No announcement yet.

God, No God, Morals, and Evolution

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
    It's just been something that's been on my mind lately. I've been having a heated debate with a devout atheist; and some of the questions he asked really dug in and made me realize my own questions. I held my own with him, to my way of thinking; but what is a man if he doesn't put not only his own beliefs but the beliefs of others under the microscope?

I can readily see how other animals have evolved and to what end, yet, human evolution really doesn't make sense to me. In our society, our emotions get in the way of cold hard logic and the way things seem like they ought to be if everything were geared soley towards the growth and affluence of the species. We have evolved into self-destructive behavior, which can be seen in our disagreements with religious beliefs and philosophies, of course. We don't put the strongest in charge in all cases; and we don't abandon the weak, or the dumb....where in the animal kingdom, inthose are the ones who die, thus ensuring the best DNA moves forward. In our society, our worst traits keep gettin bred into future generations, which has to be seen as detrimental for our species in the long-run. It appears we are sowing the seeds of our own destruction by evolutionary standards.

According to general evolutionary theory, the most desired traits are bred again and again until it is incorporated into virtually all of the offspring.

Where are we heading? What desired trait are we trying to spread? You know as well as I do that the geeky kids aren't the ones getting laid in school...it's the jocks, who are all too often dumb as a damn rock. Intelligence is supposedly what we are trying to pass on....

You see what I mean?

in todays society we have all sorts of influences such as music, televison,movies and religion

we aren't just an animal in the wilderness waiting for evolution to takes it's course

i think we have evolved so much that our future and destiny is in our own hands

such as genetic manipulation in the future mankind could play god and create life and speed up evolution

Comment

Originally posted by OASIS_LAD View Post
      in todays society we have all sorts of influences such as music, televison,movies and religion

we aren't just an animal in the wilderness waiting for evolution to takes it's course

i think we have evolved so much that our future and destiny is in our own hands

such as genetic manipulation in the future mankind could play god and create life and speed up evolution
      True on the influence thought...no argument.

I don't know, seriously. It's just a road block I can't get past.

Those who are desired are those with influence and power, superficial things in the end. Women who have no child bearing ability are mated, and likewise men are to so that genes are NOT passed along. Why? Love??

What is love? It just seems contradictory to me.

I know what I believe; but taking the "god-factor" and the supernatural element out of the equation leaves me with huge gaps. And, by "god-factor", I don't mean fear of the afterlife as much as I believe the divine being in each and every one of us, making us "special" from all the other animals on this planet. Without that drop of eternity, I can find no reason for us behaving and "evolving" the way we are, for it seems we are a species at odds with ourselves.....and maybe that's just our highly evolved brains; but Dolphins are highly evolved, yet seem to have no problem living in harmony with their environment.

Are Dolphins as evolved as humans? Who's to say they're not? We can't even decipher their "language" yet.

Sorry 'bout the rambling....I'm really trying to figure this out.

Comment

Those who are desired are those with influence and power, superficial things in the end. Women who have no child bearing ability are mated, and likewise men are to so that genes are NOT passed along. Why? Love??

HTML Code:
        What is love?
        It just seems contradictory to me.

I know what I believe; but taking the "god-factor" and the supernatural element out of the equation leaves me with huge gaps. And, by "god-factor", I don't mean fear of the afterlife as much as I believe the divine being in each and every one of us, making us "special" from all the other animals on this planet. Without that drop of eternity, I can find no reason for us behaving and "evolving" the way we are, for it seems we are a species at odds with ourselves.....and maybe that's just our highly evolved brains; but Dolphins are highly evolved, yet seem to have no problem living in harmony with their environment.

Are Dolphins as evolved as humans? Who's to say they're not? We can't even decipher their "language" yet.

Sorry 'bout the rambling....
        HTML Code:
        I'm really trying to figure this out.
        i have always thought that love as a word is overused but never overated

mankind has been trying to figure it out for centuries
        so it may take you a while

Comment

i have always thought that love as a word is overused but never overated

mankind has been trying to figure it out for centuries
          so it may take you a while

Oh, good grief! I know what love is.....I mean in the context of why have it in the broad sense that we use it.

To me, Love comes from God; but I'm trying to approach this topic from a "godless" standpoint.

No offense to any atheists on here. I'm not saying athiests aren't moral. Christians have their own chain of immorality, so practicing religion has nothing to do with morality, believing in God has nothing to do with morality....though it can teach morals, it can also teach intolerance and prejudice. It really depends upon what you focus on.

My question is how is the way our society has developed following natural evolution?
          Last edited by K-DOGG; 10-14-2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

What is love? It just seems contradictory to me.

Sorry 'bout the rambling....I'm really trying to figure this out.
            Oh, good grief! I know what love is.....I mean in the context of why have it in the broad sense that we use it.

To me, Love comes from God; but I'm trying to approach this topic from a "godless" standpoint.

yeah i got that i was just saying that love is said too much and not meant

such as couples getting married and saying they are deeply in love only to split 1 month later

Comment

yeah i got that i was just saying that love is said too much and not meant

such as couples getting married and saying they are deeply in love only to split 1 month later

People do throw that word around too much, no doubt.

Anyway, I'm about to head; but thanks for giving your input as alway Oasis.

I'm seriously trying to figure out this paradoxal existance from another perspective than my own and am looking for as many diverse inputs as possible so as to aide in my thinking.

Comment

have a look on my thread in the lounge " why do people keep cussing my religion. " Fruit bats will risk there lives to feed other fruit bats who cant feed themselves. great animals.

I once said something like if there was no god, I wouldnt kill anyone or anything. I think I said that because I thought there would be no afterlife, and nothing for them to go onto. And for some reason I thought god would understand if I felt like killing a few people lmao.

So from a godless stance, why have we developed this way? Well I velieve we have a god so maybe without him, we wouldnt have?

Comment

The question is this, I suppose....if there is no God, why be moral? If man does not have a soul nor an eternal essence....why worry about such things as doing unto others as you would have done unto you?

If there's no referee, why fight fair?
                  because it still makes the world a better place, perhaps somewill will see u're display of character and honesty and do likewise...

besides...

the question u should be asking is:

how can there be morality without God?

Comment

My question is how is the way our society has developed following natural evolution?
                    Nice thread Dogg.

Are the most powerful humans (presidents, kings/queens etc), the ones in positions of power, are they the ones that possess the neccesary lack of compassion to get them where they are?
                    Do they follow the 'natural' evolutionary path?

The world is supposedly run by a very small group of people. The ones who pull the strings.

David Icke believes the british royal family are actually lizards. Makes sense.

Maybe the masses are like drone bees. Our emotions that are at odds with evolution may be the strings that they pull in order to control us.
                    "The weak ones are there to justify the strong".

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth View Post
                      because it still makes the world a better place, perhaps somewill will see u're display of character and honesty and do likewise...

besides...

the question u should be asking is:

how can there be morality without God?
                      Good Point, Doc. That's simple and right to the point, so to speak.

I have a tendency to be a bit long-winded at times, as you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X