No announcement yet.

Advice for double end bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for double end bag?

My coach recently started bringing out the double end bag. Not really for me, but more for a few of the other more advanced guys who go to the gym. I tried it out for a few seconds and it felt extremely weird or different. I was only fooling around with it briefly, but it seemed rather difficult to really get into a rhythm. Any tips for those just starting out on the double end bag?

here is a few videos i did... it just take practice it will get easy after a few weeks. you can buy a small tennis ball one of of amazon that might help

Double End Bag | Rhythm and Timing Dril
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnMOi4tLE1k

Double End Bag Drill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crx-zLbPWfU

Comment

Depending how tight they are hung, they can behave very differently.
      Tight, and you can only beat at it in repetition, almost like a speed bag.
      Loose, and you can slip the bag as it rebounds toward you, integrate hooks and uppercuts, etc. I really like to use them when they're loose and have a long rebound. One of the most useful tools in the gym.

Another thing that the double-end does is that it makes you develop timing, the moment in which you tense your muscles at impact. If you try to muscle it, you'll have an awful time. Just work on the "pop", "pop", "pop", of applying power just at the right moment. Your work on the heavy bag and in sparring will be more fluid, faster, and less fatiguing.

Comment

One of the best bits of kit in your gym, timing is key on it, dont approach it with same attitude of a heavy bag, its more like an uppercut bag but with a bit more weight

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Erm View Post
          here is a few videos i did... it just take practice it will get easy after a few weeks. you can buy a small tennis ball one of of amazon that might help

Double End Bag | Rhythm and Timing Dril
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnMOi4tLE1k

Double End Bag Drill
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crx-zLbPWfU
          Thanks dude I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Depending how tight they are hung, they can behave very differently.
            Tight, and you can only beat at it in repetition, almost like a speed bag.
            Loose, and you can slip the bag as it rebounds toward you, integrate hooks and uppercuts, etc. I really like to use them when they're loose and have a long rebound. One of the most useful tools in the gym.

Another thing that the double-end does is that it makes you develop timing, the moment in which you tense your muscles at impact. If you try to muscle it, you'll have an awful time. Just work on the "pop", "pop", "pop", of applying power just at the right moment. Your work on the heavy bag and in sparring will be more fluid, faster, and less fatiguing.
            Thanks Foxx. I can always count on you in the training & nutrition section.

Comment

I honest find the double end bag a semi useless exercise , I think of it as a filler for boxing workouts.

Comment

When you start getting better at it mix in throwing upper cuts.

It doesn't sound like a big deal but a lot of guys don't use upper cuts much because most bags aren't very conducive for them. But double end bag is perect for training it.

I stole that from Marquez is one of the best boxers in history at mixing up upper cuts mid combo, which is pretty rare, saw him doing it on the double end and realized that's why hes so good at it.

Comment

Working...
                X