Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore also.

Obviously can't rule those 2 out. The two greatest LHW's of all time.

Comment

roy jones is one of the most dominant forces the sport has seen

at his peak he was hard to lay a glove on, and he had speed and explosive power beyond compare

certainly one of the top 100 boxers of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        roy jones is one of the most dominant forces the sport has seen

at his peak he was hard to lay a glove on, and he had speed and explosive power beyond compare

certainly one of the top 100 boxers of all time.
        I'd say Top 50.

His accomplishments are superb and even though I tend not to H2H ability does slip into my rating of Roy Jones as he was that damn good.

I sometimes think to myself could this guy beat Hagler? Then I remember, no no-one can beat Hagler. Roy Jones is the only time I'd ever contemplated it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Harold Johnson brutal straight right hand KO obviously...

In all seriousness though, it's a hard one. Roy was very athletic and strong for a LHW but Johnson was a superb boxer puncher with excellent timing and very effective pressure and built like a brick ****house. However I just think Roy's defence and speed would render him hard to catch, even for Johnson, although Johnson could and would tag him I still think Jones takes a close decision.
          I think it would be a good fight but I lean on Roy as well.

Johnson is very strong too. Very strong.

Inside he was vey rarely bullied and pushed around. Even at Heavyweight.

At LHW he was very very stong.

He's obviously got a great jab and great skills. Good defence, IQ and speed. Good-great in every area pretty much

Roy has a huge advantage in power though. And he's much faster.

He's also got faster feet and reflexes.

Yeah, I'd lean on Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            I'd say Top 50.

His accomplishments are superb and even though I tend not to H2H ability does slip into my rating of Roy Jones as he was that damn good.

I sometimes think to myself could this guy beat Hagler? Then I remember, no no-one can beat Hagler. Roy Jones is the only time I'd ever contemplated it though.
            You forgot Monzon.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              You forgot Monzon.
              I played it on Fight Night remember... Expelled all doubt.

Comment

Yeah.

Considering the history of both the MW and LHW Divisions I wouldn't say no one can beat him at the weights.

160 I wouldn't bet on many considering Roy was so strong and powerful at the weight.

But 175 I'd pick a few. Bob Foster and Micheal Spinks would be tough fights.

How about Harold Johnson-Roy Jones? Who would win that?
                Yeah I'd probably pick Spinks and definitely Foster at LH. It's not that he was unbeatable in his prime, but I would say that in his prime he was unbeatable by any other means but Ko. NO ONE in the history of the sport in my personal opinion would have ever outboxed/outpointed prime Roy. An interesting fact about the Bernard Hopkins fight that the announcers bring up as it's going on is that Roy had to actually drain to make weight before the fight; and he was still that dominant.
                Last edited by res; 04-19-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah.

Considering the history of both the MW and LHW Divisions I wouldn't say no one can beat him at the weights.

160 I wouldn't bet on many considering Roy was so strong and powerful at the weight.

But 175 I'd pick a few. Bob Foster and Micheal Spinks would be tough fights.

How about Harold Johnson-Roy Jones? Who would win that?
                  175 has some really tough fights, guys with size, power, and styles that might beat Roy. As great as I believe Roy was at his best, some of those fighters would probably be too much. 160 though, screw it there's no one I'm picking over Roy.

A lot of the kids these days rank Hopkins above Roy Jones

As funny as that sounds.
                  Hopkins beat Jean Pascal!

Being a kid isn't an excuse. I am one of those kids, it's called Google. You can find just about any Roy or Hopkins fight worth watching. Although, you could just take a look at their records and see that Roy beat Hopkins, when they were at similar points in their career, and then find video of the fight just as easy.

Of course, people like to overrate Hopkins in general because of how long he's been fighting now. As if that proves he was better than Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                    Yeah I'd probably pick Spinks and definitely Foster at LH. It's not that he was unbeatable in his prime, but I would say that in his prime he was unbeatable by any other means but Ko. NO ONE in the history of the sport in my personal opinion would have ever outboxed/outpointed prime Roy. An interesting fact about the Bernard Hopkins fight that the announcers bring up as it's going on is that Roy had to actually drain to make weight before the fight; and he was still that dominant.
                    I find it hard to see Roy getting KO'd under 175 as well. I'm not ruling it out but As Reed pointed out he never really showed chin problems pre-Ruiz and he was so damn hard to punch flush.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                      Michael Moorer is a tough fight...
                      Really? I don't know why anyone would think that.

Comment

Working...
                      X