No announcement yet.

USA haven't had a male Olympic Gold medalist in boxing since 2004

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    When has Mexico had a strong amateur program?

Mexico is a perfect example of how little you can accomplish in the amateur game, even with a lot of talent, if you don't support a countries amateur boxing program.

Mexico would be doing well in the lower weight divisions & competing every Olympics for medals if they weren't letting anyone post-puberty turn pro.
    I disagree.

The typical Mexican style is just not meant for the amateurs, where body punching is not given enough credit and where there aren't enough rounds to see pressure fighters wear down and break down opponents.

Comment

Because the program is a joke.

When you have someone like Raushee Warren WHO HAS NEVER MADE IT OUT THE FIRST ROUND EVER going every time, that's when you know the **** is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        I disagree.

The typical Mexican style is just not meant for the amateurs, where body punching is not given enough credit and where there aren't enough rounds to see pressure fighters wear down and break down opponents.
        I think that in a way you're kinda agreeing with him that Mexico DOES NOT have a strong amateur program. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
          I think that in a way you're kinda agreeing with him that Mexico DOES NOT have a strong amateur program. Lol
          Well yeah, if you put it that way.

But my point is that you don't need one to turn out world class professional fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            I disagree.

The typical Mexican boxer isn't as pigeon holed as people like to act like he is. Look at a guy like Gilberto Ramirez for example. That guy fights like his raft took a hard southern breeze from Cuba & he was adopted by a Mexican family.

And I mean to a certain degree, in particular with the former punch count scoring system, everyone had to conform to the amateur boxing scoring system.

But I have no reason to doubt Mexican amateur boxers, if they had much of a amateur program, wouldn't be able to conform to it. Its not like Mexicans are incapable of punching higher then the nipples.

Comment

When you have someone like Raushee Warren WHO HAS NEVER MADE IT OUT THE FIRST ROUND EVER going every time, that's when you know the **** is a joke.
              Man that's gotta suck a$$. I legit felt bad for that guy with how little he did on that level despite going so many times.

Also that dude wears like size 4 shoes or something crazy small like that. That's gotta f#ck with your confidence too. Can't be 20 something & buying shoes in the child section & not feel f#cked up about it.

Comment

To be fair, Warren did win a gold at the World Amateur Championships, and two bronzes.

If those had been olympic years, he would have picked up a gold.

World Amateur Championships, and Olympic Gold Medals are kinda 1a and 1b. Both of them require you to win over the top fighters in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  2 things going on a lot of other countries sending all their top fighters to olympics and keeping them for a long time where they are in their mid to late 20's competing in multiple rounds of Olypmics against kids. While Americans, Mexicans, ect are turning pro young as a teenager or early 20's to make money. You lucky if you get 1 Olympics out of them and many if the Olympics doesn't fall in the right year they are not delaying their pro debut a year or 2 for the the Olympics.

But outside that the larger issue is the talent pool in America boxing is shrinking. UFC, other major sports are taking potential fighters away from boxing.
                  exactly...my buddy money powell IV is 19 now but was too young for olympics...birthday was one month too late to compete...he was number one at 152 in the nation and beat the #1 guy at 165 that same year....went to Youth world championships last year

he and coach didnt want to waste another 3-4 years winning the same tournaments and then turn pro at 22-23

whats the point of him fighting for free another 3 years when his amatuer record is 80+ wins only 9 losses ? RingStar picked him up and scouted him at the championships last year

he is 1-0 and fights in june

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    To be fair, Warren did win a gold at the World Amateur Championships, and two bronzes.

If those had been olympic years, he would have picked up a gold.

World Amateur Championships, and Olympic Gold Medals are kinda 1a and 1b. Both of them require you to win over the top fighters in the world.
                    the ones who have the most to say about things, usually know the least lol

he also won a world title too in the pros

Comment

Eastern europeans are taking over and former soviet countries. You have 3 of them in the p4p list. 5 years from now everyone on the p4p list will be from eastern europe or former soviet countries.

Comment

Working...
                      X