Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing the left hook-plant on the left foot, or back foot??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing the left hook-plant on the left foot, or back foot??

So a trainer at my gym who has been doing this pretty long told me i have been throwing the left hook completely wrong this whole time. I was taught to plant on your left foot, shift forward, and put the your weight on it and torque it to the right as you execute the left hook. He told me I have it completely backwards and wrong and taught me a technique where you still pivot w/ the left foot but ALL your weight is on your back foot when throwing the left hook. To be honest, it's hard to tell when watching the pros and all the videos on youtube say to shift your weight on your left foot and plant...but trying his way feels more natural and powerful. Can everyone please give me their input? I want to learn the right way and make sure I don't pick up bad habits. Thanks.

To me... Both of them are right given the particular situation. If the opponent is coming at you and you are backing up with almost a check hook style then my weight would be mostly on my back foot. If I was doing more of a come forward reaching left hook more would be on my front left foot. If hes planely standing in front of me, Im pretty even on my weight on both feet, but I favor my front front.

A few different ways can work, we are all built differently, with different muscle and speed attributes, different levels of coordination. To me finding the best way you can leverage your shot for your body to get the most power out of it as found through repetition and practice.

There are wrong ways to throw the left hook, but there isnt one correct way imo.

Comment

Depends on when you throwing it and which way provides most leverage there's so many different ways to throw a left hook it's unreal from where you put your weight to how you turn your hand so my suggestion use both

Comment

both are correct in different situations.

the traditional hook has always been taught where your weights tranferred to your left foot.

now "pulling" a hook, where you transfer the weight to the back foot, can generate some crazy power. Use it on guys who are agressive and on opponents that like to stand in front of you. get a guy hurt and on the ropes you should definately pull a hook there, crazy momentum generated through your entire body. it's a good hook but does take longer to pull of, just be sure to turn it over with the elbow arching high.

one thing that you can do off of the pull hook is let your momentum take you to your right, take the cross step to your right with your front foot, bring your right foot solid behind you and then look for whats open, better yet make your own opening. If you do this properly you will have taken the side on your opponent where you can now throw what you want, your opponent is out of position and at your mercy.
        Last edited by Rockin'; 06-04-2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I was allways tought that you rotate in with your left foot while throwing the left hook.

dont see how this is possible if your left foot is planted.

id listen to your coach as my coach told me the same thing, you plant the back foot.

Comment

I end up with my weight transferred to my left foot. Doesn't generate a lot of power, but I've never been one to care about punching power.

Comment

so its like this, you throw a right straight, and your back foot heel comes off the ground.

as you return to normal stance from throwing the right straight, you bring your back foot heel down flat, and pivot with your lead foot as you throw the hook.

your weight is over your lead foot a little but the foot your actually planting flat is your back foot.

planting this stiffens the punch and makes your whole body more ridged/sturdy, making the punch harder.

Comment

When you throw a left hook, or left uppercut, the weight ends up on your right leg. Then you can throw a right hand. When you throw a right hand, the weight ends up on your left foot, so you can throw a left hook.

Comment

I've always thrown left hook by planting my left foot.

I might try the other way.

Comment

spatacus sully is good with his advise.

i was able to generate a whipping snap where if that hook landed perfectly on the snap the guy would be mine for a few seconds to abuse as i desired. this was all "pulling" the hook, transfering the weight to the back foot and using the bodies momentum to let the power flow from your legs, with the hips and to the end of your fist, snapping the hook at the peak of the power. its a sharp shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X