Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The UFC will get into promoting Boxing soon -- Call me crazy but...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UFC will get into promoting Boxing soon -- Call me crazy but...

Call me crazy, but I'm getting the sense that the UFC is going to get into Boxing.

There is no "brand" in the sport of Boxing.

When you say Football, you think The NFL
    When you say Basketball, you think The NBA
    When you say MMA, you think The UFC
    When you say Boxing, ......?

The sport is there for the taking. It'd be an aggressive step, and take a huge commitment, and I think WME-IMG will be making a play to try to takeover Boxing.

WME-IMG made a huge investment in this thing (the UFC) and I think they see potential in Boxing. To establish themselves in the sport of Boxing in the "UFC" style.
    • Listen to Richard Schaefer speak about the idea behind starting the World Boxing Super Series
    • Listen to Dana White maybe hinting at something (I'm reaching here, admittedly, but still)
    • Think of the level of commitment/that kind of investment, and the potential in adding another sport
    • Think of TV distribution rights that the UFC has already established, and the potential multi-platforms

Yes. And Boxing needs it
    50.00%
    Yes. Sounds like they'll try, but they'll fail
    11.76%
    No. This is pure speculation, won't happen
    38.24%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by USMCer; 07-11-2017, 06:20 PM.

Richard Schaefer talking why he formed this World Boxing Super Series

- "I've promoted many of Floyd Mayweather fights, Oscar De La Hoya's, and so many others. But I have to tell you this beats them all. This has the opportunity to become the brand in the sport of Boxing. A kind of tournament where fighters really wants to participate in because it elevates their exposure, it will elevate their career"
    - @ 5:47:50 on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65xNgRFe_U

Matthew Hooper
    - "The idea started when the founders looked at what was missing in a sport that attracted huge audiences and multi-million dollar one-off fight nights. The answer was simple, 'No organized professional tournament'. Futbol has the hugely successful Champions League in Europe, Tennis has the Grand Slams, Golf has the Majors, Motor Racing has Forumal-1, Cycling has the Tour de France. We will bring together the best Boxers, the biggest arenas, and $50,000,000 will be the greatest annual prize in Boxing..."

Dana White @1:00
    - "Let me tell you what... to say this, after all the things that happened over the last 5 years, wait till you see what we're working on next. Obviously we're here in the [new UFC Performance Institute facilities, we built the new facilities for the employees]... wait to ya see what we're working on next. Next year we're gonna blow everybody away again..."

Dana White
    @2:10 - "I'm back on the ball and doing my thing. I love it. I'm not going anywhere, and we're actually working on some crazy shht right now, and I'm looking forward to it. We'll blow eveybody's minds again next year... [Any hints]... We continue to take this sport to the next level... and now that we have all of our people in one spot and collaboration is a lot better... but aside from that, we're looking at how we take... combat sports to the next level"​

Last edited by USMCer; 07-11-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Idk about all that. I do think they will show boxing on Fight Pass eventually like they show other combat sports on Fight Pass, but there are too many issues with how the UFC operates & the Muhammad Ali act that would present problems for them so its not happening. They got enough problems with MMA & the Muhammad Ali act coming into MMA which could greatly alter how they do business if that gets passed.

I think likely they will be making some interesting moves with their new TV deal which is up next year. I think they could be exiting or altering their presence in the PPV market & going to HBO or going harder with Fox or another network to have monthly shows instead of just 4 per year. And I'm sure they got all kinds of other sh^t planned beyond that, but the TV deal being up next year is gonna be the thing that most impacts the UFC & their direction in the coming years.

Comment

TV distribution platforms/rights....

What drove UFC’s $4 billion deal - WME-IMG anticipates quadrupling next media rights contract, leading to expected IPO in the near future

By Michael Smith & John Ourand, Staff Writers
        Published July 18, 2016

Unlocking the value of WME-IMG’s $4 billion acquisition of the UFC will hinge largely on the next round of media rights negotiations, where the UFC projects revenue to grow by nearly four times.

