No announcement yet.

Title GEL World Bag Gloves -- First Impressions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title GEL World Bag Gloves -- First Impressions

I got the Title GEL World Bag Gloves today. These are the black and white, 20-oz. gloves with the red trim.

I got them in size L. I am a Light Heavyweight with big hands, and I'm a bit concerned about the fit; they're fairly snug around the back of the hand right above the wrist, though the inside of the glove is fairly roomy. The girl I talked to at Title when I ordered them said that they run a little big, so I'll just see if they fit with wraps on.

The gloves are cowhide, very well finished, and look beautiful. The stitching is excellent -- double-stitched along the stress-bearing seams though the piping is only single-stitched -- the red piping is a nice touch, and overall they seem very well built and sleek. There's a definite "wow factor" to them. Edit: I also like the design of the velcro on the wrist closure; it's a small thing, but the wrap is narrow near the D-ring and wider at the end, making them easy to put on with a glove on the other hand and also, the wrap doesn't slip out through the ring, which is a PITA.

The gloves are SMALL overall. So small that I'm not sure my coach will let me use them for sparring; they're about the size of a 12-oz. glove, even though they weigh 20 oz. But because of this, there's a sense of direction and kinetic focus to them and they throw well. I gave them to a buddy of mine here who was NYC Golden Gloves in the 60's, and had him hit my hands and throw a couple of bodyshots at me. (BTW, the old guy can HIT, even at age 60.)

These gloves don't hurt when they hit you; there's not the sting that you get from the Reyes gloves, which is what I was hoping for in a heavy, small glove. And when I punched myself in the head a couple of times, I notice that there's a rebound effect; I predict that the shock will definitely be transferred back to you if you don't snap the punch really hard -- I expect that it will take some tweaking of my style to make them pop. I will probably have a hell of a time knocking someone down with these, as heavy punches will probably not transfer the same force as they would with traditional gloves.

If I don't get good punches with them tonight I will certainly send them back. As a short infighter, I need heavy punches that hurt. I'll throw down the extra $40 and get Reyes.

I'll take them to the gym tonight and will post more when I get back late.
    Last edited by fraidycat; 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM.

I have the same gloves.. but I only use them for bag work/mits.. uhh I think thats what they're supposed to be used for? They are EXCELLENT for bag and mitt work and don't give you the false illusion of huge gloves on your hands.. so when you have your guard up you are training to see what you would if you were in a real fight. I've had these for acouple of weeks, no tears, not even any wearing down. I hit the gym 3-4 hours 5 days a week and these ****ers just won't break! Nothing but good things for me.

PS. I had trouble fitting my hands in with wraps for the first and second time, then they tend to loosen up.

Edit: Yeah, these aren't made to spar. Hence "World BAG gloves".. haha.. and yeesh, why would you wanna knock someone out in sparring? You're an *******!
    Last edited by kryo; 01-23-2007, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kryo View Post
      and yeesh, why would you wanna knock someone out in sparring? You're an *******!
      I said, "Down," not "Out." My fighting style is most effective when the other guy errs on the side of caution. It is therefore in my interest to convince him that he does not want to get hit. I do this by trying to punch holes in him. Only of course, when we are sparring heavy.

How are they for sparring? Do you use yours for sparring?
      Last edited by fraidycat; 01-23-2007, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Why not try the Title Gel Training gloves for sparring instead of the bag gloves, as they are intended for bag/mitt work anyway. Thats what I did, I bought a 12 oz for bag work, mitt work, etc. and 16 oz. for sparring. Good gloves tho, have fun.

Comment

Ooh, they hit good. They are heavy as hell but they give sweet thump. They don't have the sting of the Reyes gloves, which hurt more than anything else I've been hit by, but they certainly deliver heavy punches well. It takes some muscle to snap the jab but for infighting, they are wonderful. They rock the bag big time, too.

Big thumbs up for these.

Comment

lol dude, u need damaging gloves for sparring? thats funny. Ud be screwed at my gym because we used top ten gloves which are extremly forgiving, so ud probably hate em. Why don't you just use gloves that dont hurt your opponents in sparring as easy?

Comment

I ordered a pair of these and now Im waiting for them to get here.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
                lol dude, u need damaging gloves for sparring? thats funny. Ud be screwed at my gym because we used top ten gloves which are extremly forgiving, so ud probably hate em. Why don't you just use gloves that dont hurt your opponents in sparring as easy?
                Like I said above. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want them on the defensive; I want them to WORRY about me hurting them. I'm a 5'9" light heavy but I have a 44 chest that balloons out of a 31 waist, visible cords in my neck, and I look like a guy who may not be bodybuilder beautiful or King Dosia corn-fed Bubba big, but who is immensely strong. I want my first jab off their guard sounding like a cannon. I will throw my cross into their guard now and again just to show them that I can drive it straight through and knock their hands out of position. I wouldn't hit them in the head that hard, but they don't need to know that.

I pull my punches in sparring (unless the other guy doesn't) -- but like I said above, my style works best when my opponent is thinking, "Please, God, don't let me catch one of those." I need the hesitation that accompanies that thought in order for me to close and get inside their guard, where I'm safe. My opponents are almost always taller than me and can connect with ranging jabs and hooks from outside of my long attacking distance, so I need them to back into corners because they're wary of getting smacked, and give me the middle of the ring. The only way I can control the fight is to intimidate the hell out of them. The extra 4 oz. on the gloves helps.
                Last edited by fraidycat; 01-24-2007, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                  Like I said above. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want them on the defensive; I want them to WORRY about me hurting them. I'm a 5'9" light heavy but I have a 44 chest that balloons out of a 31 waist, visible cords in my neck, and I look like a guy who may not be bodybuilder beautiful or King Dosia corn-fed Bubba big, but who is immensely strong. I want my first jab off their guard sounding like a cannon. I will throw my cross into their guard now and again just to show them that I can drive it straight through and knock their hands out of position. I wouldn't hit them in the head that hard, but they don't need to know that.

I pull my punches in sparring (unless the other guy doesn't) -- but like I said above, my style works best when my opponent is thinking, "Please, God, don't let me catch one of those." I need the hesitation that accompanies that thought in order for me to close and get inside their guard, where I'm safe. My opponents are almost always taller than me and can connect with ranging jabs and hooks from outside of my long attacking distance, so I need them to back into corners because they're wary of getting smacked, and give me the middle of the ring. The only way I can control the fight is to intimidate the hell out of them. The extra 4 oz. on the gloves helps.

maybe you should just develop punching power, instead of having to find "hard hitting BAG gloves" to use for sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal Squabbs View Post
                    maybe you should just develop punching power, instead of having to find "hard hitting BAG gloves" to use for sparring.
                    I have punching power. I want more power.

Comment

Working...
                    X