Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so much pressure on old ATG's but nothing on the young lions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so much pressure on old ATG's but nothing on the young lions?

Cotto, Pac, & Mayweather get a lot of hate in regards to their opponent choices. I wont be one of those posters that say they have nothing to prove anymore because anyone that knows a fighter, there is always something to prove, its just not the same as what a 20something year old has to.

Anyways, my question is, why do Floyd, Pac, and Cotto get so much hate from fans and the media for opponent choices? We have 17 divisions in boxing and like 4 or 5 unified champs. With most divisions having 4 different champs that show no interest in each other for various excuses?

Seems pretty hypocritical to me...

Mayweather retired,Cotto is a bum now and Pac is old and broke fighting bums. The young guys should fight each other. Whats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NYC8224 View Post
      Mayweather retired,Cotto is a bum now and Pac is old and broke fighting bums. The young guys should fight each other. Whats the problem?
      Mayweather is retired yet people want him to comeback to fight GGG lol A 40yo WW

Cotto is a bum but he should fight GGG lol A late 30s small Jr. MW that has been beaten 5x's & 2 by an accumulative beating.

Pac is old and broke but he duckin TC in his late 30s. The guy has been beaten (outboxed 3x's & KO'd 3x's) lol damn how many more times do we wanna see him beaten?

^^^thats the problem^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        Cotto, Pac, & Mayweather get a lot of hate in regards to their opponent choices. I wont be one of those posters that say they have nothing to prove anymore because anyone that knows a fighter, there is always something to prove, its just not the same as what a 20something year old has to.

Anyways, my question is, why do Floyd, Pac, and Cotto get so much hate from fans and the media for opponent choices? We have 17 divisions in boxing and like 4 or 5 unified champs. With most divisions having 4 different champs that show no interest in each other for various excuses?

Seems pretty hypocritical to me...
        Floyd is retired. Pressure is based not on their age, but the fact that they still get premium TV fights.

I don't care if Cotto fights Kirkland or Manny fights Horn. However, it annoys me that they get premium dates and resources from HBO, even the PPV fights, that could be used to put on better fights between lesser known fighters OR could be used to produce more BAD cards where unknown fighters get valuable TV time.

I think the sport benefits most when resources are used to grow the sport by enhancing the profile of fighters that are just about to hit their primes or have a long career ahead of them. That is why I prefer Cotto and Manny and any aging veteran with a huge fanbase be put in fights with guys like Crawford, Andrade, Charlo or Thurman and why I wanted Floyd's last fight to be Thurman or GGG instead of Berto.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Mayweather is retired yet people want him to comeback to fight GGG lol A 40yo WW

Cotto is a bum but he should fight GGG lol A late 30s small Jr. MW that has been beaten 5x's & 2 by an accumulative beating.

Pac is old and broke but he duckin TC in his late 30s. The guy has been beaten (outboxed 3x's & KO'd 3x's) lol damn how many more times do we wanna see him beaten?

^^^thats the problem^^^
          I never said those things so dont include me

Comment

i agree, pacman might be faded but a faded pacman is still clearly levels above elite fighters like bradley. We all want to see crawford/spence/thurman/garcia to fight the no.1 in the divsion and they all seem ...to not want to try and be a superstar?

They are content with fighting sub level guys for millions,...or maybe arum is 'protecting' pac? that doesnt make sense, he's at the end of his career anyway.

either way it's a ****show and boxing is dying as a result...

Comment

I've always said this very thing. Granted, when a guy is holding a belt, he needs to defend appropriately so I won't argue that. But, this idea that you're either at the top or you need to retire (which is what a lot of people here espouse, whether they realize they're doing it or not) is poison for the sport.

Take Matthysse. People were calling for his retirement when he quit on Postol. He'd lost only twice in like 11 fights/4 years, and one of them was to the champ. No reason that the 2nd tier guys shouldn't be able to hang around. This sport has become; you are interesting while you're undefeated, you get a 2nd chance, then you are irrelevant.

Comment

It's understandable that these great or very good older fighters pick and chose their opponents to a certain extent. There are limits to how bad of opponent they can fight and not have fans complain. Cotto fighting Kirkland, Pacquiao perhaps fighting Horn, and Mayweather's goodbye fight with Berto push the limits of fans being pleased with such poor opponents.

Comment

I find it crazy that Floyd and Pac can still beat all the new up and comers. Those two are legit ATGs in a division that has been pretty deep.

Comment

Working...
                  X