Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is your number ONE favorite all time boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would've liked if he got the nod both times against Spinks and then retired at 50-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I would've liked if he got the nod both times against Spinks and then retired at 50-0.
      And I remember me and my friends weren’t impressed by the choice of Spinks as the ’49-0’ victim, because it was a safe pick. Heavy champs don’t lose to light heavies champ.

But we understood there would be a ’50-0’ fight after that, and expected it to be against a more worthy challenger.

That’s how we saw it back then, before the 1st Spinks encounter …

Comment

..."Spinks as the ’49-0’ victim, because it was a safe pick. Heavy champs don’t lose to light heavies champ"

I understand that thought however Spinks at that time was not hobbled with leg injuries like he was against Tyson. He was prime and in terrific shape moving from 175 to 200lbs & 205lbs. Mike Spinks had the "Spinks Jinx" right hand and that right hand was the heaviest since Bob Foster's.
        This was not a safe opponent at all and at Holmes age (37 yrs) in with a young strong champ who threw in combination and was a champion on every level he fought at their were much easier opponents to choose.
        Mike Spinks is a top five Lightheavy all time, Moore gave Marciano a good go, Conn did it too with Louis, Robinson had the lightheavy title won if it wasn't for ridiculous heat temps.
        Talent can over ride size and in Spinks vs Holmes Larry had a little over 20 lbs on him and it meant Larry was carrying 7-8 pounds over his prime and the added years.
        I personally think that Spinks didn't take the title the way a challenger should however Mike was up to the challenge.
        Ray

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Alexis Arguello is my all time favourite.

Why?

First fighter I truley followed when I was old enough to follow the sport properly. Amazingly fluid and skilled but also a warrior with extreme power. Way ahead of his time. My first love really, will always have a place in my heart. I would have loved to have met him.

The rest of my top 5 favourites for anyone who's interested;

Harold Johnson
          Carlos Monzon
          Dick Tiger
          Floyd Mayweather
          First saw the guy in the second Escalera fight and was an instant fan. I don't think I ever missed any televised fight he had after that. Great talented style for his build.

Comment

One man:

Comment

Working...
            X