Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts about what to expect from the Haymon PBC franchise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My question is if these shows are going to basically be infomercials? Can an announcer criticize a Haymon fighter? Can an announcer say something like "Gary Russell was brought along against very easy competition which backfired when he faced lomachenko" or "quillin is a solid guy at middleweight but the question is will he ever take on the best in the division, being Golovkin" ?

Comment

posters need to move on from 2014. Everything we've seen so far is that this series is going to be good matchups. He stalled fights last year because of the ODH lawsuit and because he was saving them for this series.

WHy are posters so hypocritical? If HBO took a fighter and gave him 1 tough fight and 2 tuneups in a year or bankrolled a fighter and gave him all easily winnable fight (GGG) posters wouldn't complain.

Comment

I hope it succeeds. I know so many people who want to get into boxing but can never find out where to watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          His plan is:

Put on good fights at the start

Casuals will presume the fights after will be good and tune in but they won't be

Then rinse repeat
          What a hateful little Hobbit you are.

You're an unpaid Arum shill just like your exploited hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
            i don't like haymon but I guess you gotta get behind him in this and hope that it works. boxing is bigger than disliking a particular guy.
            How do you not like somebody you don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              posters need to move on from 2014. Everything we've seen so far is that this series is going to be good matchups. He stalled fights last year because of the ODH lawsuit and because he was saving them for this series.

WHy are posters so hypocritical? If HBO took a fighter and gave him 1 tough fight and 2 tuneups in a year or bankrolled a fighter and gave him all easily winnable fight (GGG) posters wouldn't complain.
              Hypocrisy is their bread.

That's why they are so small.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

I preemptively addressed everything you just said in the OP and explained why it's not just about 2014. That's the whole F'ing point of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Pepper View Post
                  How do you not like somebody you don't know?
                  You ever voted in a national election & feel that a candidate doesn't share your values or care about you or the things you care about?

As a boxing fan I value inter-promoter cooperation to make big fights. Haymon doesn't care about that. Ergo ...

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                    I preemptively addressed everything you just said in the OP and explained why it's not just about 2014. That's the whole F'ing point of the thread.
                    You are essentially complaining about nothing. Haymon is going to build his boxers the same way boxers have been built for years. WHy would you have a problem now?

HBO is building GGG into a star by feeding him a string of named fighters who don't have a chance to beat him until they can make a PPV fight with him as the b side to see if he becomes a star attraction. You don't have a problem with this but will complain if Haymon does this with a one of his fighters.

As PBP posted in another thread Haymon has a plan and is trying to execute it to his advantage. If you are really a boxing fan, you should only care that the fights are good.

Its clear from the language you use is that you want the old establishment to stay in charge. News flash-it's a new day and age. Fighters do not need to pay promoters (up to 25% in some cases) to make them stars if they are signed to a manager who has TV deals and the power to sign off on fights.

Al is making more and putting more in the pockets of the fighters and the promoters are being phased out. Deal with it. If Bob had planned this out and executed it you probably wouldn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                      You ever voted in a national election & feel that a candidate doesn't share your values or care about you or the things you care about?

As a boxing fan I value inter-promoter cooperation to make big fights. Haymon doesn't care about that. Ergo ...
                      Promoters are a dying breed and are being phased out. Why pay a huge percentage of your income when you can use tools like social media to promote your event.

Comment

Working...
                      X