No announcement yet.

when it comes to pure defensive ability

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    The funny thing was that when Whitaker was active, fans (and other fighters) called him "boring" and a "runner" smh.
    Which is stupid because Whitaker stood in the pocket and fought despite being much smaller and carrying less power than every single guy he's been in the ring with.

Comment

• lol at some of the Fl0mo logic in this thread: If you don't say Floyd is the best at something then you're a "hater" :hahahaha9:

Comment

• Voted for Mayweather but meant to vote for Whitaker. My bad.

Whitaker can stand right in front of you and not get hit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
          Floyd, he's taken less punishment than just about any fighter. Pernell was shot by the time he was 36.
          That wasn't from taking punishment, that's all down to cocaine!!

Comment

• Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
            That wasn't from taking punishment, that's all down to cocaine!!
            I don't know anything about his cocaine use and the effects it potentially had on his career, I'm talking about what's provable. But I think this poll is actually kind of moronic because Whitaker's style was defensive and I can remember how he was derided by the rock-em-sock-em fans back in the day for "running." I find it interesting now that he would top Mayweather in a poll, on a site that prefers fighters brutalize each other. I bet some of the guys that voted in the poll know jack **** about Whitaker, they just want another opportunity to vote against Mayweather for something, idiots.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
              I don't know anything about his cocaine use and the effects it potentially had on his career, I'm talking about what's provable. But I think this poll is actually kind of moronic because Whitaker's style was defensive and I can remember how he was derided by the rock-em-sock-em fans back in the day for "running." I find it interesting now that he would top Mayweather in a poll, on a site that prefers fighters brutalize each other. I bet some of the guys that voted in the poll know jack **** about Whitaker, they just want another opportunity to vote against Mayweather for something, idiots.....
              What do you mean that is provable? True Whitaker wasn't the same fighter at that age, but even in old age he never took punishment, look back on his final fights and you see... That's provable thanks to a thing called youtube!

Secondly, whatever you may think of the thread, your argument is the moronic one as both Whitaker and Mayweathers styles are defensive, it being their best assets, so it's fair to compare them on the spect of the sport they both exceed in!

And the part about Sweet Pea not getting credit back in the day seem like you're trying to change the subject, as it's got nothing to do with the thread! Mayweather has enjoyed similar criticism from guys saying he's running (As recently as the Guerrero fight) as has Rigondeaux.. It's a part of any sport, people will hate! You shouldn't care if ignorant guys think that way, the same guys say that Martinez is more skilled than Cotto, or that Kovalev is nothing but a slugger! So what let them hate..

As for the OT, IMO Whitaker is a better defensive boxer, but Mayweather is more complete!

Comment

• Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
                Let's put it this way. Past prime, coked out Pernell was making Oscar miss in the center of the ring, and clowning him.

Floyd was relegated to the ropes, and getting hit constantly to the body.

2 different levels of defense, imo.

He wasn't past prime like people make him out to be. He was still one of the best Pound for Pound boxers in the planet and in his division. Oscar ALSO had less than 25 fights to his name at the pro level. Clowning him is what cost Whitaker the fight against Oscar. His cocaine problems if I remember correctly, came AFTER the Oscar fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
                  What do you mean that is provable? True Whitaker wasn't the same fighter at that age, but even in old age he never took punishment, look back on his final fights and you see... That's provable thanks to a thing called youtube!
                  Whitaker never took punishment over his career, as Mayweather hasn't, but he has taken more punches. Maybe that's a purists distinction but it is a real distinction.

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
                  Secondly, whatever you may think of the thread, your argument is the moronic one as both Whitaker and Mayweathers styles are defensive, it being their best assets, so it's fair to compare them on the spect of the sport they both exceed in!
                  Of course its fair, and again I say mayweather's defense it better, as well his overall skill dummy.

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
                  And the part about Sweet Pea not getting credit back in the day seem like you're trying to change the subject, as it's got nothing to do with the thread! Mayweather has enjoyed similar criticism from guys saying he's running (As recently as the Guerrero fight) as has Rigondeaux.. It's a part of any sport, people will hate! You shouldn't care if ignorant guys think that way, the same guys say that Martinez is more skilled than Cotto, or that Kovalev is nothing but a slugger! So what let them hate..

As for the OT, IMO Whitaker is a better defensive boxer, but Mayweather is more complete!
                  I don't but whenever I get to point out stupidity or hypocrisy I will, and I think there's a lot surrounding Pernell because some of the folks praising him now are some of the same idiots that want Mayweather to stand toe-to-toe so they can have the moronic satisfaction of seeing him hurt or stopped.

Again my contention is that Mayweather is a more complete fighter, and a better defensive one, and I base that on number of punches landed against him by opponents.

Comment

Working...
                  X