No announcement yet.

Kevin Mitchell retiring!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Mitchell retiring!

According to Mitchell's Facebook, he will be announcing his retirement on Sky in about 2 hours! He was good little fighter. I would say his best win was his thriller with John Murray. What do you guys think?

Probably the right decision.

Good fighter who was just short of world champion calibre. He got it wrong a few times and also negatively impacted his career with his out of the ring problems, but all things considered he was a good fighter. I actually thought he was good enough to win a world title, but he got his first two attempts completely wrong.

The Murray fight was indeed terrific, FOTY candidate.

Comment

That's surprising. The last interview I saw with him was a few weeks ago and he said he thinks he could still win a world title.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
        That's surprising. The last interview I saw with him was a few weeks ago and he said he thinks he could still win a world title.
        Yea I think he could definitely still compete but will always come up short against the top guys in the division. He had the skills, speed/power and ability but his defence was shite compounded by an okay chin.

Had trouble outside the ring but got plenty of chances to prove himself inside it and he did a few times. Good performance against Linares but was a bit fortunate to get past Maduma.

I remember his fight against Breidis Prescott, not longer after Prescott had battered Khan and lost a close decision to Vazquez (who for the next few years was #1 at lightweight). Mitchell came in and gave Prescott a master class, everything looked on point that night even his defence!

One of the best not to win a world title? I'd disagree, I think Burns was very beatable but Mitchell folded and his lack of defence cost him. Very unfortunate at times, could've been a world champ and I've just checked BoxRec to refresh my memory and Kats went on to fight JMM after Mitchell - that could've been Kevin Mitchell fighting instead!

Comment

He was a skilled fighter, but as everyone said, just fell short at world title level.

Then again, much worse fighters than him have held world titles but it just didn't happen for him. He didn't live the lifestyle of an athlete until the last couple of years which probably didn't help either.

Comment

Iv'e always enjoyed watching Mitchell. I agree with what others have said; he had the ability, and if he had shown the same dedication in the first half of his career, that he did in the second..he probably would have got that world title. Ultimately, he fell a little short.

Loved his fight against Linares, and i was there to watch his fight against Murray which was another fun fight.

Comment

Kevin Mitchell retires: Which of his fights are The Panel's favourite?

Jim Watt
              He had so many [great fights], so it was hard to choose but the Carl Johanneson fight was my favourite. It was so exciting. He was out of it on several occasions that night but he just kept digging in. We knew Mitchell was an amazingly talented young kid and it all looked like it was falling into place - until then.
              It was the first time he had to dig in and grind out a result and that will stay with me. It was a terrific performance. Johanneson was hard and Mitchell showed that he had that in abundance as well. It was his first real test, but he came through it.

Johnny Nelson
              It was one that brought the best out of him... John Murray. Mitchell showed just how good his technique was. He showed his power and to get through that fight showed us just what he had. It was a rough, uncut diamond performance from Mitchell.
              They were perfectly matched. There wasn't much size difference and it was an even fight, but Mitchell's boxing ability took over and we all saw just how good he could be. We saw it against Prescott or Estrada too. Boy, could Kevin Mitchell box. Especially on that night against Murray.

Glenn McCrory
              For me it was Breidis Prescott. For a start it was in Newcastle, right on my doorstep but that was a very, very dangerous fight. The Colombian had beaten Amir Khan in devastating fashion but Kev had absolutely no fear at all.
              I remember chatting to him at the weigh-in and he was up for it. He'd been out for a while and his career was in jeopardy but that fight was just the best Kevin Mitchell. He just boxed Prescott to bits, all night long. Absolutely superb.

Carl Froch
              Funnily enough I was watching the Murray fight the other day but - and I hate to say it because of the result - but that Jorge Linares fight was special. We all thought Kevin was on his way to finally win that world title and he looked so, so good. But those cuts, those bad injuries, put a stop to it. It was such a shame.
              Mitchell was polished that night and even though he'd missed out before, against Linares he looked like he had not only arrived back on the world scene but was going to be a world champion. Forget the result, remember what was a quality performance against a top-level opponent.

Jamie Moore
              The one that stands out as Mitchell's best win is probably the John Murray fight. That was a cracking fight and a great performance. There was also Carl Johanneson years ago. The Jorge Linares fight was probably his best performance because he boxed out of his skin.
              His best pure boxing performance was probably against Breidis Prescott, because he showed lots of variety in style. So in conclusion, I think the win over Murray and the heroic defeat against Linares. I know he also lost to the likes of Michael Katsidis but that was down to preparation and him not putting in the work that he should have.

Kevin Mitchell
              I've had so many highlights but walking out at The O2 for the Jorge Linares fight and hearing the fans cheering for me and singing 'Forever Blowing Bubbles' was just an unbelievable feeling.
              I've always been close to the fight fans both in Britain and around the world, and I want to thank them for all their love and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                Iv'e always enjoyed watching Mitchell. I agree with what others have said; he had the ability, and if he had shown the same dedication in the first half of his career, that he did in the second..he probably would have got that world title.
                Second this. I felt that when he rededicated himself we'd get the enjoyment of seeing him win a world title an have a nice little redemptive tale to boot. I feel for him that he wasn't able to achieve that.

The Katsidis fight was a pivotal moment in his career for me.

Comment

Working...
                X