Jack Dempsey's Greatest Hits: Part One

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yaman
    I've seen that fight.

Dempsey looked like a little streetfighter but with some punchpower. It wasn't boxing, it was fighting. But then again how else could he get Jess Willard down.
    OK, that's a misconception of Jack Dempsey's fighting techniques. On film against Williard He looks awkward and wild but that is definetly not the case with the majority of the bouts.

I'll ask you this...what fighter hasn't looked like a 'streetfighter' as you would put it, if put in the position that Jack Dempsey was put in?

Comment

Wait, are you guys talking about the Brennan fight? When did it show the Brennan fight last night? I only saw the Willard and Gibbons fights, both of which I've already seen.

To any that don't think Dempsey has technical skill should watch the Gibbons fight. Jack does a great job of catching Gibbons, and shows great footwork. His punches are also devastating.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydog
        To any that don't think Dempsey has technical skill should watch the Gibbons fight. Jack does a great job of catching Gibbons, and shows great footwork. His punches are also devastating.
        Hey Skydog, I have a question in regards to your copy of the Dempsey/Gibbons fight...Is it backwards?

What I mean is, my copy of the fight has both of those fighters fighting as southpaws all throughout it (obviously it's just the video footage, cause both were right handed), and I was just wondering if your copy is the same way?

Kinda makes it difficult to watch.

Comment

Skydog, you can disregard my previous question, as I just dusted off the tape, fast forward it a bit, and noticed that the video shows them fighting as right handers...Must've been only the first few minutes of footage that I have that does that "backwards" ****.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            it only looked bad cause of the quality of the film, dempsey was a calculated puncher with tons of speed and accuracy. in fact it was jack dempsey who mike tyson modeled himself after, and if you watch both of them fight, they look quite alike.
            I know everything about the Dempey and Tyson thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavilan1
              OK, that's a misconception of Jack Dempsey's fighting techniques. On film against Williard He looks awkward and wild but that is definetly not the case with the majority of the bouts.

I'll ask you this...what fighter hasn't looked like a 'streetfighter' as you would put it, if put in the position that Jack Dempsey was put in?
              I didn't insult Jack Dempsey. No way he could've gotten Willard down without power punches. Im just saying it was a brawl and pretty disgusting to see. Referees didn't stop fights that easily those days.

Comment

The Manassa Mauler could box, but had a full out aggressive pattern that appeared awkward, Tyson had the same qualities when he first started with Kevin Rooney in his corner but changed to a no defense, one punch fighter after he left his trainer and Da'mato died.

Comment

Working...
                X