No announcement yet.

was a prime mike tyson predictable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    He also threw his combinations in a pre-set pattern with the sequences being called out in numbers by Kevin Rooney. It isn't too difficult to figure out what the sequences are; doing something about them is the hard part.

Poet
    few examples for the pre set pattern

what do u mean about the 2nd part?

Comment

He also threw his combinations in a pre-set pattern with the sequences being called out in numbers by Kevin Rooney. It isn't too difficult to figure out what the sequences are; doing something about them is the hard part.

Poet
      good post, I completely agree

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
        As always Poet, your analysis of Tyson is on point. He was a great fighter who peaked early, like many fighters with a similar style and lifestyle.
        I really don't have any quarrel when someone has him ranked anywhere from 5 to 12 all-time among Heavyweights based on his ability. To my mind that would be picking nits because a fair case can be made ranking him anywhere in that range. It's when people are ranking him in the top-5 or worse at #1 that I take issue with. At the same time I take serious issue with those who have him barely cracking the top-20: That's as mind-blowingly inane as ranking him the GOAT imo.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by YoungJab View Post
          few examples for the pre set pattern

what do u mean about the 2nd part?
          Rooney had a number for each punch and he would call out a sequence of numbers to Tyson during rounds indicating the combination Mike was to throw. For example: 1-1-4-2-6 might mean double jab, straight right, left hook, right uppercut.

As to the second part, someone calling out number sequences and your opponent throwing a series of punches to that sequence isn't particularly difficult for an astute fighter and his corner to pick up on; particularly when it was well known at the time that that's what Rooney and Tyson were doing. At the same time, knowing what's coming isn't the same as being able to avoid it.

Poet

Comment

Yeah he was predictable. Of course he was. He only fought one way and never changed throughout his career.

Having said that, this is heavyweight boxing and Tyson had the speed and power to knock out anyone. He was predictable, yes. But just knowing what Tyson's gonna do doesn't mean you're gonna stop him doing it. Smarter, more accomplished heavyweights would have deal with him better, but those were few and far between in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
              Yeah he was predictable. Of course he was. He only fought one way and never changed throughout his career.

Having said that, this is heavyweight boxing and Tyson had the speed and power to knock out anyone. He was predictable, yes. But just knowing what Tyson's gonna do doesn't mean you're gonna stop him doing it. Smarter, more accomplished heavyweights would have deal with him better, but those were few and far between in the 80's.
              He was much better early on. In 88 when he decided to go with a black power nobody, he turned into a ****ty fighter. He wasn't very good and it's a wonder he didn't lose before the Douglas fight.

Tyson looked so bad in the Frank Bruno fight I thought at several points throughout that fight that he was going to get KO'd. The post prison version was even worse, but still good enough to beat most HW's of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungJab View Post
                dundee said he was

was he??
                I think that harold lederman called him as predictable as a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                  I think that harold lederman called him as predictable as a hurricane.
                  Yeah but Lederman is an idiot.....JIM!

Poet

Comment

I really don't have any quarrel when someone has him ranked anywhere from 5 to 12 all-time among Heavyweights based on his ability. To my mind that would be picking nits because a fair case can be made ranking him anywhere in that range. It's when people are ranking him in the top-5 or worse at #1 that I take issue with. At the same time I take serious issue with those who have him barely cracking the top-20: That's as mind-blowingly inane as ranking him the GOAT imo.

Poet
                    My problem with judging him is that we know -- in retrospect -- that he was a weak-willed man ( in comparison with boxing greats, not the avg man on the street). He took on the personality of those around him. He was a precocious talent with Cus D'Amato and a thug with Don King.

I was in awe of him in the 80s and devasted when he lost to Buster Douglas, but Holyfield showed what a skilled boxer could do when he wasn't afraid of him.

Is Tyson a TOP 10 or TOP 12 heavyweight? Yeah, I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
                      My problem with judging him is that we know -- in retrospect -- that he was a weak-willed man ( in comparison with boxing greats, not the avg man on the street). He took on the personality of those around him. He was a precocious talent with Cus D'Amato and a thug with Don King.

I was in awe of him in the 80s and devasted when he lost to Buster Douglas, but Holyfield showed what a skilled boxer could do when he wasn't afraid of him.

Is Tyson a TOP 10 or TOP 12 heavyweight? Yeah, I think so.
                      I personally have him at #10 but certainly wouldn't quibble over someone having him a bit higher or a bit lower

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X