No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto: Man or Mouse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
    You got me ****ed up man, not what I'm saying at all. Of course Cotto is a warrior in the sense that he steps into the ring and risks his life/health every time. I'm actually a huge Cotto fan and you're taking my comments wrong most likely because you're a Cotto nutthugger. What I mean by not having the "fighter's spirit" is that he's not a win-at-all-costs type of fighter like Gatti, Corrales or Margarito who will battle till the end. Doesn't just have to mean a brawler, guys like Mayweather and Marquez are overly competitive and refuse to lose. I don't see anything like that in Cotto, he doesn't have the mental make up of those fighters and would probably quit again. Just listen to the face-off, the guy isn't willing to go all out for the fans or his fighting pride.
    Cotto doesn't have mental make up of a tough fighter? I saw him in the Garden against Clottey with a huge gash that he could had quit when he was ahead.

And HE DID say at the post fight interview that he didn't stop cause he owed the fans that were present a good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMigra View Post
      But I argue that "dying in the ring" for approval is in MANY ways WEAKER. It's the same type of foolishness that causes grown men to act like 18 yr olds and join gangs etc. to PROVE how "down" they are... It takes a certain maturity and COURAGE to NOT leave your family fatherless for the sake of proving ANYTHING out of WEAKNESS. Cotto is a confident person and a TRUE individual. Not all men need to be a part of a crowd or prove to the crowd that they are "down" with the crowd. Especially when that crowd is full of chubby ass, *****es who think they know what it feels like to be in the ring.
      This is the most ridiculous comparison I have yet to read in this subject. So you equated the toughness of a boxer with the foolishness of wanting to join a gang?

Good lord you are a simple minded kid. Kids join gangs for many different reasons, not just wanting to be "down"...lol

Second, it's a cultural thing and a 3rd world thing that you don't get. Marg, Chavez, Gatti, Ward, Marquez have all said they are willing to die in the ring not because they are wanting to be tough, it's because they give everything they are in that ring and are a product of their tough environments.

When you come from a 3rd world country and struggle and are hungry the way a lot of these fighters are, it's do or die in that ring. Chavez talked about how he and Jose Luis Ramirez were literally fighting for money enough to feed their families for that month.

That's why he fought every month, not because he was trying to pad his record but he was trying to eat....

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno View Post
        Cotto was not worried with his health when he took that knee to marg. he took it cuz he couldn't take the punishment... Cotto took more punishment to pacman and he didn't take a knee there.
        Cotto admitted that he ran out of gas against Margo and that he took too much punishment from Pac cause he is the best fighter that he has ever faced

Comment

Margarito is risking his life because he lost all credibility... you see deep down he knows he cheated so he prefers to die than live.

Comment

I wonder what is ICETA's and Mr Fantastic opinion of all of this LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              This is the most ridiculous comparison I have yet to read in this subject. So you equated the toughness of a boxer with the foolishness of wanting to join a gang?

Good lord you are a simple minded kid. Kids join gangs for many different reasons, not just wanting to be "down"...lol

Second, it's a cultural thing and a 3rd world thing that you don't get. Marg, Chavez, Gatti, Ward, Marquez have all said they are willing to die in the ring not because they are wanting to be tough, it's because they give everything they are in that ring and are a product of their tough environments.

When you come from a 3rd world country and struggle and are hungry the way a lot of these fighters are, it's do or die in that ring. Chavez talked about how he and Jose Luis Ramirez were literally fighting for money enough to feed their families for that month.

That's why he fought every month, not because he was trying to pad his record but he was trying to eat....
              Agree with this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno View Post
                Cotto was not worried with his health when he took that knee to marg. he took it cuz he couldn't take the punishment... Cotto took more punishment to pacman and he didn't take a knee there.
                He didn't take a knee against Pacquiao but he literally RAN from the smaller Pacquiao in the last rounds.

Comment

Cotto is a warrior, but the fact is there are different levels of warrior. He isn't willing to die in the ring which means there is some "give" in him. Margarito on the other hand IS willing to die and you can't break him. That being said, it isn't like Cotto is a p*ssy like Zab Judah who got "low blowed" and quit or I think it was Kendall Holt who had a slight cut over his eyebrow, no bleeding and quit after 4 rounds.

Cotto not a warrior... watch him against Judah, Clottey and Torres and tell that. Really, they both have good points like Marg pointed out in Taylor vs Chavez a KO can come at any time. Cotto is also right when he felt there was nothing he could do against Marg to win that fight, and can you blame him? Cotto landed the best shots I've ever seen him land (especially that last left at the end of round 2) and Marg just smiles at him while getting pummeled. No need to take another 3+ minutes if you don't feel you can win. That beings said I prefer my fighters with Marg's train of thought, the corner should be there to protect the fighter IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    He didn't take a knee against Pacquiao but he literally RAN from the smaller Pacquiao in the last rounds.
                    Last rounds... It was the entire second half of the fight. However, I think not having a trainer and probably not over the Margarito fiasco had a lot to do with that. He did the same thing against Clottey, its like once he feels plan A stops working he doesn't tries to run out the clock. He just needs better strategy IMO, this was never an issue with Evangelista in his corner, aside from the Marg fight but we can see why he ran in that one.

Comment

Cotto is a quitter in a boxing sense. Of course cotto the smarter of the two more realistic, He has to think about his family first etc etc, But this is boxing the hurt game how far are you willing to go and if push come to shove and Margarito puts him in the same situation he was before he will quit and cotto would have lost fans, respect of HIS OWN people. When it some dramatic rivalry like MX vs PR and their some bad blood involved people dont want to see their person take a knee and quit just cause it got dangerous. You think after their first fight all the Cotto fans was saying good he took a kneee and quit cause he could have died he has to think of his family NO! they were mad and ass hurt and he lost respect from his fans.

So in boxing terms Cotto a dumbass, He could have easily said "And I am willing to die to" but he knows that everyone knows that's not true cause the whole world saw him quit when **** got rough.

just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                      X