Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best size of gloves for heavy bag work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best size of gloves for heavy bag work?

In the gym where I train, 95% of all the pros (and there are several of them) use 8 oz gloves for training (focus mitt, heavy bag) and of course heavier 16 oz gloves for sparring. Now I hurt my wrist throwing a hard punch with a relaxed wrist (I was tired) and it's really bothering me. I'm thinking about using a wrist wrap underneath my regular bandages plus switching to maybe 12 oz gloves for heavy bag work.

My question is, would working with heavier gloves put your timing off when you finally switch to 8 oz for a fight? I hear it's actually good (to use big gloves) as it developes endurance and power, but if that is so why doesn't anyone in my gym use them?

I'm also considering buying a pair of Cleto reyes, known for their long cuff (and better wrist protection), but dont wanna fork out 100$ for a pair of 12 oz and then find them to heavy or cumbersome to train with.

Any feedback is appreciated, on both gloves size and how to care for my sprained wrist. Many thanks

i hit the bag with 16 oz gloves. i like em because they're mine. they seem normal to me. sometimes little kids tell me how big my gloves are though

p.s. im a small guy. it really doesnt take a whole lot out of you to use 16oz gloves

about your wrist. it might take a while for the pain to go away but it will eventually. be very careful hitting the bag, wrap around the wrist well, use a horizontal fist and throw very tight hooks and vertical for your uppercuts. thats easier on your wrists

Comment

First off, the heavy gloves are used in sparring to protect the fighters. You should be working technique in sparring and power on the heavy bag. If one isn't doing a lot of sparring, it makes sense to use heavier gloves when hitting the heavy bag in order to work the deltoids and improve speed. But if one is going to spar and also fight either amateur or professional, they will be using 6 or 8 oz. gloves in the ring to try to tag the other guy, the same way you will use lighter gloves on the heavy bag. I use thin work gloves on the heavy bag myself, to simulate a street fight, since I don't fight in the ring anymore. The main thing is not to worry about the size of the gloves. Just worry about training. Lots of fighters in poor countries are excellent fighters, but their equipment is crap. They still improve because of their work ethic.

Comment

i use 16's on the bags. that way when i spar i got the same speed as i did on the bags. and when i do go in competetion i would be alot faster since i dont use the little gloves for workouts

Comment

what's wrong with plain old heavy bag gloves? personally though, i don't always like to use gloves when smacking the bags around. i don't like to "baby" my hands.

you hurt your wrist when throwing a hard punch with a relaxed hand? might wanna recheck how you throw whichever punch you threw to hurt your wrist. a punch with a relaxed wrist, even if you throw some juice behind it, shouldn't buckle or hurt your wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by j
            what's wrong with plain old heavy bag gloves? personally though, i don't always like to use gloves when smacking the bags around. i don't like to "baby" my hands.

you hurt your wrist when throwing a hard punch with a relaxed hand? might wanna recheck how you throw whichever punch you threw to hurt your wrist. a punch with a relaxed wrist, even if you throw some juice behind it, shouldn't buckle or hurt your wrist.
            why wouldnt you want to baby your hands?

Comment

12 to 16 ounces would be fine. Anything lighter will just not work you the same.

Rockin'

Comment

i hate heavy bag glovs
                they are so uncomfortable

i like to use 14oz gloves or 16oz

Comment

In your picture you are using bag gloves for sparring. I let my kids try those gloves when they first got them, thinking and being told that they were sparring gloves. Before even 30 seconds elapsed in the seesion I pulled then out and had them put real sparring gloves on. Those gloves do not offer the same padding and protection for you opponent. They may be called sparring gloves but they are far from it.

Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
                    In your picture you are using bag gloves for sparring. I let my kids try those gloves when they first got them, thinking and being told that they were sparring gloves. Before even 30 seconds elapsed in the seesion I pulled then out and had them put real sparring gloves on. Those gloves do not offer the same padding and protection for you opponent. They may be called sparring gloves but they are far from it.

Rockin'

i know but i dont hit hard so i wear them cuz of the size

but now i wear whatever gloves my coach lace me up in

im at a differnt gym now differnt coach

Comment

Working...
                    X