Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Callum Smith Drops Financial Ball in Sidestepping Canelo's 168 Return

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cobra Curry View Post
    Thanks.

If he's originally asked for 10, surely it's reasonable to think he'd have accepted ~8? It's a negotiation after all.
    Smith is saying he was expecting a bit of back and forth with Golden Boy which never happened.

For me, either fight is fine. I just don't see the need to throw Smith under the bus.
    If Golden Boy offered let's say 7M and Smith asked for 10M but Saunders got the same offer and is saying I'll fight for 8M they negotiate and land at 7.75M that's why BJS landed the fight. His demand after getting the first offer was LESS then Smith. If they offered 7M and got somebody else saying I'll fight 8M why would they negotiate with the fool asking for 10M you don't get another offer when you overshoot your price.

Stop making this complicated Golden Boy isn't obligated to keep giving offers to someone demanding far more then he's worth. Both Smith and BJS have been making only 1M or less their last fights and the first offer was already a career payday. Even to date Smith knows what BJS ultimately got and isn't saying I would of took that final offer. He's just saying I would of fought for less then I asked if they would of kept giving more offers then what I demanded LMAO That's not how it works next time lead with the money that is reasonably close to what you would of accepted he asked for too much and BJS asked for less closer to the first offer so he got the golden ticket and Smith get's nothing. He priced himself out the fight.
    Last edited by bigdunny1; 03-10-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by belerof View Post
      thank god saunders is much better oponent and depend how he came he could have a legit shot against canelo.

at least it would be a fun fight
      Callum Smith would murder BJS.

Comment

Jeff horn dirty fighter

Jeff horns is nicknamed the dirty fighter of this era...he like to use his forehead as weapons to headbutt opponents to cut up their faces up

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
          Callum Smith would murder BJS.
          I'm not so sure. It would be a 50-40-10 fight regardless (10 being luck). But Smith losing to Ryder would've been a much fairer result than him winning by landslide.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
            I'm not so sure. It would be a 50-40-10 fight regardless (10 being luck). But Smith losing to Ryder would've been a much fairer result than him winning by landslide.
            Yeah, they both looked pretty ****ty in their last outing. BJS looked like he came back from a 5-yr retirement against Coceres. I think Smith and BJS at their very best is a good fight, but I do think Smith wins.

Comment

There is a myth being peddled that Smith turned down some transformative amount that dwarfed any previous payday.

For example, ODLH said, 'Callum Smith turned down the fight and he would have made three to four times the money he has ever made.'

But, for the WBSS final against Groves, ESPN reported that Smith earned 'most of the $10 million purse.'

So, we don't know exact numbers, but we do know that OLDH was stating a clear lie. It sounds like they offered him similar -- perhaps even less -- than he earned for fighting Groves.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post

But, for the WBSS final against Groves, ESPN reported that Smith earned 'most of the $10 million purse.
                That explains his bargaining position.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post
                  There is a myth being peddled that Smith turned down some transformative amount that dwarfed any previous payday.

For example, ODLH said, 'Callum Smith turned down the fight and he would have made three to four times the money he has ever made.'

But, for the WBSS final against Groves, ESPN reported that Smith earned 'most of the $10 million purse.'

So, we don't know exact numbers, but we do know that OLDH was stating a clear lie. It sounds like they offered him similar -- perhaps even less -- than he earned for fighting Groves.
                  He didn't make 10M LMAO and the WBSS has never released the fight by fight purses. They released a number of what the total prizes for all the winners was but no breakdown per fight or per division. There was a report the total prizes for Super Middleweight was 8M but that likely is broken up for the entire tournament meaning the most you would win by becoming champion not what he won for 1 fight against Groves. He fought 3 fights in the WBSS and made probably 8M in total winnings for all those fights.

Smith or his team haven't said that Canelo's offer wasn't by far his career payday for 1 fight. And bringing up total winnings for a entire tournament just to equal the amount he turned down for 1 fight against Canelo doesn't help his case. He had to fight 3 times to make what Canelo offered 1 night
                  Last edited by bigdunny1; 03-10-2020, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
                    Canelo missed a fight date last year because he couldn’t make a deal. It’s a date he was promoted and implied he would be fighting on, didn’t happen. So who got ripped off? The subs. Remember when he said he was going to fight four times in a year? He might not even fight this May, it’s not even official yet. They can say the best are asking too much but it doesn’t change the fact that that’s what it costs. Miss the date or fight someone who comes cheap. Who loses out there? The subs. Canelo doesn’t fight as often as advertised. That screws the subs. Do u get it? Would u really pay for DAZN and be happy to not see Canelo fight the best possible opponent or even fight at all because ur concerned the biggest cash cow might have to overpay them? They’re all overpaid!!!! If Canelo misses the date again or fights a much lesser opponent only the fans get screwed. Ur subscription will cost the same it Canelo misses the date or it he fights a bum. Team Canelo ain’t broke why u concerned with their pocket? If Canelo fights someone worth one Tenth of BJS or Smith will Canelo make any less that what he woulda vs either of them?!!!
                    Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                      Massive idiot!

Because now, when Canelo wins the WBO belt, he's not going to have any leverage. He'll have to accept even less.
                      THIS ^^^ Canelo doesn't care about unifying these belts at 168. And he only stopped at 168 looking for a title holder because he didn't want to go immediately from 175 back to 160 his next fight. His next 3 fights are BJS, GGG and Murata. The last 2 could be with Canelo going back and staying at 160.

Smith or any other title holder at 168 might not be in the mix if he stays at 160. Once Canelo has a full strap at 168 if he stays at the 168 he has no need to ever fight Smith. Smith will have less leverage because Canelo has his own belt and can just fight anyone from 160 telling them move up to 168 if they want the fight. He can even tell guys at 175 to come down to 168 and now all will be championship fights at 168. I think it's more likely Smith loses before Canelo is even done with his next 3 fights (BJS, GGG, Murata) especially based on Smith getting beat by a guy like Ryder. His leverage was Canelo needed a real belt at 168 but he will get that by beating BJS.

Comment

Working...
                      X