Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the POTUS Legally Block People on Twitter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      The POTUS or any elected official can't stop you from engaging in any topic just the ones the POTUS or official brings up in their specific TL.

Who says the POTUS or elected officials HAVE to read the things you write online or its a problem?

If every letter that gets written to the POTUS or elected official isn't opened & read by them is that a problem? If every email thats sent to the POTUS or elected official isn't read by them is that a problem? If every voicemail thats left for the POTUS or elected official isn't listened to by them is that a problem?

Cmon man. You got the right to talk about your political opinions, but politicians don't GOTTA listen, read, hear them if they choose not to from how I understand things with the 1st amendment.

If there is something else the POTUS is doing here wrong idk, but the 1st amendment argument seems silly.
      It's not that the president have to read it it's that you can't even voice dissent

Once you run for office you have a constituency you can't pick who they are a congressional office can't legally block phone numbers of people because they don't like what they have to say

This isn't the same as you blocking annoying people because you don't have obligations to those annoying people
      Last edited by Phenom; 03-08-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        It's not that the president have to read it it's that you can't even voice dissent
        How so? They can still disagree (or agree) with his stances. They just can't engage him with personally on that specific platform.

Once you run for office you have a constituency you can't pick who they are a congressional office can't legally block phone numbers of people because they don't like what they have to say
        Link to that being a law or some previous court case or w/e? Never heard that if its correct.

That said I'm not entirely comfortable saying thats an apples to apples comparison to social media platforms, but it would make the debate more blurry I'd agree.

Comment

How so? They can still disagree (or agree) with his stances. They just can't engage him with personally on that specific platform.
          It's a public platform and if I'm not mistaken @ potus is an official US government account again it's not a matter of him personally answering it's a matter access

Link to that being a law or some previous court case or w/e? Never heard that if its correct.

That said I'm not entirely comfortable saying thats an apples to apples comparison to social media platforms, but it would make the debate more blurry I'd agree.
          I don't know of a specific court case but it would fall under the right of the people to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
          Last edited by Phenom; 03-08-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

they better throw this shit out quick all we needs is more regulation on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              I don't know of a specific court case but it would fall under the right of the people to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
              Idek how they'd prove that so yea that seemed off to me.

And wtf does a "redress of grievances" even do????

Comment

It's not a government or official POTUS twitter account...it's his own personal twitter account he's had since before he was in government. He has as much right to block whoever he wants as anyone else on twitter does.

Comment

I just looked it up @ POTUS and @ VP are official government accounts

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                    It's not a government or official POTUS twitter account.
                    Are you implying it would be illegal or a problem if it was a official POTUS account?

Comment

Are you implying it would be illegal or a problem if it was a official POTUS account?
                      I'm not sure TBO but I was under the impression the account being discussed was @realDonaldTrump...in which case I would say no one can tell him who he can block or not with it.

*EDIT* yeah I just checked your OP...it's his personal account. He can do what he wants with it...no question.

And it would probably be OK for the POTUS to have control of what goes into the official POTUS as well to answer your question. He's the President.
                      Last edited by jaded; 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X