No announcement yet.

Roger "Black Mamba" Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
    It's interesting to read about fighters and who they deem to be the hardest hitters they faced. Sometimes they change their answers depending on the time/place/whatever. I can think of Wayne McCullough noting Erik Morales, when he faced some other big hitters like Hamed and Scott Harrison. James Toney has said both Iran Barkley, "nobody hit me like him (Barkley)" or something to that effect. I've also read that he said Merqui Sosa was the hardest hitter.

You know it's interesting because you'd never think that Pineda would be the guy Mayweather named when speaking on that subject. Chavez, Tszyu, Pendleton, etc...all of those guys could crack.
    Agreed. Often times it's about boxers naming a fighter they beat as the "best they ever fought" or the "hardest hitter" but in this case Pineda did really put his lights out from nowhere.

"The best puncher that I ever fought was – and I fought 27 world champions – the hardest puncher that I can remember was Rafael Pineda. I was beating his ass for eight rounds. He hit me with a left hook. He only hit me one time. Now I’ve been knocked out where I’m still conscious. But I’m saying that’s the hardest muffer that hit me and I felt it. I mean, knockouts don’t ever hurt. But, I mean, when he hit me, it wasn’t like I was struggling to get up. That muffer hit me and I was just gone!”

Pineda did have a solid knockout record with 31 KO's out of 38 wins. He was really rocking Mark Breland above his best weight (from what I remember) until a bizarre ending and stopped Oba Carr later on in his career.

Comment

Roger Mayweather vs Pazienza is my favourite of his fights, Paz is terified of Rogers right-hand

Comment

I never really rated Mayweather that highly, but I had respect for his boxing ability as well as his mental focus when it mattered most. He was a calm killer in the ring when he wanted to be, but as mentioned ; his chin was completely laughable.

He had some very entertaining fights under his belt, with the Whitaker and Chavez ones being my personal faves.

Comment

First and only time I watched him "live" was in August 1993. I remember it well. I just got this channel that showed boxing matches. He was fighting a small white guy, later I found out his name was Carl Griffith. This guy was really small, so I thought Roger must be quite tall. I was very surprised when I found out he's just 5'7. Anyway, he won the fight by a rather comfortable decision, but he did get rocked once seriously. Griffith landed a huge punch and then pounded him against the ropes a few times. So obviously "Black Mamba" didn't have a TERRIBLE CHIN, just weak.

Comment

The thing is, though, did Roger Mayweather duck Hector Camacho, or did Hector Camacho duck Roger Mayweather?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
              The thing is, though, did Roger Mayweather duck Hector Camacho, or did Hector Camacho duck Roger Mayweather?
              "We want (Hector) Camacho or (Julio Cesar) Chavez," said Billy Baxter, Mayweather's manager. "If we get Chavez (who has already beaten Mayweather), they'll need Dodger Stadium to hold it."

"WBC junior welterweight champion Roger Mayweather was offered as an opponent for comebacking former champion Hector Camacho, but Camacho's promoter, Dennis Rappaport, turned down the match based on Camacho's shaky showing against Reyes Cruz last month, when Camacho was decked for the first time in his career. Rappaport is said to prefer WBA champ Juan Coggi of Argentina for Camacho."

Comment

His brother Jeff was less successful as a fighter. DLH smoked him in four rounds. I saw that fight. He is much older than Oscar tho. I never even heard of Jeff until recently. He is the quietest Mayweather obviously.

Comment

Black Mamba was a very fitting name for him, the way he struck with his right hand was like a snake. Shaky chin, an underrated fighter though, very good at his best. He was the best of the Mayweather brothers.

Comment

His fight with Harold Brazier is a good one as well, I would recommend checking it out. One fighter I think he should of gotten a rematch against was Tony Baltazar, I think he got his jaw broke by one of those Baltazar left hooks and that subsequently led to the loss but I think he would of eaten Baltazar alive in the rematch if he stayed away from the left hook, he seemed made to order for Mayweather.

Comment

you should show the one with j.c chavez sr. he knocked him out ... hes a good trainer though not a boxer like lil floyd

Comment

Working...
                      X