Based on numbers the UFC supplied to potential buyers during its sale process, it says that media rights revenue could grow from its current average of $115 million per year from Fox Sports to an average annual payout of more than $400 million beginning in 2019...

WME-IMG, which will serve as the UFC’s majority owner and operator, will have substantial insight into what the media rights are worth. The agency, through WME-IMG co-CEO Ari Emanuel’s longtime friendship with UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, has negotiated all of the UFC’s TV deals in the United States, first with Spike in 2005 and more recently with Fox in 2011.
        - http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...odies/UFC.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Idk about all that. I do think they will show boxing on Fight Pass eventually like they show other combat sports on Fight Pass, but there are too many issues with how the UFC operates & the Muhammad Ali act that would present problems for them so its not happening. They got enough problems with MMA & the Muhammad Ali act coming into MMA which could greatly alter how they do business if that gets passed.

I think likely they will be making some interesting moves with their new TV deal which is up next year. I think they could be exiting or altering their presence in the PPV market & going to HBO or going harder with Fox or another network to have monthly shows instead of just 4 per year. And I'm sure they got all kinds of other sh^t planned beyond that, but the TV deal being up next year is gonna be the thing that most impacts the UFC & their direction in the coming years.
          The head of FOX Sports basically put UFC and PBC on the same level in his press release for the MayMac Fox coverage. I think FOX is looking to become the go-to for combat sports and maybe there's some opportunities for PBC/UFC synergies in the future, sort of like K1-Pride used to do back in the day. Maybe some joint events, whatever.

I don't think UFC will ever get into boxing, but they and PBC could cooperate at some level in the future..

Comment

didn't white sell the UFC for like 4 billion dollars? what happened with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
              didn't white sell the UFC for like 4 billion dollars? what happened with that?
              The commitment is there. That's what I'm saying.

Boxing just MIGHT be another area where they could look to expand into, since they have this 'machine' running like this in just the sport of MMA.

Last edited by USMCer; 07-10-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
                The head of FOX Sports basically put UFC and PBC on the same level in his press release for the MayMac Fox coverage. I think FOX is looking to become the go-to for combat sports and maybe there's some opportunities for PBC/UFC synergies in the future, sort of like K1-Pride used to do back in the day. Maybe some joint events, whatever.

I don't think UFC will ever get into boxing, but they and PBC could cooperate at some level in the future..
                How could the UFC & PBC cooperate in theory in the future exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
                  TV distribution platforms/rights....

What drove UFC’s $4 billion deal - WME-IMG anticipates quadrupling next media rights contract, leading to expected IPO in the near future

By Michael Smith & John Ourand, Staff Writers
                  Published July 18, 2016

Unlocking the value of WME-IMG’s $4 billion acquisition of the UFC will hinge largely on the next round of media rights negotiations, where the UFC projects revenue to grow by nearly four times.

Based on numbers the UFC supplied to potential buyers during its sale process, it says that media rights revenue could grow from its current average of $115 million per year from Fox Sports to an average annual payout of more than $400 million beginning in 2019...

WME-IMG, which will serve as the UFC’s majority owner and operator, will have substantial insight into what the media rights are worth. The agency, through WME-IMG co-CEO Ari Emanuel’s longtime friendship with UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, has negotiated all of the UFC’s TV deals in the United States, first with Spike in 2005 and more recently with Fox in 2011.
                  - http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...odies/UFC.aspx
                  That was before 2016, where they have been getting slaughtered all year long. Weak ratings, terrible PPV numbers. FOX might be looking to hedge their bets on the UFC at this point by making the PBC stronger in their portfolio and UFC may have to begrudgingly go along.

I'm not sure how long the UFC is for this world if things don't change. People go on and on here about the $500mm PBC has cost, UFC is on the hook for NINE TIMES that amount, almost entirely financed via debt. This is a company fighting for PBC-like ratings on Fox at the moment. Not good..

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    How could the UFC & PBC cooperate in theory in the future exactly?
                    Not sure exactly how it would work, I am not as familiar on the Ali act as I should be..

Comment

Working...
                    X