who was arguable robbed against Louis vs the Holmes that decisioned Ken Norton? How does this ATG match up proceed?

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
    The Walcott who was arguable robbed against Louis vs the Holmes that decisioned Ken Norton? How does this ATG match up proceed?
    I still believe Holmes would jab his way to victory, outboxing him for a decision win.

Comment

Walcott would be Holmes's greatest win and it would probably be a pretty tough scrap. Most likely outcome is Holmes winning a close/split decision.

Comment

--- Lar always fell short against skilled boxer/puncher types like Spoon, Williams, and Mike Spinks.

He was down on the cards for Cooney until he fatigued in late rds Cooney never experienced before. For sure Lar could never whoop Ez in his prime, so Walcott tricky footwork and punches would flummox him into knots.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          --- Lar always fell short against skilled boxer/puncher types like Spoon, Williams, and Mike Spinks.

He was down on the cards for Cooney until he fatigued in late rds Cooney never experienced before. For sure Lar could never whoop Ez in his prime, so Walcott tricky footwork and punches would flummox him into knots.
          Holmes was down on the cards against Cooney? Did you see the fight? Holmes was the better fighter from beginning to end. That a robbery could have occurred is irrelevant if you actually watch the fight. Not to mention this was talked about at the time. Boxrec is not a reliable source to go on to judge a fight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.8bf429241998

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1982/06/1...-decision.html

Comment

Skill for skill there isn't much in it at all. Easily two of my favourite heavyweights. I do favour Larry slightly due to his greater reach and natural size advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Holmes was down on the cards against Cooney? Did you see the fight? Holmes was the better fighter from beginning to end. That a robbery could have occurred is irrelevant if you actually watch the fight. Not to mention this was talked about at the time. Boxrec is not a reliable source to go on to judge a fight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.8bf429241998

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1982/06/1...-decision.html
              Agreed, I though Holmes was up and winning the whole way.

Comment

--- Naw, lar scored the early flash KD, but from then on it was all Cooney, and yeah, suggest you watch the fight. I score most every fight I watch, and I find half the time I have a major disagreement with the grazing herds of mainstream reporters too scared to upset their gravy train.

Boxing has the worst scoring of all pro sports. It's not transparent, judges and refs corrupt, padded useless points make final tabulations read like a basketball game that don't reflect they actually score mostly by a single one point deduction every rd.

Boxrec only records what the commish sends them, so when I checked, I was pleasantly surprised I was a close match in this case.

The repeated low blows were Cooney losing form in his fatigue to where he was so defenseless the ref wisely stopped. The racism drummed up by the press against him was a promotional stunt by King worthy of Jack London whipping up America in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Naw, lar scored the early flash KD, but from then on it was all Cooney, and yeah, suggest you watch the fight. I score most every fight I watch, and I find half the time I have a major disagreement with the grazing herds of mainstream reporters too scared to upset their gravy train.

Boxing has the worst scoring of all pro sports. It's not transparent, judges and refs corrupt, padded useless points make final tabulations read like a basketball game that don't reflect they actually score mostly by a single one point deduction every rd.

Boxrec only records what the commish sends them, so when I checked, I was pleasantly surprised I was a close match in this case.

The repeated low blows were Cooney losing form in his fatigue to where he was so defenseless the ref wisely stopped. The racism drummed up by the press against him was a promotional stunt by King worthy of Jack London whipping up America in the day.
                  You do realize Holmes either blocked, parried or slipped most of Cooney's punches, right? He also dictated the pace and won the battle of ring generalship. I can't see how you think it was Cooney all the way after the flash knockdown. If memory serves, Holmes almost had him out of there in the 6th or 7th round. Your account of this fight is very skewered and off base.

Comment

--- Than post the utube clip and we'll update our scoring for a round by rd debate.

Then we can do the cherry where Lar runs away against the 4 rd fighter 330 lb Butterbean for 10 rds that sees Lar knocked down and running away from the refs count he was so humiliated.

Lar my favorite fighter!

Comment

Working...
                    X