Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN+ is the worst deal for Boxing, it will not help Boxing or builc new stars

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN+ is the worst deal for Boxing, it will not help Boxing or builc new stars

This is a stupid move by Top Rank to put Pacquiao Mattysse on ESPN+ and Terence Crawford Vs Horn on there as well

Nobody is going to watch that, why would they do that it doesn't make any new fans, you have to pay for that service

the best thing was to make Crawford Horn on regular ESPN, or a low price ppv for ESPN like 39.99

Why in the hell would you put your boxing shows on a streaming service that will not attract casuals to boxing.

Boxing is not UFC, Boxing needs new fans and as much free coverage as possible bad move in my opinion to put big fights on that streaming service as opposed to regular ESPN

Ya, i thought Top Rank went to ESPN to give boxing a more mainstream position in the sports world. Instead, they're locking all of their big fighters outside of Loma behind a paywall. The only benefit is the $5 a month charge which is good if you're use to paying $60 for a HBO or Showtime PPV.

Comment

Agreed. I would have paid for Crawford/Horn PPV. I'll stream on VPN instead of supporting this bull**** ESPN+ garbage.

Comment

People are still interested in Pacquiao from a casual standpoint. Not to pay 60 dollars for a ppv, but i think they will fork over the 5 dollars a month to watch. Crawford on the other hand should be on ESPN like Loma was to build a little more of a following.

Comment

Originally posted by downklown View Post
          Ya, i thought Top Rank went to ESPN to give boxing a more mainstream position in the sports world. Instead, they're locking all of their big fighters outside of Loma behind a paywall. The only benefit is the $5 a month charge which is good if you're use to paying $60 for a HBO or Showtime PPV.
          yeah its real stupid

who the hell is going to pay for some boxers they neer heard of before? Crawford and Horn are not household names, nobody is getting that service to watch boxing, they using it for other sports if anything

this is limiting their reach

Should have just put it on a lower priced PPV or on regular ESPN or ESPN2

Crawford vs Horn is going to be a dam good fight, It seems Arum only has love for Lomachenko since he lets him fight on ESPN instead of plus, or maybe its ESPN brass picking who they want to be featured on regular cable?

Also that Pacquiao fight on ESPN plus makes no sense either, its not going to get him much money from that limited reach of a new streaming service, if anything Arum should have just convinced him to have it on regular ESPN and just focus on international buys and sponsors, sometimes you have to be realistic in these terms

Pac should get at least 10 million tops for that Lucas fight, if he was wanting 20 million he is not going to get that on ESPN +

heck he could have just jumped ship to HBO or Showtime and got more or Pac could have just signed to UFC boxing, Dana White would easily push Pac big for his last 3 fights before retiring.

Comment

When Pacquiao fought Horn on regular ESPN there were a couple of my friends who don't watch boxing but said they actually watched that fight. Pretty much because they had heard of Manny Pacquiao and he just happened to be fighting on regular ESPN. There's absolutely zero chance those same people would subscribe to ESPN+ to watch him.

Comment

it's the cost of a cup of coffee... Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me

Comment

When the app does well, how do you think this thread will look?

Comment

Well let's wait and see. Ancajas-Sultan on May 26 will be the first boxing event on ESPN+ and this fight between 2 two top notch SuperFlys is not expected to gather massive viewers. Next is Crawford-Horn in June and it might pull some new subscribers to ESPN+. Pacquiao-Mathysse in July will be the real test if ESPN+ platform is working. You can easily gauge it against past Pacquiao fights.

Comment

hectari is such a cynical poster..

Comment

Working...
                    X