Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did Boxers Move Up In Weight In "The Old Days"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to go with evidence rather than hearsay. Athletes have used PEDs whenever and however they've been able to get away with it. Winning is everything. Human nature.

The only athletes that we can be sure aren't using PEDS are the ones who pass legitimate testing. Otherwise they're using.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
      Prior to the widespread adoption of weight-training, anabolic steroids, etc. within the sport of boxing--how did boxers move up in weight successfully?
      This is old school --- meat and potatoes. Sometimes drinking heavy cream.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        --- When I was debating the steroid issue on AOL baseball boards, I embarked 4 months of a heavy weight lifting regime alternating two different sets of daily exercises 6x per week to rest on Sunday like our creator.

All the while I was maintaining my regular boxing type regime of hitting the heavy bag at least 15 straight rounds without rest and then immediately embarking on a 2-3 mile run in my 40 acre park 30 sec away. Maintained my standard diet of pizza, tacos, and BBQ with beer with only an extra portion of meat thrown in for protein. I gained 13% pure muscle as a mature guy already in good shape, and the testa built up by the weightlifting had me swaggering around looking for a fight that I had to constantly put in check.

And I've also got a large skull and trace acne on my back and had so since I was 15 and came into my man strength. Net result is that I proved to all those Nancy drug accusation ninnies that visual physical assessments don't necessarily indicate PED use.

I rather enjoy being right, but of course anyone can misspeak or make a mistake, but how many learn from them?

You proved nothing to anyone except you are a first class churl who never gets tired of his own bull.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
          I tend to go with evidence rather than hearsay. Athletes have used PEDs whenever and however they've been able to get away with it. Winning is everything. Human nature.

The only athletes that we can be sure aren't using PEDS are the ones who pass legitimate testing. Otherwise they're using.

--- So, you default to holding athletes to a higher standard than politicians, business leaders, media, and the drug testers themselves who can't pass their own drug tests?

And our wildlife that has been contaminated by our befouled water pollution?

OK, there it is...

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
            This is old school --- meat and potatoes. Sometimes drinking heavy cream.
            I can go for some meat and potatoes myself.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              I can go for some meat and potatoes myself.
              --- Make that a mesquite grilled filet mignon and baked potootie with sour cream, chives, bacon, cheddar cheese and Parmesan with plenty of beer and I'm game for a good go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Most boxers years ago did not have a lot of amateur experienced so they started in the pros at a young age. If your an 18-19 year old kid weighing you will add some pounds as you mature.
                Sugar Ray went from a young 19 year old weighing 135+ to being the Welter Champion at 147 to the Middleweight Champion at 160.

Some fellows can maintain their original starting point others can't make their original weight as they get older.

Ray
                That's true. Ezzard Charles and Archie Moore started off as middle weights. Charles was 19 when he turned pro and Moore was 22.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  --- Make that a mesquite grilled filet mignon and baked potootie with sour cream, chives, bacon, cheddar cheese and Parmesan with plenty of beer and I'm game for a good go.
                  That combination can also create a long night on the bowl.

Comment

Working...
                  X