Has Canelo's Learning Process and Growth Been Hampered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
    GBP isn't confident in Alvarez imo
    I disagree, they could have easily put him against Cotto to gain money and exposure, but they put him in there with the very best. Somebody believes in him besides his team, GBP wouldn't let their future bread winner fight Floyd unless they thought he could win.

Comment

I have been saying that for the past little while that Canelo should have been more active because his number one priority was to gain more experience, learn, tweak on his skills and fix his issues.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
        I disagree, they could have easily put him against Cotto to gain money and exposure, but they put him in there with the very best. Somebody believes in him besides his team, GBP wouldn't let their future bread winner fight Floyd unless they thought he could win.
        Honestly, what's the worse that could happen by losing to Floyd? What does GBP stand to lose by pitting him against the boxer who sits on the mythical P4P throne? Most of us are expecting him to lose, and his own fan-base probably won't abandon him if he loses. I'm kinda glad that they're getting Floyd/Canelo over with so afterwards, he can move on to fighting other LMWs. Floyd is still a WW, so it's unlikely that Canelo will suffer a beat-down that sets his career back.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          Honestly, what's the worse that could happen by losing to Floyd? What does GBP stand to lose by pitting him against the boxer who sits on the mythical P4P throne? Most of us are expecting him to lose, and his own fan-base probably won't abandon him if he loses. I'm kinda glad that they're getting Floyd/Canelo over with so afterwards, he can move on to fighting other LMWs. Floyd is still a WW, so it's unlikely that Canelo will suffer a beat-down that sets his career back.
          Worst thing that can happen is you wont be able to market him as undefeated..

Undefeated fighters get more hype and star power..

If castillo would have got the dec over floyd in the first fight floyd would not be as big of a star as he has become....

Two things make you super popular-- exciting style like manny or tyson or undefeated record like floyd or marciano

Canelo had the chance to stay active and become floyd type superstar...
          Wont happen now if floyd beats him....
          Wont be the end of the world but canelo will never be undefeated again...

Undefeated throughout his 20's Canelo would be the biggest star in boxing and take floyd's place when floyd retires

Comment

He did say he had earned a rest after beating on lil Lopez..... His schedule had been gruelling after all lol

Seriously he's been developed well, id have preferred he take tougher fights and be busy but here he is a superstar with out taking any massive risks yet and now he is in what is set to be one of the biggest non HW PPV's ever in a fight where he actually has a shot at winning.

I think Mayweather UD's him but losing to Mayweather doesn't kill his star, he just gets bigger and bigger as a commodity

Comment

To me if there is a problem with his development it is all on him, he has been handed a huge opportunity and the kid is clearly very talented.

If he can't make good on those two things it is because he didn't put in the proper work behind the scenes, some guys have that fire to just get better no matter what even if they are studs some guys get caught in the trap of talent though and become reliant on it (the most easy to see is a power puncher falling in love with his power and failing to learn how to properly set up his best punches) and when I watch Canelo I do see some worrying signs like that.

I could be wrong though because he has improved but I would just like to see more and he will need it in this fight. This is the big spot for him though if he is ever going to show the leap I think he is capable of making it will be right here.

Comment

no. in fact, this may be the best thing that happened to him. if he loses, he lost to the best boxer on the planet and one of the best ever. if he wins, he beats the best boxer on the planet, of his time and the most skilled boxer ever at the tender age of 22.

the education he's going to receive in a win or a loss will be good for him. it will either humble him enough that he'll work even harder to be better then he already is if he loses, or it's going to raise his confidence higher then it already is if he wins.

a martinez fight, a chavez fight or a ggg fight could happen in the near future.

Comment

What will keep a lot of the next generation of fighters from being GREAT is that Lack of Experience they are missing out on by going Pro at 18-19 years old and not having a long NOTEWORTHY Amateur and Olympic Career like many of the Greats! Fighting 30-40 plus BUMS who just show up to lose and don't even try to win, you don't get better like that, you get better by fighting against THE BEST!

Look at Andre Ward Development and look how dominating he is as a PRO...that is because of the experience he received during his Amateur Career and during his Olympic Run

Canelo should have been thrown in with the best of the best at 154 instead of being overly protected and fighting guys like Josesito Lopez and even when he does steps up and face a top fighter at 154 look how protected he was even in that fight with Open Score Cards and Judges who had him winning the fight before the fight even started.

I think that lack of experience will show big time against a Highly Skilled And Smart Fighter Like Mayweather
                  Last edited by sicko; 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Worst thing that can happen is you wont be able to market him as undefeated..

Undefeated fighters get more hype and star power..

If castillo would have got the dec over floyd in the first fight floyd would not be as big of a star as he has become....

Two things make you super popular-- exciting style like manny or tyson or undefeated record like floyd or marciano

Canelo had the chance to stay active and become floyd type superstar...
                    Wont happen now if floyd beats him....
                    Wont be the end of the world but canelo will never be undefeated again...

Undefeated throughout his 20's Canelo would be the biggest star in boxing and take floyd's place when floyd retires
                    But what's the value of an undefeated record if you're fighting nobodies and over-matched opposition? I understand that Canelo was learning on the job, but it would've been better that he earned his undefeated record by fighting good LMWs consistently.

GBP got Canelo the golden ticket, good for them. They are gonna use Floyd to make Canelo a household name, and the best thing: he doesn't even need to win.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                      But what's the value of an undefeated record if you're fighting nobodies and over-matched opposition? I understand that Canelo was learning on the job, but it would've been better that he earned his undefeated record by fighting good LMWs consistently.

GBP got Canelo the golden ticket, good for them. They are gonna use Floyd to make Canelo a household name, and the best thing: he doesn't even need to win.
                      I understand your point but Canelo could be fighting cotto now, then kirkland, angalo etc then fight floyd when floyd is old, same with serg,

Loss to floyd will only make canelo better but in terms of $$$$ a loss will prevent him for getting manny/floyd/oscar/tyson money
                      He will be 44-1 and getting paid 5-8 million or be undefeated at 25 and earning 20 mil a fight

Boxing perspective you are right, from a financial point of view, he is costing himself tens of millions of dollars down the road

Comment

Working...
                      X