Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which middleweights would you pick to beat 1951 Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of the middleweights who were active in 51, i believe the Aussie 'dark horse' Dave Sands may have been a worthy candidate..

To the best of my knowledge a match had been agreed for the summer of 52, but Sands was killed in a truck crash just prior to the event taking place..

As for a fantasy match, i'd go with Monzon to wear him down slowly and win an ugly dc.

Comment

I would pick Greb over SRR in a heartbeat. This is 160. I am a strong believer in weight classes.

I would also favor Monzon and Hagler (both cuter and more aggressive version) to win a good majority of a series against Robinson. 7-8 out of 10.

I will get some **** for the folowing, but I don't care. I suspect that good versions of Toney (say his "i actually care" fights from 91-92), Hopkins (99-01, echols to tito or so) and Jones (harder to find the right pick cos Jones stayed for a really short time at 160) probably right before moving up) get to win the majority of a series against SRR. Bear in mind that these modern MW are larger than those Ray was fighting, due to the weigh in rules...

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        I would pick Greb over SRR in a heartbeat. This is 160. I am a strong believer in weight classes.

I would also favor Monzon and Hagler (both cuter and more aggressive version) to win a good majority of a series against Robinson. 7-8 out of 10.

I will get some **** for the folowing, but I don't care. I suspect that good versions of Toney (say his "i actually care" fights from 91-92), Hopkins (99-01, echols to tito or so) and Jones (harder to find the right pick cos Jones stayed for a really short time at 160) probably right before moving up) get to win the majority of a series against SRR. Bear in mind that these modern MW are larger than those Ray was fighting, due to the weigh in rules...
        How can you pick Greb? I don't understand why people even do this. There's no footage.

Comment

I just can't see monzon being ray tbh...

Comment

Originally posted by ~Big Smoke~ View Post
            I just can't see monzon being ray tbh...
            I think Monzon is very deceptive. Sometimes he doesn't look that great(especially on the speed front.) but, ATG's like Griffith get beaten by him.

Comment

robinson

roy jones would destroy robinson within 7 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by briggle View Post
                roy jones would destroy robinson within 7 rounds
                Care to elaborate at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  How can you pick Greb? I don't understand why people even do this. There's no footage.
                  The same way I sometimes pick a fighter of which I have seen only crappy BW videos over a fighter from the 2000s whom I have seen in HD

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                    The same way I sometimes pick a fighter of which I have seen only crappy BW videos over a fighter from the 2000s whom I have seen in HD
                    Black and White footage is completely different from zero footage.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      Black and White footage is completely different from zero footage.
                      If he was good enough to beat Tunney he's good enough to beat Robinson IMO

Comment

Working...
                      X